Do you think (most) financially struggling western retirees are stupid for not retiring abroad?

Jingthing

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Don't worry, you made a mistake coming here, I understand your attitude towards others, but, I am sure we all wish you luck with your dilemma......👍..........😉

Surely you are talking about yourself, you are a Freudian case.😁

12 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes I agree with that. I wonder how many of folks on this forum are ex military and have acquired the 'travel bug' as I call it. I think ones upbringing has some influence as well. My dad was in construction and was for ever moving on to the next project, with the family in tow of course, usually one project behind him. We never lived in a house for longer than 5 years.

After many, many years I can still remember possibly the happiest person I ever met. His name was Alister and he was a sheep farmer on the Isle of Sky in north west Scotland. He was in his 60s I guess and had only left the island twice in his life and even they were only brief excursions.

I think 'happy' isn't quite the right word for Alister. Contented would be more accurate. He wanted nothing more than a warm fire in the winter nights and a wee dram or two of an evening. Few people seem to reach that state of contentment with their lives.

My GF's father had never been outside his village until two years before he died at age 88. The neighbouring rice fields are as far as he got.

They say travel broadens the mind, it likely also fires the imagination.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh hello Ralphy, long time no see, but, I don't have any hair.........:intheclub:

Obviously the shampoo bit went over your head but hey,  I don’t have the time nor the crayons to explain it to you.

Edited by Ralf001

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My GF's father had never been outside his village until two years before he died at age 88. The neighbouring rice fields are as far as he got.

They say travel broadens the mind, it likely also fires the imagination.

My gf's parents live 1 hour from 2 famous attractions, never been. She asked me to drive them there. Yet they are happy people.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You are right, and wrong. Most people do prefer to stay where they are, out of habit.

It's not a peculiar mindset. Different, yes. I would die of boredom in Australia. 

I speak Thai quite competently.

Thailand probably has the best infrastructure of any SE Asian country, except Singapore.

Many retirees here have Thai families they support, and get support in return. Your "sad and lonely" retirees occupy bar stools, I doubt they are a majority, albeit most visible.

Not what I've witnessed but maybe I'm biased.

I don't have any solid data on this so... :)

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

People on low level social security often have a check of  1000 or so. Do the math.

Sure it's different if a person owns their home clear.

Yeah but that same math works both ways.

Anyone "retiring" to place like Thailand on 1k a month or so as you say is nuts++

That person is in no way financially able to pay for medical care If or more likely when he will need it. Que the I can fly always home while having a stroke crowd 😉

Back in America that group with a 1k SS check qualify for EBT/SNAP for food Plus United health care gives them another $175 a month for anything

Plus Medicaid pays their Part B *& Part D

Then to top it off Social Security Supplemental Insurance pay them the difference  up to X level (but they cannot leave the country for more than 30 days at a time)

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-17-008.pdf

So yeah its not as dire a pic as you paint.

Believe it or not most of the car/van living crowds want that life

(Gawd knows why but they do 😅 )

Edited by mania
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

My experiences lead me to feel that being poor in America is not all that bad.  I imagine that being poor in another country where I can't speak the language, I have no citizen rights and they don't really want me there...would be a much worse option.

The point is that an income that qualifies as poverty in the US is far from poverty over here.  If you're resilient enough to survive what you did, you'll figure out the language and find your footing over here.  The social welfare payments in the West are being devoured by inflation.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I was watching a vid on Youtube the other day.

Female expat (Russian I believe) was talking about the kind of guys she met in Phuket.

3 categories:

1) Guys that are losers back home

2) Guys with mental health issues

3) Guys that are cheaters

I think she is mostly right.

Edited by Michael Klaxxon
  • Thumbs Up 1