Move to boost tourism sector with worrying signals near the start of the country’s high season

webfact

4 hours ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

Take my word for it. The tourist sector is gonna be wiped out once more very soon. Thailand has become too expensive for what it has to offer and to restrictive as well.

Vietnam is offering the exact same kind of experience and is more competitive on prices as well as more welcoming (45 days exemptions and 3 month tourism visas - both can be renew over and over again).

Utter nonsense. Vietnam doesn't have the infrustructure, hotels, or know how (YET) to capitalise on tourism. 

Thailand has the infrustructure, the population know how to cater for tourists and their needs - the problem is it is attracting (and seemingly wanting) low quality tourists. Wiping away visas for Chinese simply just accelerates that problem - it's simply an insane paniced decision. 

All you do now, is stop high class tourists coming, because those sorts of people don't want to holiday with thousands of other tourists on the beach. 

If you want high class tourists you provide a professional service, stop the rip off touts, keep it classy. Look at the state of Phuket at the moment, it's horrific. It's being turned into a cheap Benidorm. 

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Utter nonsense. Vietnam doesn't have the infrustructure, hotels, or know how (YET) to capitalise on tourism. 

Thailand has the infrustructure, the population know how to cater for tourists and their needs - the problem is it is attracting (and seemingly wanting) low quality tourists. Wiping away visas for Chinese simply just accelerates that problem - it's simply an insane paniced decision. 

All you do now, is stop high class tourists coming, because those sorts of people don't want to holiday with thousands of other tourists on the beach. 

If you want high class tourists you provide a professional service, stop the rip off touts, keep it classy. Look at the state of Phuket at the moment, it's horrific. It's being turned into a cheap Benidorm. 

Also utter nonsense/drivel.

How can you compare Phuket to Benidorm? Infrastructure in Spain vs Thailand. 

15 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Aim for European, American tourists. There is absolutely nothing done to attract them. 

European and American tourists want to stay too long. Thailand likes tourists who come for one week, then leave again quickly...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Just a wild idea: instead of having to constantly scheme re: ways to attract tourists, why not take steps to become less dependent on tourism?

Probably too much work involved…

Edited by fusion58
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

European and American tourists want to stay too long. Thailand likes tourists who come for one week, then leave again quickly...

Nonsense. 

You are hanging around too many retirees. The vast majority of tourists are here for maximum two weeks. 

The problem is the distance from Europe and America - hence you need to attract them with incentives. 

It seems all incentives at the moment are for Chinese only. 

• Love It 1

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm always puzzled by assertions that the price of booze puts people off visiting LOS.

Are all potential visitors to LOS alcoholics?

It doesn’t necessarily but is one of many examples where potential returnees that like a tipple might think twice, not to mention the silly shopping purchasing hours. Frequenting a normal to classier establishment, anywhere really but Bkk especially (read: non-girlie bar shoeboxes with wife-beater-wearing mongers ????) will set one back handsomely, more expensive than London. Alcohol is ridiculously taxed/overpriced here—look at the price of a bar beer to the average wage or a semi-decent restaurant wine—while Vietnam pricing is about where they should be. It’s never stopped me coming (I’m not an alcy), but along with crapola Thai beer and other factors, may figure into others’ plans. 

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They have been going to Hawaii, Mexico and Europe.  Thailand still has a reputation as kind of cheap 3rd worldish.  Backpackers and sex seekers paradise.

TBH Mexico does not paint a nice image for me these days.... (and I would be particular as to which European destinations). Sad wrt Mexico, loved it a few decades ago. 

9 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You are 100 percent true.  

What most on this forum talk about is the beer belly sit around in the sun kind of "tourist" which isn't really a tourist at all.  They are long term travellers.  

Tourists stay a week or two, go all out, and leave.  Those are by far the highest percentage of travellers in Thailand and the ones that rightfully attract the most interest.  

Sure there are exceptions but it is NOT the norm.  

As I wrote at the ending of the pandemic there would be a blip up and then it would drop.  The world has seen this happen with the exception of Europe this year.  Next year may be their turn.  

Thailand will have trouble attracting tourists this year.  The question is do they really care?  

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2023 at 10:45 AM, ChipButty said:

I am in the south of Phuket and accommodation wise it seems pretty busy, I have an apartment and judging by the amount of cars and bikes parked up it looks full, I know a couple of people who work in hotels I'll ask them if they are busy 

Up in CM hotels are empty, but the backpacker dorms seem to be doing well.

Most of the long term expats seem to have gone though, no idea why.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thai authorities are so introspective, and have little understanding as to how the rest of the world works. Opening Bars to 0400 in the morning is only going to attract a miniscule number of tourists. However, trying to stay for the European winter presents all sorts of problems, which is just ridiculous beauocracy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

You are hanging around too many retirees. The vast majority of tourists are here for maximum two weeks. 

After the pandemic I travelled for almost six months through Australia and New Zealand (about 3 months each). I met many tourists who travelled there for even longer. That tourists should travel to another country for only 2 weeks is a TAT idea. Or why would countries in SEA Asia offer 45- or 90-day visa-free entries? Personally, if I had the choice between only 2 weeks in Thailand, or two weeks in Spain, or Greece, I wouldn't bother travelling all the way to Thailand.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

On 10/14/2023 at 6:21 PM, Bunny Silverhand said:

Take my word for it. The tourist sector is gonna be wiped out once more very soon. Thailand has become too expensive for what it has to offer and to restrictive as well.

Vietnam is offering the exact same kind of experience and is more competitive on prices as well as more welcoming (45 days exemptions and 3 month tourism visas - both can be renew over and over again).

Nonsense. Thailand is cheap. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Blumpie said:

You are 100 percent true.  

What most on this forum talk about is the beer belly sit around in the sun kind of "tourist" which isn't really a tourist at all.  They are long term travellers.  

Tourists stay a week or two, go all out, and leave.  Those are by far the highest percentage of travellers in Thailand and the ones that rightfully attract the most interest.  

Sure there are exceptions but it is NOT the norm.  

As I wrote at the ending of the pandemic there would be a blip up and then it would drop.  The world has seen this happen with the exception of Europe this year.  Next year may be their turn.  

Thailand will have trouble attracting tourists this year.  The question is do they really care?  

Samui, Krabi, Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya are full of tourists

Ao Nang was crazy busy in March

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Samui, Krabi, Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya are full of tourists

Ao Nang was crazy busy in March

Visited Ao Nang 7 times this year already...returned to Pattaya last Thursday....never seen it "crazy busy" for quite a number of years :whistling:

Last weekend paid 720 baht/night incl. breakfast at a well known and relatively new 4* Hotel + tax....next month they are asking 2,100 baht absolutely crazy.

Edited by petermik

3 hours ago, Partenavia said:

Thai authorities are so introspective, and have little understanding as to how the rest of the world works. Opening Bars to 0400 in the morning is only going to attract a miniscule number of tourists. However, trying to stay for the European winter presents all sorts of problems, which is just ridiculous beauocracy. 

What is wrong with staying open till 4am? 

Most European countries adopt this and it has shown to work, because it allows drinkers to take their time, and they disperse out of bars, clubs and restaurants at different times. 

Having one cut off time, makes people rush drinking, and it's recipe for disaster when you let out so many drunk people at the same time. 

Then there's the obvious financial benefits to owners of establishments if they want to stay open till 4am. Let's face it most are doing it now anyways. 

Edited by DonniePeverley

As ever, it is all about perceptions.

Ask your average European tourist, with a passing interest in international affairs, what their impression of Thailand is: military coups, junta governments, elections ignored, corrupt police, hostile immigration bureaucracy, endless scams starting as you leave the airport ("sorry meter no working"), aggressive taxi/tuk tuk drivers, dodgy "accidental deaths" on "paradise islands" which are covered up or inadequately investigated; the list goes on and on.

Add all these negative perceptions in and they go somewhere else.

Make a real, sustained effort to put a stop to this and you may get real tourist growth, but it will take several years to put right the damage done by the imbecility of the last few years.

Just a hint - tourism (and other civilian) ministers in paramilitary dress uniforms - people from determinedly non militaristic societies (much of Europe for example) take one look, and think no!

Edited by herfiehandbag