You have less than 10 years?

27 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm happy in a way that this thread has made a lot of you think and take notice about life .

Can you quote any post that shows people have "thought and taken notice about life"? All I see is a bunch of posts on the topic from people who have clearly already spent the time thinking on the topic, and a bunch of posts pointing out what a shotty thing it is to say to people.

I of course haven't read the thread in depth so I'm happy to be proven wrong. Please feel free to validate your claim by quoting some posts where people are considering the topic for the first time because of something you've said.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I actually said this (jokingly )to another hospital cleaner I was working the night shift with  the other night but luckily he misunderstood, a 70's guy original from Yugoslavia,still working still slaving at his age for more money  ""hopefully you got your affairs in order "

He stopped mopping ,looked at me confused then 

he replied"yeah I mop stairway already "????

no idea what I was talking about ????

You seem to both believe that you're smarter than everybody else, and also take delight in that belief. Congratulations, you'll fit in here just fine if you ever actually make it.

I find it alarming that you work in a hospital. Do you make the same kind of comments to the patients?

Edited by JayClay
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

Can you quote any post that shows people have "thought and taken notice about life"? All I see is a bunch of posts on the topic from people who have clearly already spent the time thinking on the topic, and a bunch of posts pointing out what a shotty thing it is to say to people.

I of course haven't read the thread in depth so I'm happy to be proven wrong. Please feel free to validate your claim by quoting some posts where people are considering the topic for the first time because of something you've said.

And how do you propose to count the members who have read the post, started to think about it for the first time but not shared their thoughts with the forum!

I wouldn't count them. Why would I? 

It's just that you seem to be trying to measure the benefit of the OP's post and that you're trying to do so statistically based on positive and supportive posts in the thread alone. The OP said his objective was to make people think, not necessarily post and I think he's done that.

5 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

The OP said his objective was to make people think, not necessarily post and I think he's done that.

No. The OP said that he's glad that he has made people think. I see no evidence of that. If he just believes that he has made people think without seeing any evidence then he should state that it's his belief, rather than state it as fact

It helps to read a post and, if necessary, spend some time trying to understand it in context, before replying to it.

Edited by JayClay
  • Like 1

No. The OP said that he's glad that he has made people think. I see no evidence of that. If he just believes that he has made people think without seeing any evidence then he should state that it's his belief, rather than state it as fact

It helps to read a post and, if necessary, spend some time trying to understand it in context, before replying to it.

FWIW I'm certain the OP has made some people think, even though there is no immediate tangible evidence of that, a person would have to be either simple minded or naive to believe otherwise. But I totally agree with your last para, I also wish more people would do so.

4 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I don't know if he's a nice guy or not, I don't know him and haven't read much of what he's written. But I do think he raised a valid and interesting issue, even if others do not.

This is what he said, it's in the original posting, and it is what's all the people replying are talking about..........................And one thing I enjoy in my workplace which is a very large hospital is to tell older workmates usually in their 70's that they have less than 10 years left in probality. ......................He enjoys telling people in their 70's that they have less than 10 years left. It's a sad, shallow, hurtful thing to say to someone who has made it in life that far, and more often than not, still wants to live as long as possible, without having anyone say you'll be dead in 10 years or less. NO ONE wants to hear such a statement. NO ONE. People aren't that stupid. They know we all die, and most live only 85 years or so, with many going to 90+. It's a totally unnecessary thing to say, and I wonder what he gets in his mind from seeing the look on their faces when he tells them that. When someone says I'm old at 67, I don't want to hear it, because it's an ignorant thing to say. Do they not realize their times coming sooner than later? I'm not talking about teenagers or younger, because at least their young ignorance is an excuse.

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

I don't know if he's a nice guy or not, I don't know him and haven't read much of what he's written. But I do think he raised a valid and interesting issue, even if others do not.

I do think his a nasty person.

deep down.

To come on a Thai forum ( his in oz, i think ) spouting off about telling older people they are going to die.

it's not his , job to do that,  in that working environment.

And why go around maybe crushing some old lady or man.

many people are comfortable to work to they can't anymore.

Don't read to much into his thread.

His stepped right over the line,  of family and doctors.

His just mugging old people off as stupid, old people know the score, leave them alone.

Go look at some of his other threads, if you got long ears and loads of time to kill.  :jap:

• Like 1

Just now, quake said:

I do think his a nasty person.

deep down.

To come on a Thai forum ( his in oz, i think ) spouting off about telling older people they are going to die.

it's not his , job to do that,  in that working environment.

And why go around maybe crushing some old lady or man.

many people are comfortable to work to they can't anymore.

Don't read to much into his thread.

His stepped right over the line,  of family and doctors.

His just mugging old people off as stupid, old people know the score, leave them alone.

Go look at some of his other threads, if you got long ears and loads of time to kill.  :jap:

As I said at the beginning of the thread, it appears several posters have a history here, I don't. I'm not going to go searching for and read his past material, I don't need to, I don't care if he's a nice person or not, why would I. All I care about is the question he raised. And I haven't passed comment on the interactions with older people that he talked about, as far as I'm concerned that's just an embellishment to get the question out there and attract interest and he's certainly done that.

12 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

As I said at the beginning of the thread, it appears several posters have a history here, I don't. I'm not going to go searching for and read his past material, I don't need to, I don't care if he's a nice person or not, why would I. All I care about is the question he raised. And I haven't passed comment on the interactions with older people that he talked about, as far as I'm concerned that's just an embellishment to get the question out there and attract interest and he's certainly done that.

So you called me shallow. ( nice one ) 

So now you say his lying ( that is what embellishment truly means)

Go tell him that. in your next post.

I look forward to his reply.

Dilemma time. 

lister.JPG

Edited by quake

On 10/10/2023 at 7:43 AM, Mike Lister said:

It's not unreasonable at all to consider ones own mortality, especially when you reach 70 or so. I'm surprised by some of the responses here, it sounds like the OP struck a nerve, well done for making people think.

Hmmm, fair sentiment but I doubt that the OPs motive was to make people think.

If he can't cope in a working life without producing this bu11sh!t, he ain't gonna stand a chance when he gets to retirement.

Fact is, none of us are going to get out of this adventure alive  -  so make the most of the journey, and whatever you have left.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, quake said:

So you called me shallow. ( nice one ) 

So now you say his lying ( that is what embellishment truly means)

Go tell him that. in your next post.

I look forward to his reply.

This is a forum, not a court of law. People in all walks of life in all forms of communications, use embellishment and literary license for effect all the time, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Just now, Mike Lister said:

This is a forum, not a court of law. People in all walks of life in all forms of communications, use embellishment and literary license for effect all the time, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

:cheesy:

So your going to bottle it.  ok i get it. :jap:

3 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I'm not going to provide entertainment for you, is what I'm not going to do. My words are out there for any/everyone to read, including the OP, who I seriously doubt disagrees with me.

Nah

Joined 5 days ago, 164 post.

I call that great entertainment.  thank you.

Please sir can I have some more. :giggle:

Just now, quake said:

Nah

Joined 5 days ago, 164 post.

I call that great entertainment.  thank you.

Please sir can I have some more. :giggle:

Yep, you're right. I joined specifically to find recommendations for a cancer surgeon in the North, having done that I got engaged in a discussions about the mechanics of taxation and somehow, don't ask me how or why, I ended up here as stocking filler whilst waiting for answer to the first part. But now, we are done....byee.

7 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Yep, you're right. I joined specifically to find recommendations for a cancer surgeon in the North, having done that I got engaged in a discussions about the mechanics of taxation and somehow, don't ask me how or why, I ended up here as stocking filler whilst waiting for answer to the first part. But now, we are done....byee.

oh, going to take your ball back home now.

How shallow of you.

What goes around,  comes around. :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes he used to get terrible angry and this was in the 1990's 

" you just want us ( him & mom) to go so you can get the house don't you !!!

He used to shout after I reminded him of his lifespan ????

Are you incapable of understanding the total rudeness of your question? Are your bulbs that dim? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

As this thread has served its purpose in *education " & awareness " I have written to the moderators to have it closed.

I feel more content knowing I have helped those who weren't in the planning stage of life exit 

We've been educated on what kind of character you are and also aware that you have no empathy. It has helped those that will be looking at your subsequent posts.

4 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

As this thread has served its purpose in *education " & awareness " I have written to the moderators to have it closed.

I feel more content knowing I have helped those who weren't in the planning stage of life exit 

Ok, you bored of this thread.

I have seen your latest one.

condos for rent.

Will be over for some more education from you soon. :stoner:

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

FWIW I'm certain the OP has made some people think, even though there is no immediate tangible evidence of that, a person would have to be either simple minded or naive to believe otherwise

A person would need to be naive to question a claim based soley on assumptions with zero evidence to back it up?

If that's your definition of naive then sure, I'm naive as they come ????‍♂️

Edited by JayClay

16 hours ago, bignok said:

So many anger responses to this topic.

Yeah, the anger is not at the topic, but at a guy who is walking around delighting in telling people that they will die soon. What he thinks is shock that the people never thought about their own mortality - - is simply shock that a person can be so rude... I think everyone knows already that they will die... the OP acts as if he just discovered this odd fact... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1