Protein drinks for weight loss

remobb

Hi, I am interested in buying a protein meal supplement for weight loss and was wondering if anyone has used them and what results did you have. Also would like to know the brand name. Many thanks in advance.

Have not, but can't imagine that making much difference in anything, unless using common sense weight loss habits/lifestyle along with it.

Burn more then you eat & exercise.  The simplest, most effective things never change.  Simply adding a bit of protein, and you'll simply be just as hungry as you were before.   

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, remobb said:

Hi, I am interested in buying a protein meal supplement for weight loss and was wondering if anyone has used them and what results did you have. Also would like to know the brand name. Many thanks in advance.

They dont really work. You still feel hungry. Good for nutrition though.

Cut out bad carbs. Eat meat and eggs no sauce no rice. Walk a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bignok said:

THE ABOVE ^^^  Carbs are the enemy and dropping all breads and basically all processed carbs  produces big weight drops.  Have a long term plan in place after initial big weight drop because 90% of people just put the weight back on in a year.  It is also nice the first week when most shed a kilo or two of water weight which reduced bloat.  Comes right back when you add the carbs back.

I cut back on carbs as I aged and it was an easy way to not to pack on the fat.

• 2 weeks later...

Reduce or eliminate carbs and sugars from your Diet. That's pretty much it. Sound easy, but almost everything has carbs or sugar. It pretty hard to do this in Thailand because they LOVE sugar. 

I usually eat (Steak/Pork/Chicken) some Broccoli/Lettuce/ and 3 or 4 Eggs. Sounds boring but if you eat like this for 1 or 2 months you will see drastic changes.

If you had to eat rice, you can refrigerate the rice within 1 hour of you cooking it. When you cook rice the complex carbs break down into simpler sugars. Refrigerating the rice allows the simpler sugars to revert back into more complex form transforming the structure of the rice. This process forms "resistant starch" which is a type of starch that isn't easily digested in the small intestine. Instead, it travels to the large intestine where it acts like dietary fiber.

However, there's a catch. If you reheat the rice after refrigerating it, some of the resistant starch will break down again, and the rice will become softer and more digestible, although not entirely to its original state. So try not to reheat it too much. You can also do this hack with Potatoes, Pasta, Wheat and so on. Again the key is not reheating it too much, and also not all starches will develop a lot of "resistant starch".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I nearly went down the protein drinks route but did a little research first and concluded that meat for protein is far more beneficial and much cheaper. Cut out the bacon and eggs with 4 slices of home made bread and substituted it for overnight oats with berries for breakfast. Skip lunch but might have an apple if feeling a little peckish. For dinner chicken breast marinated in coconut milk and curry spices. Cycle and weight training for exercise, lost 10kg in about 3 months, feeling healthier and less tired.

"Whey protein and lean meat are different sources of protein. Although whey protein may be more convenient in some ways, meat provides more nutrients, such as vitamins and minerals. Whey protein is normally used as a supplement to a balanced diet rather than an integral component of the diet. Consult a health care professional before you take whey protein supplements."

https://www.livestrong.com/article/553893-whey-protein-vs-lean-meat/

Agree with the above that protein drinks are supplemental. 

I drink one from 7/11 every other day after weight training. It prob helps me about 10% in soreness compared to if I don't do it. It's worth 40 baht to not have to clean the blender. 

Likewise, if I'm having a crap protein pad thai kind of day, I might have one in the evening. It's good to be aware of how much, what kind, and how slowly digestive the protein you eat is. It will shock you how long a cheeseburger takes to become usable protein.

My very unscientific personal experience is that the protein daily recco is too high to be practicably doable, at least for a 70 year old.  

I see recco's of drinking a shake before bedtime, so that you don't "waste" that sleeping time when you could be digesting still more protein. Let the body rest for a few hours, and then begin your protein force-feeding anew.

More protein should be accompanied by more water. And more fiber. There's only so much protein you can realistically squeeze through the butt channel and protein digestion is very stressful on the kidneys.

Drinks might work as a meal-postponer, but not as a meal replacement. You'll just get too hungry later on and devour a bag of cashew nuts.

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 1:12 PM, bignok said:

Don't know why someone laughed at your post, pretty much spot on, also I check everything for sugar content, also eat everything in an 8-hour window, I eat 10 noon, then again at 8pm most days, no snacks

When your insulin drops, the body uses fat for fuel, not glucose

OP watch this

19 hours ago, Seppius said:

When your insulin drops, the body uses fat for fuel, not glucose

That's the entire basis of the Keto lifestyle. We burn fat instead of sugar for energy. Our bodies run more efficiently on fat than they do carbohydrates. There is only one part of one organ that 'requires' carbs, and the body produces more than enough to fill that need by itself without needing outside sources.  Removing wheat products and sugar-producing carbs immediately reduces body inflammation, especially in the joints, so our whole body feels better. Removing them stops blood-sugar spikes and their resulting low energy feelings, as well as removing the cause of Prediabetes, a component of the metabolic syndrome and is characterized by elevated blood sugar levels that fall below the threshold to diagnose diabetes mellitus. It usually does not cause symptoms but people with prediabetes often have obesity, dyslipidemia with high triglycerides and/or low HDL cholesterol, and hypertension. You can stop it all so easily, just by cutting down on carbs and cutting out wheat products, starches, and sugars.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Thumbs Up 1