chinese tour groups

stoner

24 minutes ago, stoner said:

was in pattaya last night and had my first ever experience seeing a chinese tour group in action. walking st was hilarious watching them shuffle through like it was a museum. none of the businesses even acknowledged them as they did their best impression of walking dead. this morning i watched them single file on the pier getting ready for their big boat trip day. 

welcome back to the great red hoard. 

Been like that for many years, except the years defined by their engineered virus. 

You should see how a hundred of them invade a Big C store like locusts, searching for food to export to the motherland... Strangely, though, they don't buy up baby formula anymore, as many decided that kids are too expensive.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, stoner said:

was in pattaya last night and had my first ever experience seeing a chinese tour group in action. walking st was hilarious watching them shuffle through like it was a museum. none of the businesses even acknowledged them as they did their best impression of walking dead. this morning i watched them single file on the pier getting ready for their big boat trip day. 

*horde

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Been like that for many years, except the years defined by their engineered virus. 

You should see how a hundred of them invade a Big C store like locusts, searching for food to export to the motherland... Strangely, though, they don't buy up baby formula anymore, as many decided that kids are too expensive.

i first came to thailand in 2003 stayed until 2009 and went home for 11 years. came back right before covid in july 2019 so i totally missed the entire explosion in tourism. 

was quite the experience for me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

i first came to thailand in 2003 stayed until 2009 and went home for 11 years. came back right before covid in july 2019 so i totally missed the entire explosion in tourism. 

was quite the experience for me. 

Yeah, it must have started 2010 or 2011, then getting worse till 2019.

11 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I remember them buying up baby forumla too. That was unusual. 

My building gets a ton of them air BNB-ing (Chiang Mai). Mostly couples.

They def love their weed. I see more and more weed stores with some Chinese lettering out front. Pai now has more Chinese signs too. They can fly direct to Chiang Mai, so a lot of them skip Bangkok.

There's an old famous Chinese comedy where 2 idiots chase each other for the valuable whatever in various Chiang Mai locals and it still motivates people to come.

If I look at a Google Map, 80% of the Chinese restaurant in CM are in Nimman. To me, Chinese is the heaviest, oiliest, most blah of Asian cuisines. I really only like the Manhattan kind.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I remember them buying up baby forumla too. That was unusual. 

Stems from one of their big local suppliers in 2008 using melamine in it which resulted in kidney damage, but the kids were really easy to wipe down????.

They used to clear the shelves in HK until a limit was imposed on how much any person can buy.  Illegal export was criminalised and the penalties were higher than for some dangerous drug offences.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Same here in Bangkok. Pulled up in a bus outside Terminal 21. Out comes the leader with flag. They all follow her around the mall. They buy nothing.

"They buy nothing".

You must have followed them around the entire mall to know that.  Says something about you, not them!

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"They buy nothing".

You must have followed them around the entire mall to know that.  Says something about you, not them!

I think many see a 'chinese person' and assume they are buying. But these are usually citizens of Hong Kong, Taiwan, sometimes chinese that reside in Singapore and South Korea. 

I'm talking about the Chinese people from actual China. Only a tiny fraction of them spend any decent money. This from talking to local business people. 

The Chinese agents also block book massive volumes of hotels for their tour groups at a fraction of the price they should be at. 

The fact that the tour groups, Chinese owned Hotels, Chinese owned restaurants, Chinese ran tour groups, are back is just beyond belief - all the money is going back to China. Why not put an end to that ?

You let 10 million upwards in, and the pressure on the local communities, resources is just too much. 

Furthermore, they are untouchable. They could literally take a dump outside a palace and nothing will be done to them. The police take a very soft approach to them for fear of bad publicity. I watched the litter police around Nana fining tourists, but anyone who said they were from China were allowed to walk off scott free. 

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I watched the litter police around Nana fining tourists, but anyone who said they were from China were allowed to walk off scott free. 

'Course, you did and of course they were.  How long did your Nana litter survey take and how many were involved?  Lucky that you speak Chinese.

13 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I think many see a 'chinese person' and assume they are buying. But these are usually citizens of Hong Kong, Taiwan, sometimes chinese that reside in Singapore and South Korea. 

How could you possibly know that, do you approach them and ask them their nationality?

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense.  Literally.

You had a chinese tourist threatening to bash police men in an airport a few weeks ago in a viral video. The police did nothing and he was allowed on his way eventually. 

Had that been a white guy or black guy, he'd had his face smashed up  !

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How could you possibly know that, do you approach them and ask them their nationality?

There are differences between Taiwan, Hong Kongers and those from China. You can pick up on it if you live here long enough. It's akin to saying how do you know someone is from Liverpool or London (accents, etc).  

13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I did not.

Yes, you did. 

Edited by DonniePeverley

11 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:
On 10/13/2023 at 11:33 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

There are differences between Taiwan, Hong Kongers and those from China. You can pick up on it if you live here long enough.

So you guessed, i.e. you made it up.

On 10/11/2023 at 4:42 PM, stoner said:

Next assignment - Shrimp buffet

8 minutes ago, stoner said:

because he is holding he flag. 

Yeah he's holding a flag. 

But can't the operate a watch ? They go into a mall. Why the hell do you need to follow flag man? You have 30 minutes part of an organised tour - even little kids can roam themselves, and get back to the bus after 30 minutes. 

They then appear to have organised poo and piss breaks too - and this is half the reason why the tour goes to a mall, for the toilet break. I mean literally can they not walk away from flag man and take a dump ?

Edited by DonniePeverley