PM Srettha calls for innovative ASEAN-GCC partnership

snoop1130

saudi.jpg

Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin today called for innovative partnership between ASEAN and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) for a sustainable future.

Addressing the ASEAN-GCC summit in Riyadh, Srettha reaffirmed Thailand’s commitment to fostering relations with the GCC members, particularly in economic cooperation, climate action and people-to-people relations.

He also proposed more cooperation in trade and investment through Thai-GCC and ASEAN-GCC free trade arrangements.

Caption: Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin meets with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Riyadh.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-10-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

Just two months into his new job,  Mr. Srettha had gone to

NYC for UN Conference,

Beijing for BRI Forum,

and Riyadh for Asian-GCC Summit .

Mr. Srettha indeed looked like a political rookie,  after all, he had been in politics full time for months only and he did not have this level of international exposure in the past. 

It is very tall order for him matching up Putin, Xi and MBS, all experienced politicians. 

I think Mr. Srettha is more about vision and seriously short of style and details.  

2 hours ago, sscc said:

Just two months into his new job,  Mr. Srettha had gone to

NYC for UN Conference,

Beijing for BRI Forum,

and Riyadh for Asian-GCC Summit .

Mr. Srettha indeed looked like a political rookie,  after all, he had been in politics full time for months only and he did not have this level of international exposure in the past. 

It is very tall order for him matching up Putin, Xi and MBS, all experienced politicians. 

I think Mr. Srettha is more about vision and seriously short of style and details.  

I'm actually impressed! He's had the ear of Putin and Xi, and they seem prepared to give him the time of day. He's made a speech at the UN, and generally put himself about, so he is by now probably a familiar face on the international scene.

His endeavours at attracting inward investment for several mega projects - high speed rail from the North and the East West land bridge - could make an incalculable difference to the Thai economy. Ok, so it's Belt and Road, but he at least has some financial savvy having run Sansiri, so will hopefully bring an astute business sense to the negotiating table. We might hate him for the post election shanannigans, but it has to be time to move on. He seems at home with the Chinese, having a lot of connections in his family background. Maybe he even speaks Mandarin?

Anyway, that's my 2¢.

I wonder how Pita would have performed in the same set of circumstances?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Has Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin told Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman how much Thailand respects the sovereignty of Muslim nations? How much Thailand respects the traditions and culture of Islam without suppression and subjugation to Buddhism? 

There's a bit of Twightlight Zone with the new government's choice of economic partnerships.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sscc said:

Astute observation. he has learned some new words to say that suit any occasion...."sustainable", "Innovative" and other management guru-speak BS for you to play BSBingo with.

Some leaders do things, get things done whether you like the results of not. Others talk a lot. Srettha is like Rishi Sunak with a bit of cash to splash. Next Srettha will be flying off to Ukraine to meet Zelensky for a photo-op in matching green fatigues. I tend to prefer doers over talkers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, retarius said:

Astute observation. he has learned some new words to say that suit any occasion...."sustainable", "Innovative" and other management guru-speak BS for you to play BSBingo with.

Some leaders do things, get things done whether you like the results of not. Others talk a lot. Srettha is like Rishi Sunak with a bit of cash to splash. Next Srettha will be flying off to Ukraine to meet Zelensky for a photo-op in matching green fatigues. I tend to prefer doers over talkers. 

Any examples?

22 hours ago, bradiston said:

I'm actually impressed! He's had the ear of Putin and Xi, and they seem prepared to give him the time of day. He's made a speech at the UN, and generally put himself about, so he is by now probably a familiar face on the international scene.

His endeavours at attracting inward investment for several mega projects - high speed rail from the North and the East West land bridge - could make an incalculable difference to the Thai economy. Ok, so it's Belt and Road, but he at least has some financial savvy having run Sansiri, so will hopefully bring an astute business sense to the negotiating table. We might hate him for the post election shanannigans, but it has to be time to move on. He seems at home with the Chinese, having a lot of connections in his family background. Maybe he even speaks Mandarin?

Anyway, that's my 2¢.

I wonder how Pita would have performed in the same set of circumstances?

About the language,  Srettha has an advantage as shown in past weeks that he spoke English quite often  in informal as well as formal meeting with business executives and Head of States,  and also in public speaking on the Forum.   

Almost all executives and politicians in other countries do not know Thai language,  but a lot are fluent in English, or at least know some English.  

Srettha talked with Saudi MBS without translator from both sides, all in English. 

He met with 5-6 business groups in China including Alibaba,  Tencents,  Xiaomi,  etc and spoke English in the meeting.  

17 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Has Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin told Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman how much Thailand respects the sovereignty of Muslim nations? How much Thailand respects the traditions and culture of Islam without suppression and subjugation to Buddhism? 

There's a bit of Twightlight Zone with the new government's choice of economic partnerships.  

PM  Srettha is Not history guy of religion guy.  I doubt he understand much about either of these subjects. 

He has been too busy running from countries to countries,  meeting to meeting and might not have time to think about    " The West Vs Global South ".

For him, he engages about any business good for Thailand in both long and short run,  regardless of global and geo-politics .  The Thai like this way too. 

• Sad 1