Thailand Ruined

Celsius

7 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

Nobody is getting "triggered" .. forgive me but I think quite a few of us are poking fun at what you think is a big problem but is not. Perhaps Ive been insensitive but I'll tell you something in all seriousness. I know quite a few "older dudes" who came to SE Asia years ago their 20's because of the allure of women and cheap living and debauchery. They are now in their 40's and 50's, have not contributed anything to their home countries social programs for seniors (like social security in the USA for instance), have not invested for the future and are now facing poverty! They have put themselves in a trap. Unless you have some really creative way to make money online like being a talented programmer or very savy crypto trader go back to your home country. work for awhile in the mainstream, build up some savings and retirement nest egg and then come back here or some other retirement destination then. Don't get stuck in this terrible rut and possible alcoholic or psychiatric ruin I've witnessed first hand in guys who have started living here early in life and never left.. only to find themselves in old age and "ASS OUT". Up a creek without a paddle. SOL etc..

I don't get it. You basically confirmed everything I believe to be true.

11 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I don't get it. You basically confirmed everything I believe to be true.

YEP... you are doing the right thing. Go back home, work in the mainstream, save some money and then you'll be in a financial position and a bit older to make decisions from there. Thailand and SE Asia in general can be a bit of a trap. As I said, I know of two solid examples of guys in theie late 40's and 50's who are facing old age with nothing because they got trapped in the English Teacher in SE Asia situation and stayed in it for years. no savings, not contributing to home country social programs etc.. now they are facing poverty or going back to their home country and working in old age. Who wants that?

Edited by likerdup1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

They don't read happy. Try reading the thread on taxation, or just any post here ????.

It’s normal for people to consider their options. So far, nothing has happened. 
It’s just you extrapolating your ‘doom and gloom’ again. 

3 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

YEP... you are doing the right thing. Go back home, work in the mainstream, save some money and then you'll be in a financial position and a bit older to make decisions from there.

I am not going home because I need money at this moment in time. I have quite a bit of money saved and my wife has a very good job in Thailand including a house and a car and zero loans. I am leaving because of the points I outlined in my original post.

2 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I am not going home because I need money at this moment in time. I have quite a bit of money saved and my wife has a very good job in Thailand including a house and a car and zero loans. I am leaving because of the points I outlined in my original post.

I wish you all the best.  Thailand is certainly not for everyone.

27 minutes ago, Celsius said:

So you leaving because you think Immigration rules are now too strict and hard on young people? Meanwhile you are saying you have "quite a bit" of money? So, let me understand, you are all set financially and the only reason you are leaving is because Immigration is a bit more difficult to navigate? Elite Visa is an option for guys like you with "quite a bit of money"

Edited by likerdup1
  • Like 2

On 10/14/2023 at 10:06 AM, Celsius said:

So, what old people wanted old people got. Enjoy doing your tax returns while doing your 90 day reports, begging for visa extensions.

Finance dept does my tax returns.

HR dept do my 90 day reports.

HR dept do my extension and work permit renewals.

What's this begging you speak of ?

40 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Where are you going?

25 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

So you leaving because you think Immigration rules are now too strict and hard on young people? Meanwhile you are saying you have "quite a bit" of money? So, let me understand, you are all set financially and the only reason you are leaving is because Immigration is a bit more difficult to navigate? Elite Visa is an option for guys like you with "quite a bit of money"

I am not young anymore. I just turned 50. I am thinking about future and the problems Thailand will impose on me to be a "guest" in the country. One of my biggest concerns is the everscamming healthcare and I have the first hand account of Thai insurance being completely useless. I have almost 1 million (Canadian) bucks saved and me and wife are saving money every month. I just think Thailand is bad value for money, that is it.

And what benefits will the useless "Elite" visa give me? Still 90 day reports, still annual visa renewals, still reporting every time I stay in the hotel? Are you kidding me with this advice?

Edited by Celsius

1 hour ago, AnnaBanana said:

That old chestnut is so often true.

But I've often wondered how they got together in the first place.

Me too. 
Suppose I could also be labeled a fool.

i spent the best part of 25,000 baht last night on bar shenanigans.

but I’ve accrued that back already on interest alone. So no harm done really 

Edited by bob smith

23 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I am not young anymore. I just turned 50. I am thinking about future and the problems Thailand will impose on me to be a "guest" in the country. One of my biggest concerns is the everscamming healthcare and I have the first hand account of Thai insurance being completely useless. I have almost 1 million (Canadian) bucks saved and me and wife are saving money every month. I just think Thailand is bad value for money, that is it.

And what benefits will the useless "Elite" visa give me? Still 90 day reports, still annual visa renewals, still reporting every time I stay in the hotel? Are you kidding me with this advice?

Now 50, the visa is much (relative) easier,  Just PP, bank info & address needed.

If I had 1M ($730k USD) in savings, I might not be here also.

Agree, Elite visa is useless, expensive, and only good for those not married or 50 yrs old yet.

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Now 50, the visa is much (relative) easier,  Just PP, bank info & address needed.

Believe you me, I have been thinking about this a lot. I am basically leaving when it would be easiest to stay for me. My wife has to do landing in Canada by April. I know Canada is crap and boring, I am not going to glorify it like some glorify Thailand, but for older folks I think it is much better than staying in Thailand.

55 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I have almost 1 million (Canadian) bucks saved and me and wife are saving money every month.

Probably wise to move back and earn more money, that's not enough for one let alone two, in Thailand women sadly are over the hill over 35 so tough to earn decent money

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

£600k at age 50. Unless you suddenly increase your earnings  thats not an enviable position. And thats for two people.

I would never buy buy elite visa with such modest capital.

4 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

£600k at age 50. Unless you suddenly increase your earnings  thats not an enviable position. And thats for two people.

I would never buy buy elite visa with such modest capital.

Enviable! ????

On 10/14/2023 at 11:08 AM, bob smith said:

A fool and his money are easily parted…

That's OK long as I had a good time, what's worse are the old guys with money still holding on with iron fists. Now ring that bell

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

Believe you me, I have been thinking about this a lot. I am basically leaving when it would be easiest to stay for me. My wife has to do landing in Canada by April. I know Canada is crap and boring, I am not going to glorify it like some glorify Thailand, but for older folks I think it is much better than staying in Thailand.

She will.miss the social aspect

20 hours ago, noobexpat said:

I'm not so sure i'd be adding funny emoji's. You're the one behind the curve who needs to keep working until 60 or more. 

As i said, not enviable ????

I stopped working for others since my 20's. All my income is online based "working" 2 hours a day. I could do this until the day I die, so I don't care and it keeps me busy. In fact I prefer to not stop working 

Also, my wife works and makes her own very decent income, so my savings are not for 2 people as you anal yzed.

But I in fact agree. These savings are a bit risky for living in Thailand long term. 

20 hours ago, Celsius said:

I stopped working for others since my 20's. All my income is online based "working" 2 hours a day. I could do this until the day I die, so I don't care and it keeps me busy. In fact I prefer to not stop working 

Also, my wife works and makes her own very decent income, so my savings are not for 2 people as you anal yzed.

But I in fact agree. These savings are a bit risky for living in Thailand long term.

If your savings level is risky here, then i can't imagine moving to a higher cost country will help. Maybe you get free healthcare or something and you need some treatment?? 

I could support multiple lazy bargirls. Nice to have options. Three wives by 50 though - now thats some story for another day!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1