Cancelling work permit/extension of stay - Okay to leave day after?

Okay so I have to cancel and work permit next week, My extension of stay is currently valid until 31st Of October

Am I allowed to fly out of the thailand the next day - or will this count as 1 day overstay?

The flight out of thailand is at 12 Pm and would be impossible to go to the labor office and get the flight on the same day

I also don't want an overstay stamp in my passport...

What you should agree with your employer is that the official end of your employment in the termination letter be a few days after you finish working for them. With such a termination letter, Immigration will modify your existing permission to stay accordingly. You can leave the work permit with your employer, and just ensure the extension of stay based on working is properly terminated.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hydraides said:

Okay so I have to cancel and work permit next week, My extension of stay is currently valid until 31st Of October

Your extension of stay becomes invalid the day you cancel your work permit.

If you are flying on the 1st November and your work permit is cancelled next week, you could find yourself with a nasty overstay fine down the line.

If you are flying the day after your work permit is cancelled, you should ensure that your permission to stay is cancelled also, or you may face a nasty overstay fine down the line.

One days overstay at the airport, the fine will be waived, but you will still get the overstay stamp.

• Confused 1

My School is responsible/ The Co ordinator will for sure cancel work permit /extension of stay.

But Its fine if they do this right by themselves?

I don't have to be there with them to go to the labor office/immigration?

If this is true....I can fly out of thailand and my co ordinator can cancel everything the next day

2 hours ago, NicoBKK said:

you need to leave by midnight of the day the WP is returned, but can extend 7 weeks directly while at Immigration to prepare your flight

I assume you meant seven days. Technically, you do not get a seven day extension. You are denied an extension, and given seven days to leave the country. Although it becomes imperative to follow that order, this does give you a few days grace. If you ensure your termination letter from your employer is post dated, you can avoid the need for this.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

42 minutes ago, hydraides said:

My School is responsible/ The Co ordinator will for sure cancel work permit /extension of stay.

If this is true....I can fly out of thailand and my co ordinator can cancel everything the next day

correction: your school is NOT responsible for cancel your work permit. It is your duty. Some schools or other work place do that just for boing nice. So you can kindly ask them to do that for you. If they dont do that it will make some problems with your next work. 

cancelling work permit at labor office is a 10min thing.

normally your last day in thailand is the date written on the termination letter. im not sure if its still possible to ask IO to get 7 days and pay 1900 for that or not. If not you aill have 24 hours to leave the country. 24+1 is 500 baht per day.

Edited by problemfarang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

normally your last day in thailand is the date written on the termination letter. im not sure if its still possible to ask IO to get 7 days and pay 1900 for that or not. If not you aill have 24 hours to leave the country. 24+1 is 500 baht per day.

If you do not have a post dated termination letter, and are cancelling your permission to stay on the actual termination date, then the situation is the same as ever. You can apply for an extension, which is denied, and be ordered out of Thailand within the next seven days.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, hydraides said:

How will they cancel your extension of stay without your passport?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, accel said:

Labor and immigration do not communicate.  If you simply do nothing and exit 31st October no one will know.

Oh really then how come ive heard stories of people who had extension of stay, but they left a school early......

and when they tried to leave thailand at the end of their extension of stay, they had major problems with immigration/overstay fines?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 11:20 AM, hydraides said:

Oh really then how come ive heard stories of people who had extension of stay, but they left a school early......

and when they tried to leave thailand at the end of their extension of stay, they had major problems with immigration/overstay fines?

Everyone hears these stories, as far as I can tell they come from the school administrations threatening and lying

58 minutes ago, timendres said:

My work permit, and the extension based upon it, were recently canceled.

The cancelation provided me 20 days to exit the Kingdom.

A post-dated termination is, indeed, the best way of dealing with this.

• Love It 1

Here is an update

I stayed in Penang two days

Then Came back by Land at Sadao Border

No questions asked by immigration even if I had finished previous job (I booked a flight out 1 month from now -which also wasn't ask for as evidence)

30 day stamp given with no problems or questions

Edited by hydraides

On 10/13/2023 at 11:20 AM, hydraides said:

How would Immigration at the airport know? They'd need to check the work permit, which, however, has to be returned to the Labour Department.

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

How would Immigration at the airport know? They'd need to check the work permit, which, however, has to be returned to the Labour Department.

So Are you saying an I could get an extension of stay (Lets say 9 months from once it is given)

Quit Job the next day

then live visa free in thailand with no worries?

14 minutes ago, hydraides said:

So Are you saying an I could get an extension of stay (Lets say 9 months from once it is given)

Quit Job the next day

then live visa free in thailand with no worries?

Technically, yes, your extension expires with the end of your work permit. "Living 'visa free' with no worries" would depend on your future plans, e.g. whether you want to apply for a work permit, or any visa extension in the future. If it were my 'last visa extension' in Thailand, I wouldn't worry. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it...

On 10/21/2023 at 1:29 PM, timendres said:

My work permit, and the extension based upon it, were recently canceled.

The cancelation provided me 20 days to exit the Kingdom.

Exactly. Several years ago, working for a BOI company, I had a termination letter that gave me 9 days to leave but I left the cancelation until the second last day.

I mistakenly assumed that I had to be out on that day and it was early afternoon by the time all processes were completed. I had already booked a hotel in Phnom Penh and was preparing to do the drive to the border followed by grabbing a taxi on the other side (Poipet). I managed to arrive in Phnom Penh around 1145pm that night, after departing the Chamchuri office around 130pm. This was during the anti government protests. I had all my belongings in the car ready to go so got straight in the car with my passport and canceled stamp for my 1 week trip to Cambodia, after which I would return back to Thailand visa exempt.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a stamp stating I had until the next day to leave. So i could have easily avoided the stress by leaving early morning the next day instead.

Only the ones who don't have a post dated termination letter OR come in on the last day and don't get a 7 day denied extension extension of stay, actually have to depart the very same day, which can be a problem if you haven't got a flight out that evening or you're hours away from a border crossing or the only one nearby closes for the day before you can manage to get there and it's already 4pm.

If you're in Bangkok, there are 4 international border crossings (all with Cambodia) that close at 10pm and can be reached within a 5 hour drive (Aranyaprathet, Ban Laem and Ban Pakkard are 3-4 hours away, while Hat Lek is closer to 5 hours). Otherwise, there are evening flights to Vientiane, Phnom Penh, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, among others.

• Thanks 1