Have you ever dialed emergency services

georgegeorgia

I've never had the occasion to use any of the numbers.  I did, however, download the phone app titled "Police I lert u" which  on its face provides your GPS location, provides for notification for police or an ambulance, and for messaging.  I have no clue how well it But here's what it looks like when you open it (I've changed the GPS location as it shows my home location and don't really want to publish that here).....

PoliceIlertu.jpg.fdc56ff35de1dd6fa292bec7aea75db4.jpg

Edited by CMBob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

I am in Hua Hin, not Pattaya, but I will give you my experience.

I had to call for an ambulance (at about 10 am), 1669, about a month ago for a very sick Thai friend.

Call was answered within about 15 seconds; the first person I spoke with had some English, but not much; she then put on another person who spoke very good Englsih.  The second person was able to understand the medical problem and the directions to my residence.

The ambulance arrived about 15 minutes later.  The ambulance driver asked if I spoke Thai, no.  But the paramedic said she understood some English (she was being modest - her English was good).  Patient quickly and safely dispatched to Hua Hin Hospital.

Thanks for your report! Nice to hear positive experiences.

I tried to call tourist police, just to make sure the mechanism works. I have USA phone with international service, default is +1 country code, but I can enter +66 country code to ring Thai phone numbers okay. 1155 does not work as expected, neither does +66 1155. I tried the +66 2308-0333 and that didn't work either, while calling seemed to initiate there was never ring tone and eventually I got  "time out" message. I do have a Thai phone, and assume 1155 would work on that okay, but I don't usually carry it with me (mainly I need it for my bank app). Apparently I can't reach Tourist Police (or any other emergency #) from a USA phone?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ibjoe said:

I tried to call tourist police, just to make sure the mechanism works. I have USA phone with international service, default is +1 country code, but I can enter +66 country code to ring Thai phone numbers okay. 1155 does not work as expected, neither does +66 1155. I tried the +66 2308-0333 and that didn't work either, while calling seemed to initiate there was never ring tone and eventually I got  "time out" message. I do have a Thai phone, and assume 1155 would work on that okay, but I don't usually carry it with me (mainly I need it for my bank app). Apparently I can't reach Tourist Police (or any other emergency #) from a USA phone?

Good to know for yourself (and others) thanks! Need to carry a 'phone with a Thai SIM installed to make emergency calls! For financial security best not to receive OTP's on the same 'phone upon which your bank app is installed. Don't carry both 'phones with you! I install my Thai SIM in my back-up 'phone but stupidly always carry both 'phones. My U.K. bank OTP's can be received upon either 'phone because I use a virtual U.K. mobile number from a VOIP service. Two security loopholes that need addressing!  

17 hours ago, save the frogs said:

https://itsbetterinthailand.com/emergency-numbers-and-other-useful-contacts-in-thailand/#:~:text=Note%3A The emergency medical services,nearby%2C get them to call.

Emergency Numbers in Thailand

Police & emergencies – 191
This may be the most important number to remember. Thailand has reportedly made 191 the main call center for all emergencies. If the operator is unable to speak English, call 1155 (below).

Tourist Police – 1155 or (+66) 2308-0333
This hotline is available 24 hours a day and they will all speak English. This is an important phone number to remember – They will help you out with any concerns or questions you have and can redirect you to the correct number you may need.

Public Ambulance (Everywhere) – 1669
Dialing this number will connect you to a public ambulance service, which will dispatch a vehicle to your location. The average response time for urban areas is around 10 minutes, but may take up to 30 minutes in rural areas. English-speaking staff should be available to assist you.

Fire Department – 199
In case of an emergency such as a house fire, or forest fire, call 199 for the Fire Department to be dispatched to your location.

very important to know -thank you

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, save the frogs said:

https://itsbetterinthailand.com/emergency-numbers-and-other-useful-contacts-in-thailand/#:~:text=Note%3A The emergency medical services,nearby%2C get them to call.

Emergency Numbers in Thailand

Police & emergencies – 191
This may be the most important number to remember. Thailand has reportedly made 191 the main call center for all emergencies. If the operator is unable to speak English, call 1155 (below).

Tourist Police – 1155 or (+66) 2308-0333
This hotline is available 24 hours a day and they will all speak English. This is an important phone number to remember – They will help you out with any concerns or questions you have and can redirect you to the correct number you may need.

Public Ambulance (Everywhere) – 1669
Dialing this number will connect you to a public ambulance service, which will dispatch a vehicle to your location. The average response time for urban areas is around 10 minutes, but may take up to 30 minutes in rural areas. English-speaking staff should be available to assist you.

Fire Department – 199
In case of an emergency such as a house fire, or forest fire, call 199 for the Fire Department to be dispatched to your location.

I tried to call for an ambulance a few months ago – a young turist girl had fallen and hit her head hard and her foreign friends cried for an ambulance – in my area 1669 is an automated reply telling numbers to press for service in different languages. I pressed for English, but the operater seem not to understand the location.

Then I tried tourist police, whom could not help with an ambulance. 191 didn't work either. Ended up having a songthaew to drive her and her friends to a nearby hospital.

Now I store the local hospital's number for 24 hour emergency service instead in my phone, probably faster service.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Slight delay because he initially went to the wrong address - but eventually got her to hospital

Our local hospital/health service came around to most places and put in the GPS coordinates in their system, I wondered what they were doing one day, but Mrs B told me that's what they were doing. (she is also a health volunteer) 

42 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

These ambulance vans I see with sirens on racing around Pattaya are from where ,are they hospital based ?

If they have Rescue written on them then No. 

If EMS then Yes

Private hospitals normally have their name written on them, like BKH..................... TTBOMK