Premchai Admired But Thaksin Condemned: Ex-MP

webfact

3 hours ago, connda said:

The rich all get breaks that the average commoner will never get.  It's a two-tiered system but that said, it tends to be global in nature.

What "breaks" did Premchai get apart from a multi-million baht fine and an increase in his sentence by the appeal court?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thaskin is still admired and supported by many in Thailand.

If I (and no doubt many others) had his wealth and connections I would rather be in a nice hospital bed than a Thai jail.

The man is in the latter stages of his life. If he was my Father or Grandfather I would want the best for him.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, not "speculation", just unadulterated garbage.

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Unless you can justify your assertion, it was completely "I'll founded" [sic], ill-founded, even.

All right, we get it, you've been in a Thai Prison so you know all there is to know about how the system works here. 

It is quite possible to hold and express opinions other than yours you know; oh for crying out loud, what is the point, you're only trying to pick a fight in an empty room!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

6 hours ago, craighj said:

<deleted>, Premchai cheated the system and should have been locked up for 15 years.  Thaksin just has more money!

if a poor rice farmer or warehouse got caught doing anything like those two did they would never see the outside again!

craighj

,..."Thaksin just has more money!",..??? Nah,.. at this level they all have enough money, Thaksin only has more political power and friends in the right places. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Only in a country ruled by people that have no idea how to administer the rule of law does a convict get praised for respecting the rule of law by simply serving a prison sentence handed down to him 😂

"Only in a country ruled by people that have no idea how to administer the rule of law..."

In this case the rule of law was administered, in fact his sentence was increased, and he served his sentence.

"...a convict get praised for respecting the rule of law by simply serving a prison sentence..."

He was not just "praised for serving his sentence", his circumstance was being praised as a comparison between his respect for the legal system as a high-profile, influential and very rich Thai and a suggestion that Thaskin, as another high-profile, influential and very rich Thai, has a complete lack of respect for that same system.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, that is a common misconception promulgated tediously and tiresomely by AN posters who do not know what they are talking about.  Unless you've got proven specifics, of course.

And you of course must have first hand experience of the Thai Prison/incarceration system to make such a definitive statement!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

42 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

No, not "speculation", just unadulterated garbage.

Unless you can justify your assertion, it was completely "I'll founded" [sic], ill-founded, even.

All right, we get it, you've been in a Thai Prison so you know all there is to know about how the system works here. 

It is quite possible to hold and express opinions other than yours you know

"...you've been in a Thai Prison so you know all there is to know..."

Based on what the actual circumstances are as opposed to your falsehoods, am I not allowed to correct that false information and assertions that you post here, then?

"It is quite possible to hold and express opinions other than yours..."

Yes, of course, it is but not when those speculative, uninformed opinions are suggested to be fact.  How can you have a rational opinion of something and then spout about it when you, clearly, have no personal knowledge of those circumstances?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

"Premchai Admired"? Not on your life, I want to see that pig die in prison, and he should have had all his money/assets confiscated and sent to the preservation of wild animals.

I think you're being a bit harsh.

Despicable man Premchai is, but at least he did his time

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And your observation, of course, is correct, I do have.

In that case please tell us what the crime/sentence and incarnation were like!

"In that case"?  What?   None of your business why I was there or for how long but I can tell you that everything I have posted here about Klong Prem is accurate as opposed to the usual urban myth-type speculation.   Incarnation is never going to be enjoyable but I didn't have any problems with other inmates, there was no raping, no beatings, no unpleasantness, no enforced work.  The accommodation was clean but sleeping on the floor on a very thin "mattress" was uncomfortable and I was able to get all the food I preferred either from the shop or by friends outside sending food in.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Wow a totally unbiased piece by a totally unbiased man who knows intimate details about what a large construction magnate did back in the 80s and 90s. Who on earth would publish such crap....oops. I here I was thinking it was a survey of a couple of thousand people giving thoughtful answers to thoughtful questions.

34 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

None of your business why I was there or for how long

Why is it not "(y)our business"?

You claim to have done the crime and the time!

If true please provide some "inside" information as very few people on this forum will ever have had any such experience and we would all love to be put "straight" regarding your so called experiences!

You seem to me to be a typical ex SAS/SEAL/PARA etc, just full of bar stool BS!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...you've been in a Thai Prison so you know all there is to know..."

Based on what the actual circumstances are as opposed to your falsehoods, am I not allowed to correct that false information and assertions that you post here, then?

"It is quite possible to hold and express opinions other than yours..."

Yes, of course, it is but not when those speculative, uninformed opinions are suggested to be fact.  How can you have a rational opinion of something and then spout about it when you, clearly, have no personal knowledge of those circumstances?

I made a speculative informed by  commonly shared and widespread suspicions, how can I put it that the Thai justice system does not operate to the same levels across society. I am hardly the only member here, or person in this country, expatriate or citizen, who holds that view.

You have set yourself up as the arbiter of which opinions, which views,  are right and wrong. You state that opinions cannot be expressed "not when those speculative, uninformed opinions are suggested to be fact.". They are opinions, not facts. Just as your points are opinions, not facts. You were not imprisoned with Premchai, you don't know how or where he was held.

As for "starting a fight in an empty room, well perhaps you are right in that the room is not empty, but you are, as you invariably do, looking to pick a fight.

• Thumbs Up 1

apart from the fact that my best mate works in a large cat sanctuary (in costa Rica) and the shares i bought in ITD are now worth bugger all...i think it's time for Prem to get back to work - he may well get along with Sretta as they are both in simlilar fields of business.A few donations to cat sancturies or land purchases to safeguard corridors for these majestic beasts will demonstrate that there is a heart somewhere buried deep within that rotund exterior

19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Only in a country ruled by people that have no idea how to administer the rule of law..."

In this case the rule of law was administered, in fact his sentence was increased, and he served his sentence.

The rule of law means laws are enforced consistently. One case does not prove the rule of law. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...a convict get praised for respecting the rule of law by simply serving a prison sentence..."

He was not just "praised for serving his sentence", his circumstance was being praised as a comparison between his respect for the legal system as a high-profile, influential and very rich Thai and a suggestion that Thaskin, as another high-profile, influential and very rich Thai, has a complete lack of respect for that same system.

Praising one for what another doesn't do (gets away with) just proves the entire rule of law system is broken. Thaksin is the problem, no doubt. The other guy just didn't have the right patronage or protection (which again proves the rule of law in Thailand is a joke).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Praising one for what another doesn't do (gets away with) just proves the entire rule of law system is broken. Thaksin is the problem, no doubt. The other guy just didn't have the right patronage or protection (which again proves the rule of law in Thailand is a joke).

What "protection" has it been proved that Thaksin received that was not available to others - medical treatment aside. that is available to all inmates who need it?   

• Confused 1

Can you give an example of the "inconsistency" that you see. then?

I will go one better, and suggest you read a book. Read "Thailand: History, politics and the rule of law" by James Wise. It's a very accessable book that will paint a very clear picture for you; far better than any single use case I lay at your feet. Otherwise, one can simply just pay attention and open their eyes to the well established reality that laws in Thailand are enforced inconsistently based on one's privilege, patronage and afforded protections (often "gifted" by said patrons or purchased directly through law enforcement protection rackets).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

What "protection" has it been proved that Thaksin received that was not available to others - medical treatment aside. that is available to all inmates who need it?   

You can't actually be suggesting that Thaksin was treated the same as anyone else. He sidestepped his sentence almost entirely! Based solely on his ability to prostrated himself before the powers that be, and be leveraging his political crones. He got what he got because of who he knows. Otherwise he would now be behind bars for a protracted period of time (as ordered by the judiciary).

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

He sidestepped his sentence almost entirely!

Yes, he was granted a reduction of his sentence by HM as were many other prisoners and is how being treated for medical issues that, so far, have not been shown to be faked, no matter how much everyone likes to assume that they have been.  I'm not saying that he isn't faking but no one here has any evidence either way...yet.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Can you give an example of the "inconsistency" that you see. then?

I will go one better, and suggest you read a book. Read "Thailand: History, politics and the rule of law" by James Wise. It's a very accessable book that will paint a very clear picture for you; far better than any single use case I lay at your feet.

I asked for your example, just one, of the inconsistency that you claimed, not James Wise's opinion.  But, as I thought you weren't able to do so.

• Confused 1

I asked for your example, just one, of the inconsistency that you claimed, not James Wise's opinion.  But, as I thought you weren't able to do so.

This is getting a bit tedious, but since you will only be convinced with a single example... here you go... one example of Thailand's failure to enforce the rule of law consistently...  the case of the Red Bull heir. Hitting and killing a police officer then fleeing the scene to later be apprehended but yet never prosecuted for his crime, and now living freely abroad. 

EXTRA CREDIT:  to further help you understand the real and many ways in which the rule of law is not consistently enforced in Thailand:

1. The widespread use of lopsided anti-subversion laws to silence dissent (again, I beg you, please read a book).

2. The use of arbitrary detention and torture by police (Ferrari Joe was the posted child for this type of activity; just one of many examples over the years)

3. The corruption of the judiciary (bribes, nepotism, political interference)

4. The impunity enjoyed by powerful elites (see Red Bull)

Now you can go do some.of your own research, and again I suggest you read a book (btw, a history book is not opinion, just so you know. It's a well researched effort by capable experts presented with references and citations).

It's possible you don't follow the news closely here in Thailand, or you are new to the country. I hope this information helps you in your journey to learn more about the rule of law in the LoS. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1