Israeli forces successfully rescue 30 people, including 14 Thais

webfact

14 Thais missing in Gaza found and rescued by Israeli forces

image.jpeg

Israeli army Merkava tanks are positioned near the border with Gaza in southern Israel on October 10, 2023. / AFP

Fourteen Thais, who were earlier reported missing following the Hamas attacks in Gaza last Saturday, have been located and rescued by Israeli defence forces.

According to The Times of Israel, the Israeli forces found the 14 Thai nationals and 16 Israelis near the Gaza border and all of them are now safe. No other details, including their identities, are available at this stage.

Israeli authorities believe that as many as 150 people have been kidnapped by Hamas militants since last Saturday.

18 Thai nationals are believed to have been killed.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-10-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Great  they were rescued but I thought they had been extracted from Gaza. That means Hamas still has all the hostages, if they haven't killed any of them.

No?  Did you read the article?  They were not rescued they were found.  They were not kidnapped they were stranded by their boss when the war broke out.

• Like 1

What troubles me is the guy said he couldn't get through to the Thai Embassy. Do they have an answerphone on or did they decide not to bother answering calls... 

'we can't come to the phone right now. I hope you're having a lovely time in Israel. Please get back in touch after the weekend.' Beep.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

What troubles me is the guy said he couldn't get through to the Thai Embassy. Do they have an answerphone on or did they decide not to bother answering calls... 

'we can't come to the phone right now. I hope you're having a lovely time in Israel. Please get back in touch after the weekend.' Beep.

Thai embassy in many countries are always on holiday and calls go direct to voice recordings. My

wife tried calling one in Seoul before and couldn’t reach anyone when she wanted to ask some questions. She had to resort to email and it took couple of days for them to reply also.

5 minutes ago, fallup88 said:

Thai embassy in many countries are always on holiday and calls go direct to voice recordings. My

wife tried calling one in Seoul before and couldn’t reach anyone when she wanted to ask some questions. She had to resort to email and it took couple of days for them to reply also.

Well, it was also the end of (Jewish) holiday season in Israel (at least partly accounting for the date of the attack). In my experience, quite common for diplomatic staff anywhere to have 'double vacations' - as in both the host country dates, as well as their home country's holidays. Weekends and such would have a skeleton crew at best, regardless.