ISRAEL IS AT WAR !

Social Media

3 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Battle ground weapons. They don't make a big bang.

For destroying small targets, modern conventional munitions were found to be just as effective as nuclear weapons. The only advantage of nuclear weapons in a tactical situation is that one warhead can be used in place of many conventional explosives

https://www.britannica.com/technology/tactical-nuclear-weapon

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

For destroying small targets, modern conventional munitions were found to be just as effective as nuclear weapons. The only advantage of nuclear weapons in a tactical situation is that one warhead can be used in place of many conventional explosives

https://www.britannica.com/technology/tactical-nuclear-weapon

Yes. Understand that. Slightly off topic. At the height of the Cold War in the 80's the NATO policy was that if Russian forces couldn't be stopped on the plains of Germany in 4 days the nuclear option would be used.

Certainly, this attack will have been a big, unexpected blow for Israel, but another thing is that the Palestinians will pay a major price for this in the coming days and weeks. Possibly, Palestinians will suffer  casualities in the thousands very soon. And, also, Palestianians are likely to lose more land to Israel in the near future. 

And, sadly, as most us will agree, I am sure, while the chance for a lasting peace over there was maybe around only 5-10 percent before this attack, now, it has been reduced to 0.00000001 percent for many generations to come. 

Sad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thorgal said:

Apparently part of the Palestinian plan (seen on footage) is to transfer as many Israelis as possible to Gaza to prevent air strikes and further bargaining.

After such a carnage by Hamas, I don't see Netanyahu 'taking it easy' and even negotiating with Hamas for hostages. He is going to strike hard, and possibly a land operation into Gaza is coming very soon, I think.

Of course, I could be wrong. We shall understand soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morch said:

They will probably be released soon. The Israeli hostages, not so much.

Sadly, I don't think they are going to release ANY hostage anytime soon. It seems like Hamas has decided to 'go all out'. They might not kill them, but I don't see a release of any hostage anytime soon.

4 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Now  Gaza has no power , Power stations not working

So it's confirmed that the 2nd largest power station in Israel has been damaged today by Hamas rockets.

No presumed false pictures of 2014...Thanks !

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

So it's confirmed that the 2nd largest power station in Israel has been damaged today by Hamas rockets.

No presumed false pictures of 2014...Thanks !

It was indeed, damaged. Production and operations already resumed, though - but no electricity to be supplied to the Gaza Strip for now. As for the pictures, forgive my doubts, as it would been a first for you.

27 minutes ago, JemJem said:

Sadly, I don't think they are going to release ANY hostage anytime soon. It seems like Hamas has decided to 'go all out'. They might not kill them, but I don't see a release of any hostage anytime soon.

If they were Westerners, maybe. But there's little to be gained from holding Thai and Philippines citizens. Releasing them would 'demonstrate' that the Hamas fight is vs. Israel alone, and will show 'goodwill', which they will no doubt need when begging for reconstruction funds a couple of months down the road.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

Yes. Understand that. Slightly off topic. At the height of the Cold War in the 80's the NATO policy was that if Russian forces couldn't be stopped on the plains of Germany in 4 days the nuclear option would be used.

They had neutron bombs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

This “war” is an inevitable result of Israel’s continued occupation and oppression. It will happen again and again and again…. until the world imposes a two state solution giving each people a homeland with clearly defined borders. In such an asymmetrical fight, many of Hamas’s actions will be barbaric, but honestly, what are their options?

The Hamas is not in favor of a two-state solution. The Gaza Strip is not occupied, and was not even under 'siege' (by both Israel and Egypt) if it weren't for the Hamas's actions and agenda.

So while contemplating a two-state solution is a worthy notion, it requires acknowledging facts and reality.

As for options - non-violent protests seem to be a thing. Not very popular among Palestinians, though.

1 minute ago, MrMojoRisin said:

The outcome of this conflict is not in doubt. 

When the dust has settled, there will be both Palestinian and Israeli death tolls.

Israel will not know peace until as long as it continues to deny Palestinians a homeland

The same goes for Palestinians, and their lot is already worse than the Israelis.

Hamas denies Israelis right for a homeland.

56 minutes ago, JemJem said:

Hamas is continuing like this morning to send DIY rockets to Israel, this time to Tel Aviv.

Ashkelon is empty.

32 minutes ago, Morch said:

It was indeed, damaged. Production and operations already resumed, though - but no electricity to be supplied to the Gaza Strip for now. As for the pictures, forgive my doubts, as it would been a first for you.

Given the fact that Thorgal makes it his practice not to provide links, your doubts were entirely reasonable.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Thorgal said:

When the Hamas militants of Gaza will reach the Hamas factions of the West Bank you have a different situation.

It can spread in uncontrollable urban warfare in all directions over the Israeli territories. 

If additional Hezbollah militia is coming from the north you know now already that you're outnumbered with your IDF military personnel.

Watching the videos of the Gazanians  inside Israel during the invasion , they look completely disorganised and they seem to be just running around in all different directions and shouting and firing guns and waving their hands around and videoing themselves and they don't seem to have one purpose , I doubt whether they will last long in Israel , Football hooligans are much better organised than them 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Israel is its own worst enemy. Secularism, on both sides, is the only path to peace.

This here article is about Hamas attacking Israel. Hamas is an Islamic movement and organization. Maybe they are the Palestinians' worst enemy?

2 hours ago, Morch said:

Once this will be over (the fighting at least, not the hostage negotiations), heads will roll in the IDF. With all their investment in surveillance and intelligence gathering, they should have, at the very least, raise the alarm while hundreds of people made for the border. Then there's the lame response from stationed troops and the very slow reaction time of reinforcements. Considering Hamas is Israel's weakest opponent.... 

I don't think the head rolling will stop with the IDF. Clearly, Netanyahu is in peril. If the coalition survives, someone more extreme will most likely replace him. Moving further and further to the right has been a consistent trend in Israeli politics.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Watching the videos of the Gazanians  inside Israel during the invasion , they look completely disorganised and they seem to be just running around in all different directions and shouting and firing guns and waving their hands around and videoing themselves and they don't seem to have one purpose , I doubt whether they will last long in Israel , Football hooligans are much better organised than them 

It can seems like that, but it's not. There were at least two waves of attacks (initially). The first one was carried out quite efficiently by 'proper' Hamas fighters. Later on others joined, some apparently more enthusiastic than organized. Granted, they do not have full military training etc. but they did manage to surprise the IDF, and at least in some places, still fighting even now.

Underestimating the Hamas is, perhaps, one of the things that made this attack possible.