73 year old aerial snapshot of Bang Khen field sparks social media frenzy

snoop1130

Screenshot-2023-10-18-144224.jpg

An aerial photograph of Bang Khen field, taken 73 years ago, has caused a stir after it was shared on social media.

The image, taken in 1950, depicts a wide-open landscape, dominated by the towering spire of Wat Phra Si Maha That Woramahawihan in Bangkok.

Tiny buildings can be identified as the former district office of Bang Khen, established in 1941, which has now evolved into the present-day Bang Khen District Office. Phahonyothin Road, running adjacent to the temple, was merely a narrow path flanked by rain trees.

The photograph is a work of Dr Robert Larimore Pendleton. Wat Phra Si Mahathat is located in the Bang Khen field area, a battleground during the conflict between the self-proclaimed Committee to Save the Nation led by Phra Worawongse Thoe Phra Ong Chao Bovorn Dech and government soldiers of the People’s Party in October 1943, an event later known as the Bovorn Dech Rebellion.

By Samantha Rose

Caption: Photo: Sanook

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

What are the symptoms of 'social media frenzy'? I've often wondered. I wonder what about this photo triggered the frenzy.

My take... not a lot of history is taught here so folks are generally unaware of the rich political history. That's done for a reason, obviously.

And I think people are shocked at the difference between then and now, re: development.

There are a lot of vintage photos of Thailand on FB, often they show them in the "then and now" format side-by-side with dates.

https://www.google.com/maps/@13.8747722,100.5933033,1115m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu