Dual pricing coming?

GypsyT

55 minutes ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

Alternatively, don't come to Thailand anymore. I'm in Vietnam right now and it's pretty cool !

I  went in a bar in Vung Tau and they had 2 prices, locals and foreigners, guess what we had to pay.

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

Plenty of countries in the West and even globally, add a charge or tax to tourist room rates, its very common practise.

Actually it will be an Ethnic Tax.  Non-Thais get taxed based on ethnicity. It will be a tax on any non-Thai. No country in the West would get away with that.  There would be a public and government uproar heard around the world.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, connda said:

Actually it will be an Ethnic Tax.  Non-Thais get taxed based on ethnicity. It will be a tax on any non-Thai. No country in the West would get away with that.  There would be a public and government uproar heard around the world.

Please explain the difference between "Non-EU Citizens" and Non-Thai Citizens".

You are distorting the rhetoric in claiming all Thai nationals have the same ethnicity.

The European Union is going to introduce a €7 visitor visa fee in 2024. Non-EU citizens and travellers from outside the Schengen zone, including the British, will have to pay a €7 application to enter.

https://www.rossmartin.co.uk/sme-tax-news/7012-europe-introduces-tourist-tax

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Interesting there have been reports on here of folks booking hotels then when they try to pay, a higher rate is listed with added fees.  I wonder if this is what they are doing?

No this is just typical Agoda BS. They add "lol charges" just before people proceed with payment. So the initial price included taxes and then the real final price will also include some fat jokes like "cleaning/maintenance charges" etc...

Best way to compensate for this is to use grab and use a coupon from their offer page. You can get anything from 2 to 7% off depending on the money you're about to spend.

Also it helps to unlock a VIP status. That way you'll save a couple of bucks on your nights...

Edited by Bunny Silverhand

2 hours ago, connda said:

Nonsense, there are many such taxes in place, just not described the way you did.

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Nonsense, there are many such taxes in place, just not described the way you did.

where else does this? It's so clearly discriminatory, insulting and no way to treat a guest. Tourists get same prices in national parks in the US and certainly never heard of any dual pricing anywhere let alone hotels. If some EU country did this it would be blatantly against the spirit of their union. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Since it's an old article and we don't even have the same government now I think we can close this.

If anyone has any useful (updated) information please feel free to PM myself or any online mod and we will consider re-opening.

:mfr_closed1:

• Thanks 2