Yamaha Grand Filano electric starting problem

kwak250

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Good news. ????

Do you fit the new starter, was it a big job, how much did it cost? 

Hi yes i fitted it, not bad to do just removed the panels just a bit fiddly.

Wife didn't want to be without it for a few days which was what Yamaha said it would take to check as it still started after about 10 seconds holding the starter 

If me i would of let Yamaha do it but got a Lazada Special 500 baht which they say is 100% Genuine (i say 100% BS)

Yamaha starters are 1100 baht 
See how long this lasts but after having lots of honda's i would get another Honda next just my wife fancied a change but done 70k+ so not been bad

21 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Hi yes i fitted it, not bad to do just removed the panels just a bit fiddly.

Wife didn't want to be without it for a few days which was what Yamaha said it would take to check as it still started after about 10 seconds holding the starter 

If me i would of let Yamaha do it but got a Lazada Special 500 baht which they say is 100% Genuine (i say 100% BS)

Yamaha starters are 1100 baht 
See how long this lasts but after having lots of honda's i would get another Honda next just my wife fancied a change but done 70k+ so not been bad

Appreciate your detailed reply. 

I reckon you should tell the Mrs to not engage idle stop (if it has it), let the bike idle at traffic lights etc, this will give your starter motor a longer life. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Appreciate your detailed reply. 

I reckon you should tell the Mrs to not engage idle stop (if it has it), let the bike idle at traffic lights etc, this will give your starter motor a longer life. 

This was pre-idle stop but good point
She is happy now, 

Still be interesting to see if the bike lasts another 7 years 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I'm back!

Refer earlier post re the Fino cutting out.

Been to three shops (and one twice) for spark plug, battery, fuel pump and was fine for a while

Then an unexpected stop two weekends ago opposite a shop set up by a mechanic ex-Yamaha, he couldn't find the fault as it started ok when he got to look at it, 100 baht thanks. 

Again this morning - I have isolated 'when' it happens, always when backing off the throttle eg today stopping for traffic lights. I was near my destination, Thai Watsadu so left the bike roadside, returned 40 min later and it started. The previous two stops were also slowing/off throttle at lights/intersections. 30 minutes is average for it to start again as if nothing was wrong.

Is there a clue somewhere in this? Intention is for daughter to use for university but not with this current ailment.

Thanks

The accused (or is it 'alleged offender?)

spacer.png