Yamaha Grand Filano electric starting problem

kwak250

My wife's Grand Filano has started having starting problems for the last couple of months

It started off with holding the start for about 3 seconds but now it almost is impossible.(but will start)

Putting it on the stand and it will kickstart first kick easily

So changed the battery and it was exactly the same 

Changed the spark plug but still the same

Took it to Yamaha which are about 30k away and they say they would need a couple of days at least and to leave it with them and thought i would ask on here

I was thinking a new brush set would fix it or starter motor.
Its cheap to replace these and less hassle than having her without a bike ,

9ba27838dbf625ee35cb5fb5416470a1.jpg

c2488c181ef82afd9c2469dc3ae6f1c1.jpg

Edited by kwak250

The future: horror aka electric nonsense EV supporting cobalt children slavery in africa for a better clean world.

yup, that <deleted> breaks all the time, imagine using it on islands with corrosion.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The future: horror aka electric nonsense EV supporting cobalt children slavery in africa for a better clean world.

yup, that <deleted> breaks all the time, imagine using it on islands with corrosion.

The confused person again seems to not understand that if the entire scooter is electric, on low quality standards, its easy to get all sorts of problems fast.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The confused person again seems to not understand that if the entire scooter is electric, on low quality standards, its easy to get all sorts of problems fast.

But this is not an EV scooter ! 

Scooter is 7 years old so not sure if that's getting problems fast?

Seems like someone is confused !

Edited by kwak250
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kwak250 said:

My wife's Grand Filano has started having starting problems for the last couple of months

It started off with holding the start for about 3 seconds but now it almost is impossible.(but will start)

So changed the battery and it was exactly the same 

Changed the spark plug but still the same

Took it to Yamaha which are about 30k away and they say they would need a couple of days at least and to leave it with them and thought i would ask on here

I was thinking a new brush set would fix it or starter motor.
Its cheap to replace these and less hassle than having her without a bike ,

9ba27838dbf625ee35cb5fb5416470a1.jpg

c2488c181ef82afd9c2469dc3ae6f1c1.jpg

If the cost ( about 1100B for a Honda one on Lazada) or availability is not a problem then replace the whole motor. You have to take it off to replace the brushes ( about 390B for Honda ones) anyway. If you are the handy type and like fiddly work then Just the brushes, clean the comm. and a few drops of oil. Then use the spare 700B to buy a case of beer.

I think I would do the starter relay first. About 360B (Lazada), easier and see if the starter motor really needs removing. Then do the brushes.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

If the cost ( about 1100B for a Honda one on Lazada) or availability is not a problem then replace the whole motor. You have to take it off to replace the brushes ( about 390B for Honda ones) anyway. If you are the handy type and like fiddly work then Just the brushes, clean the comm. and a few drops of oil. Then use the spare 700B to buy a case of beer.

I think I would do the starter relay first. About 360B (Lazada), easier and see if the starter motor really needs removing. Then do the brushes.

Thanks yes don't mind fiddly work but that is good advice to change the starter relay.
Don't plan on selling it so good to replace parts even if they were not yet broken when they are getting older they will need to be replaced in the end
That might be it .
Thanks

We went through a similar sounding scenario last month (Yamaha Fino) turned over but wouldn't start; local shop replaced battery; next time spark plug.

Then wouldn't start while we were in the city, found a nearby repair place open on Sunday afternoon - faulty fuel pump, not repairable, replaced with genuine Yamaha rather than a cheaper copy.

Got a loan bike to get home, picked up repaired next day and ok since.

Bike has done 92,000km that's the most expensive repair we've ever had, 2500 baht.

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

My Mio has had 2 starter relays in 10 years.

Symptoms: The starter does not spin only a clicking from the relay. Pressing the start button several times would sometimes make it start.

Please remember that a lot of the Yamaha stuff on Lazada and Shoppe is fake.

• Like 1

does it sound slow on turning over? Just fit a mew starter forget the repair, low battery when trying to start a lot, will fork the starter and visa versa. What happens IMO the power trying to start it reduces the power to the plug, (headlight on an all) if it starts with a kick then I'd say the fuel system is ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwak250 said:

My starter is spinning as normal but see if the relay helps and go from there.

yes Lazada/Shoppe are mainly all fake 

If the starter is spinning as normal when you press the start button, the relay is not the problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bought a starter motor and relay but thought it would be the starter motor which it was 
Starts straight away now BUT

Put it half back together but must have disturbed something as its reving its tits off

Give it a bit of throttle and it dies back down but it is loud now like something has been moved like the air box so will have to check it tomorrow as 10pm and getting eaten alive by mossies

Edited by kwak250
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Bought a starter motor and relay but thought it would be the starter motor which it was 
Starts straight away now BUT

Put it half back together but must have disturbed something as its reving its tits off

Give it a bit of throttle and it dies back down but it is loud now like something has been moved like the air box so will have to check it tomorrow as 10pm and getting eaten alive by mossies

You just reminded me of when I was repairing a crane in WA OZ, my boss rang me 4pm and asked how it was going , I said well at least the bloody flies have gone, he said the Mozzies will come soon. :cheesy:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

You just reminded me of when I was repairing a crane in WA OZ, my boss rang me 4pm and asked how it was going , I said well at least the bloody flies have gone, he said the Mozzies will come soon. :cheesy:

I spent a while in Perth but never really thought the muzzles were as bad as in Thailand.

Saying that my alcohol intake was much higher then so probably didn't notice them.

Lovely places all around WA 

• Thumbs Up 1

There will be a cable nr the stand make sure it is connected and clean. Most problems on start up either lecky or petrol stand's need to up to join a circuit when there down the circuit is off that's why the bike is dead. Put the stand up away you go. So first is check the cable nr the stand. Is there a burning smell from the starter motor? lecky components? Main earth cable to frame? check the inline fuse from Battery.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

I spent a while in Perth but never really thought the muzzles were as bad as in Thailand.

Saying that my alcohol intake was much higher then so probably didn't notice them.

Lovely places all around WA 

That repair was in some remote mining dump hole a 2-3 hr. drive Nth of another hole Kalgoorlie, But I was based in Midland. Perth. The red Eye to Kalgoorlie, then drive, ✈ ????

Dead black cows stinking in the road most of the way, Yuk. not so lovely :giggle: Imagine having to drive a truck mounted crane all that way, glad that wasn't me. 

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

That repair was in some remote mining dump hole a 2-3 hr. drive Nth of another hole Kalgoorlie, But I was based in Midland. Perth. The red Eye to Kalgoorlie, then drive, ✈ ????

Dead black cows stinking in the road most of the way, Yuk. not so lovely :giggle: Imagine having to drive a truck mounted crane all that way, glad that wasn't me. 

That would have been a nightmare

I drove a Ford Falcon from Ayers rock to Kalgoorlie took about 3 days with so many flats.

Through the Gibson desert.

Woke up with someone trying to stick a rag in my fuel tank.

No air con covered in red dust .

Local newspaper reporter at Kalgoorlie took some pictures of me and the falcon saying lots of people go missing trying that.

Probably better roads there now his was 1997

Edited by kwak250
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

I drove a Ford Falcon from Ayers rock to Kalgoorlie took about 3 days with so many flats.

Local newspaper reporter at Kalgoorlie took some pictures of me and the falcon saying lots of people go missing trying that.

Whats this got to do with an Hybrid Scooter?

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

I think we have unwittily gone of topic who cares? Some drive that one. I had a bright red Falcon in Sydney at that time, first time in OZ. seats were big enough to sleep comfortably.

A lot of red dust is iron ore, I found out in later years, one of the Chinese cranes at a mine site had a cage for lowering workers or lifting them up. The operator was sitting up in the crane cab, one morning A/C on reading his newspaper, cage on the floor, it suddenly shot up and smashing the jib, then slewed a full right, the dust had got into the 'computer' solenoids, under his seat, huge non sealed hole where the cable harness came through, my job was to seal it, yoga mat cut to fit, from local camping shop and silicone it inside and out, luckily I was very slim I had to wiggle my way under the upper cab and floor to fix it. Another dump Karratha.

Chinese Sub anyone :giggle: 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Don't matter now, the bike is fixed :giggle:

I meant to add thanks for letting us know you fixed it, and how,  many people come here and ask for advice about what ever but never bother to come back and let us know what fixed their problem.

Coming; soon driving stories through Australia by kwaka n brian  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: and others    I saw a hitch hiker at 3 Ways with a sign 'ANYWHERE':cheesy::cheesy:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I meant to add thanks for letting us know you fixed it, and how,  many people come here and ask for advice about what ever but never bother to come back and let us know what fixed their problem.

Coming; soon driving stories through Australia by kwaka n brian  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: and others    I saw a hitch hiker at 3 Ways with a sign 'ANYWHERE':cheesy::cheesy:

You might have to open another thread for that one ! 

Send me the link when you do

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2023 at 7:19 PM, kwak250 said:

Sell it as is. 

Advertise it and when they come for inspection say you think it needs a new battery, give a kick to start and let them test ride. Now it's the new owners problem. 

Buy a Honda Scoopy or Click, you can't go wrong.

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Sell it as is. 

Advertise it and when they come for inspection say you think it needs a new battery, give a kick to start and let them test ride. Now it's the new owners problem. 

Buy a Honda Scoopy or Click, you can't go wrong.

All sorted it was the starter motor easy fix

Yes had a scoopy and the wife sold that to buy the Filano 
Saying that 7 years isnt bad as she is dashing around every 5 minutes. 

they get back in and 2 minutes later off to get something they could have already bought