Got strange deduction from Bangkok Bank

Woke up this morning and saw this transaction on my BBL app. I called the customer service and they told me it was from a purchase by my debit card in the past but they were not sure which one. I told them that I've never purchased anything that much with my card because normally I scan QR for high price purchase. They told me they would investigate it and reply me on October 24th. Just want to ask if anyone has experienced this and what I should do to avoid this? My card is only linked to my Apple account (no purchase, no subscription with that price, I already checked), Shopee, Lazada, Grab, Lineman, FoodPanda.

Could contain:

• Sad 1

The only cards I use are credit card issued from the US where you can challenge charges based on the Fair Billing Credit Act of 1974.  Here?  I use cash, COD, and bank transfers in that order.  And about the only thing I've used my credit card for here in Thailand was to book hotels. 

Using a debit card is asking for problems.  Oh, I'll take that back.  On the rare occasion (and I mean rare) that the only way to make a purchase here in Thailand via a credit or debit card, I'll use the account where I keep a balance with just enough funds to keep from having the bank deduct funds for a low balance, add funds for the purchase, then use the debit card.  At worst, someone attempting to use the card will probably overdraw the account balance and cause the card to bounce and close until sorted out at the bank.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Happy happy said:

The bank should be able to what was the charge was for and when it arose etc. The bank head office can tell you now the details of it and it is unacceptable to wait until 24th.

Speak to a supervisor.

If you get no answer or no satisfactory answer cancel the card and get a reference number.

This Is Thailand (TIT)  :sad:

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, longngo217 said:

My card is only linked to my Apple account (no purchase, no subscription with that price, I already checked), Shopee, Lazada, Grab, Lineman, FoodPanda.

only????

I do not link my cards, choose safety or convenience.

You can check Lazada and Shopee purchases via their websites.  Don't know about the others, don't use them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

While u r at it, Change banks too. BB Asking for insurance payments to open bank accounts is not representative of a bank you can trust. 

How long have you been in Thailand or even reading this forum - because that response says not very long.........

10 hours ago, Somjot said:

From what I have noticed or read in the newspapers in the last 25 years Bangkok Bank is actually one of the safest; same can be said about TMB, while Kasikorn Bank, well, I would be careful with them.

@longngo217

My girlfriend's young sister is working in Bangkok Bank for more than 10 years now and there have been times when she came home totally stressed out or even crying.

She started in Bangkok Bank and climbed the career ladder with incredible speed.

But when that low interest era started and banks in general had difficulties, she was more and more forced to convince customers to sign contracts for unnecessary things.

Every week her boss would gather all the employees around him, applauded the employee, who had placed the most insurance or CC contracts and then asked the one who had placed the fewest, why he had failed the company and all his colleagues.

This new company policy created a toxic atmosphere turning former friends into opponents or even enemies by putting an almost unbearable pressure on them.

And she, always being the best employee in her branch suddenly was turned into a loser and a burden for everybody.

As I really felt sorry for her, I gave her some advice with her first reaction being: “I cannot say that. It is impolite.”

I answered: “your boss has no problem to expose you in front of everybody unjustifiably calling you a failure. Is that polite?”

In the next meeting like in most previous ones she was asked again why she had placed the fewest contracts and failed the company.

To everybody's surprise and unlike the most previous meetings she did not look down on her feet and apologized quietly.

She answered: “I've always been your best employee, the hardest working, always on time and always happy to help my colleagues. The job description in my contract says “financial services clerk” and not “insurance salesman”.

“No Sir, I did not fail the company. The company failed me. Here is my notice of termination. And I'm going to find myself a bank to work for now.”

Then she left the room, walking tall and everybody looking at her, jaws dropped.

She told me, that she had never had such a feeling of relief in her whole life.

To her surprise, when she had just reached her car, the fat and now sweating boss came huffing and puffing after her with a tortured smile saying things like “Wait, we should not rush things, I was trying to motivate you always having the best intentions for you in my mind.”

Long story short: she got a fat promotion.

So if you don't get any further I offer you to contact me privately. Maybe my by now sister-in-law can get some information for you. She, like everybody on her pay grade, has access to every account from Bangkok Bank.

(That's why I secretly opened another at a TMB branch. Don't tell her.)

Interesting story. I think banks will continue to get worse. Times of governments controlling things well are over. 

Although bank bosses bath in champagne so surely they will say enough of being greedy <deleted> one day. 100 Porsches will be enough.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Somjot said:

From what I have noticed or read in the newspapers in the last 25 years Bangkok Bank is actually one of the safest; same can be said about TMB, while Kasikorn Bank, well, I would be careful with them.

@longngo217

My girlfriend's young sister is working in Bangkok Bank for more than 10 years now and there have been times when she came home totally stressed out or even crying.

She started in Bangkok Bank and climbed the career ladder with incredible speed.

But when that low interest era started and banks in general had difficulties, she was more and more forced to convince customers to sign contracts for unnecessary things.

Every week her boss would gather all the employees around him, applauded the employee, who had placed the most insurance or CC contracts and then asked the one who had placed the fewest, why he had failed the company and all his colleagues.

This new company policy created a toxic atmosphere turning former friends into opponents or even enemies by putting an almost unbearable pressure on them.

And she, always being the best employee in her branch suddenly was turned into a loser and a burden for everybody.

As I really felt sorry for her, I gave her some advice with her first reaction being: “I cannot say that. It is impolite.”

I answered: “your boss has no problem to expose you in front of everybody unjustifiably calling you a failure. Is that polite?”

In the next meeting like in most previous ones she was asked again why she had placed the fewest contracts and failed the company.

To everybody's surprise and unlike the most previous meetings she did not look down on her feet and apologized quietly.

She answered: “I've always been your best employee, the hardest working, always on time and always happy to help my colleagues. The job description in my contract says “financial services clerk” and not “insurance salesman”.

“No Sir, I did not fail the company. The company failed me. Here is my notice of termination. And I'm going to find myself a bank to work for now.”

Then she left the room, walking tall and everybody looking at her, jaws dropped.

She told me, that she had never had such a feeling of relief in her whole life.

To her surprise, when she had just reached her car, the fat and now sweating boss came huffing and puffing after her with a tortured smile saying things like “Wait, we should not rush things, I was trying to motivate you always having the best intentions for you in my mind.”

Long story short: she got a fat promotion.

So if you don't get any further I offer you to contact me privately. Maybe my by now sister-in-law can get some information for you. She, like everybody on her pay grade, has access to every account from Bangkok Bank.

(That's why I secretly opened another at a TMB branch. Don't tell her.)

Great, must have had a film crew with her to capture all these emotions and detailed accounts of words spoken as you so eloquently were able to elaborate 🙂

OP: I feel you. It's really frustrating that the bank apps and websites can't even show who some charge was made by. They do get this info btw from the card networks (Mastercard or Visa). When I had a similar issue with Krungsri they were able to tell me who made the charge on the spot. Not sure why BBL wasn't able to do the same. Maybe they have limited service during the weekend? Monday is Chulalongkorn Day so that's why it's Tuesday the 24th when they'll be able to get back to you.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Great, must have had a film crew with her to capture all these emotions and detailed accounts of words spoken as you so eloquently were able to elaborate 🙂

As far as I remember there was no film crew involved.

It was only her little speech, we had rehearsed before, the shocked faces of everybody and the few words the boss spoke to her on the parking lot.

It was spoken in Thai and me, not being a native speaker in both languages, translated it into English, trying as good as I can not to let anything get lost in translation but of course this was not a word for word translation.

Apologies for the confusion, should I have created the impression, that it was.

On 10/21/2023 at 3:27 PM, longngo217 said:

Woke up this morning and saw this transaction on my BBL app. I called the customer service and they told me it was from a purchase by my debit card in the past but they were not sure which one. I told them that I've never purchased anything that much with my card because normally I scan QR for high price purchase. They told me they would investigate it and reply me on October 24th. Just want to ask if anyone has experienced this and what I should do to avoid this? My card is only linked to my Apple account (no purchase, no subscription with that price, I already checked), Shopee, Lazada, Grab, Lineman, FoodPanda.

Op... First things first - If you don't recognise the transaction, cancel the card. 

Secondly, you should be able to get more information from the Bank...  Dig for more information and you should get it. 

Also, double check your subscriptions, some can auto renew at a higher price unless cancelled etc.

There are some that sometimes catch me out. 

------

As far as others discussing credit cards and Bank accounts etc here... it seems there is a lot of paranoia about, but really, using local Credit Cards, Banking Apps, PromptPay etc here - no issues... 

We use Credit cards mostly (racks up the air-miles), there is fraudulent activity on my Wife's card about 2-3 times per year, its easily dealt with (I suspect on of the online shopping sites is responsible).

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2023 at 9:46 PM, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Never connect any debit or credit card with a Thai Bank account.

Use cash as much as possible. Keep the parameter-settings in the Thai Bank account to 0, regarding the daily payments etc.

The world is under daily cyber attacks that have even hit many online banks in Germany or France.

So imagine Thailand.

Perhaps we should all get an AR15 to protect ourselves from the tyrannous governments trying force us to avoid using cash.... 

'theres always some good n proper paranoid paranoid shyte on this forum... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/21/2023 at 8:03 PM, TimeMachine said:

While u r at it, Change banks too. BB Asking for insurance payments to open bank accounts is not representative of a bank you can trust. 

Have several accounts there and never bought the insurance package. Just say: no thank you. Shouldn't be too difficult.