"Real" FBAR filing deadline October 15 for 2022 calendar year

Americans, just in case you don't know about FBAR (foreign financial accounts) filing requirements, the real deadline is soon approaching.

If this is news to you, you need to determine if you're required to file an FBAR for calendar year 2022, and if you are, you need to soon file.

Penalties for non-filing can be massive.

Note that the deadline was April 15 but everyone gets an automatic extension to October 15 without the need to file for an extension (unlike IRS extensions to October 15).

Thus the filing is not LATE until after October 15.

How to file?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Because if you haven't filled yet the deadline is October 15.

Duh.

I know, I know.

I got the same response back in Texasland, when I questioned why someone would choose to stand in line at the post office at 11:59 PM on April 15th to get that essential postmark on their tax return.

"Duh!"

17 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

I know, I know.

I got the same response back in Texasland, when I questioned why someone would choose to stand in line at the post office at 11:59 PM on April 15th to get that essential postmark on their tax return.

"Duh!"

No need to stand in line to file FBAR online.

You sound as if you think makes a person a superior human specimen to file FBAR early and that it's a sign of moral rot to file it in October.

To the treasury department it makes no difference at all when you file aa long as it's before the deadline which is October 15.

Edited by Jingthing