Legal employment and the Thai Healthcare Scheme.

I've been offered a contract that includes the Thai healthcare scheme which is deducted at 750thb per month.

I'm considering the position. One aspect I'm interested in is that once the contract is finished, I would be able to continue the Thai Healthcare Scheme once I notify them within a set number of days (around 1 month I believe) of the employment ending, and continue to pay around 400thb per month, which is payable at the 7-11 etc.

This is the way it was previously, is this still correct? 

Is there a minimum amount of time one needs to be employed and paying into the system before they can continue when the employment ends? For example, to be accepted for continuing the scheme after employment does one need to have worked for 1 year, 3 years, 1 month, there is no required timeframe, once you are registered when you start work you can continue after the employment ends?

TIA. 

Minimum to have worked under Section 33 (salaried employee) is 12 months (effectively 15 since the first 3 months are usually trial and not covered by SSO). You have 6 months after termination to apply for Section 39 (voluntary contributor). Monthly contribution thereafter is 432 baht.

Be mindful that SSO will want you to present a Thai ID number, that foreigners can get by applying for a Pink ID, which requires a Yellow Tabien Ban, which requires a number of supporting documents. If you do not already have a Pink ID, the process for getting that cascade of documents may take several months, hance the need to get it done ASAP and not exceed the 6 months deadline.

Edited by LogicThai
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LogicThai said:

Be mindful that SSO will want you to present a Thai ID number, that foreigners can get by applying for a Pink ID, which requires a Yellow Tabien Ban, which requires a number of supporting documents. If you do not already have a Pink ID, the process for getting that cascade of documents may take several months, hance the need to get it done ASAP and not exceed the 6 months deadline.

When you have SS, you already have a Thai ID number, it is on the card. No need for a Pink card at all.

12 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is online too now, so your number will be there. I used my number to make appointments for COVID vaccinations.

in order to login to their system online you need the 13 digits number.... 

the employer will be given a printout of new employee they put into the system, so if they don't tell you that you won't know what your 13 digit ID is

5 minutes ago, digbeth said:

in order to login to their system online you need the 13 digits number.... 

the employer will be given a printout of new employee they put into the system, so if they don't tell you that you won't know what your 13 digit ID is

If somebody has half a brain, they could ask for it. Much easier than go for a Pink ID.

Edited by FritsSikkink

36 minutes ago, digbeth said:

they no longer give out SS card

They restarted giving them out to foreign employees a year or two back. I received one out of the blue but none were given to the Thai staff. HR hadn't put in any special requests but said they were just sent them for all the foreigners. 

15 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If somebody has half a brain, they could ask for it. Much easier than go for a Pink ID.

Well, yes, but SSO will want a Pink ID. No other document is accepted. I went through the whole circus earlier this year. I had a SS card, with a number, but that was not acceptable. They insisted that I get a Pink ID, and once I had it, they used that number, which is different from the old one. On the web portal and the mobile app, both my Section 33 and Section 39 contributions are visible, but under the new (Pink ID) number.

1 hour ago, LogicThai said:

Well, yes, but SSO will want a Pink ID. No other document is accepted. I went through the whole circus earlier this year. I had a SS card, with a number, but that was not acceptable. They insisted that I get a Pink ID, and once I had it, they used that number, which is different from the old one. On the web portal and the mobile app, both my Section 33 and Section 39 contributions are visible, but under the new (Pink ID) number.

It is true that SSO want a Pink card ID. I was not able to change to Section 39 contribution due to not having pink card ID. 

16 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

It is true that SSO want a Pink card ID. I was not able to change to Section 39 contribution due to not having pink card ID. 

Should have called the Head SS office (and still should if the 6 month window hasn't closed). 

Many have continued under Section 39 without a pink ID card  Just passport. Problem is that some SSO offices do not know how to process this for foreigners .... or in general  (very rare for a Thai to take this option since they can be vovered under "30 baht: scheme for free). 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Should have called the Head SS office (and still should if the 6 month window hasn't closed). 

Many have continued under Section 39 without a pink ID card  Just passport. Problem is that some SSO offices do not know how to process this for foreigners .... or in general  (very rare for a Thai to take this option since they can be vovered under "30 baht: scheme for free). 

6 months window has passed so not possible for me to switch to section 39. I know many has done it in the past but I didn't see the recent reports of foreigners switching to section 39 without pink ID. 

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I did, and the Head Office said the same. Anyway, getting a Pink ID is a hassle, but it is a good piece of kit to have if living in Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaymatheson said:

Once you're registered for healthcare as a foreigner, are you covered for life or only to a certain age?

Thanks

I am the OP.

I believe that once you stop working (after a minimum of 1 year working) you have a small window of time to apply to continue the coverage, which should be for life as long as you pay the 400 baht every month. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/21/2023 at 2:48 PM, khunPer said:

There is good English explantions from Social Security, either online or via a printed folder, you can obtain the the Amphor district office...

image.jpeg.2a74d00543fd168f10a5dcadd25fc989.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f55b0a8498853e1ea72304d38d5a98aa.jpeg

Thanks.

My Thai ID card number starts with the numbers 6 5099.....

Does this mean that I can qualify for 'Voluntary insured person under section 40'? 

Going through the registration here https://www.sso.go.th/wpr/

Almost done.

But with three hurdles to go, they was the letters and numbers on the back on the ID card. 2 English letters then 10 numerals. My pink ID card only has 1 letter then 8 numbers, which is different to the Thai ID cards for Thai nationals.

Has anybody used their pink ID card that begins with the number 6 to register for this? 

13 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Thanks.

Does this mean that I can qualify for 'Voluntary insured person under section 40'? 

I'd say yes, assuming that you are under 60 of age.

Going through the registration here https://www.sso.go.th/wpr/

Almost done.

But with three hurdles to go, they was the letters and numbers on the back on the ID card. 2 English letters then 10 numerals. My pink ID card only has 1 letter then 8 numbers, which is different to the Thai ID cards for Thai nationals.

Has anybody used their pink ID card that begins with the number 6 to register for this? 

It may save you a lot of hassle to go to a SSO office and ask them to register you there. They definitely will need your Pink ID and whatever other documents they'd want to see (Tabien Ban, Bank Book, whatever).

Thanks.

It clearly states the Voluntary category is limited to Thai nationals.

(Not to be confused weith ocntinued insurance by someone after leaving employment)

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Thanks.

You need to have been working in Thailand and paid SS while working in accordance with the rules, to continue when retired.

My Thai ID-card also begins with 6, but as I've never had a work permit – and therefore never entered the SS-system – I'm not eligible.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

My Thai ID-card also begins with 6, but as I've never had a work permit – and therefore never entered the SS-system – I'm not eligible.

I have, but many years ago. 

4 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

I have, but many years ago. 

To my knowledge, you need to continue with the voluntary option immediately after stopping work.