Delta airlines in USA to Bangkok 90 day stay with 60 day visa

Greetings all, Once again I am faced with a 60 day visa on a 90 day stay in Thailand. I go thru this every January. The airlines don't publish requirements for these things , it is up to the crankiness or lack of crankiness of the airline people you run into. I have shown them the thai website that says 30 day extension is available and they don't like it. Last few years I have bought a one way ticket to either Singapore or kuala lampur because they don't require visa for americans for 30 day visits. I am all set to buy 58th day exit ticket to Singapore for just $40 so I don't have to argue with anyone at the airport (I always lose the argument). I can buy that bogus ticket that I will not use but was wondering if anyone coming from USA has been through this recently and not needed an outbound ticket. I do not want to buy one of those totally fake tickets for $10.   Thanks for your replies 🙂

It's unusual for airline to ask for onward ticket if you have a visa.

Certainly the case for airlines to request onward flight if flying visa exempt.

You clearly are well aware of what to do if refused by airline.

Step away from counter and book a "throw away flight''

Obviously you require internet. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you checking in with DL, or a regional carrier? Your last leg is on KE?

Since you do not wish to purchase a legal reservation from Onward Ticket, and seem intent on spending more money, buy a DMK-PNH throwaway on FD.

You will likely be rejected at OLCI, or a kiosk at the airport, with the message "See agent".

Or wait to see if you are denied boarding at check-in, step out of line, secure a throwaway or Onward Ticket, then check in.

I am fairly certain that having a visa will overcome any objections. Systems like Timatic prompt for a visa. So you will not have a problem.

HAve you been denied boarding on your previous January - March trips?

I assume your ticket is a straight-up RT, USA-BKK-USA over ~ 90 days.

• Like 1

There should not be any problem at all.

You have a 60-day Tourist Visa, so there is no need to show an onward-flight when boarding your flight in USA.  And there is certainly no requirement from Thai border-immigration for such an onward-flight (as that requirement only pertains to VisaExemp entries).

In the last 1-2 weeks of the 60-days Permission to stay you will be stamped in for by Thai border-immigration on arrival, you simply need to go to any Thai Immigration Office and apply for a 30-days extension of stay.  That costs 1.900,- THB, is delivered on the spot and the 30 days added to the expiry date of your 60-days Permission to stay.  So that's exactly 90 days.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

There should not be any problem at all.

How do you figure that given the OP has stated that he was given grief by ill-informed check-in staff on his previous trips?

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

How do you figure that given the OP has stated that he was given grief by ill-informed check-in staff on his previous trips?

Simply ask for supervisor, when clueless airline staff wants to see an onward-flight reservation when checking in on your flight and you have a valid VISA.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Simply ask for supervisor, when clueless airline staff wants to see an onward-flight reservation when checking in on your flight and you have a valid VISA.

Its a requirement from Thailand not the airline. They are just enforcing the regs as they can be held responsible for returning passengers not in compliance if they don't check. Having a visa is often accepted but not a guarantee. Also the evisa system in the US has started to ask for a return ticket before processing Tourist Visas on at least some applicants. I got an email on my last Tourist visa recently and had to upload a exit ticket before they would process my visa 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a common found practice for both Delta Airlines and Korean Airlines to Ask for proof of your flight departing Thailand within the first 59 days of your arrival into Thailand. I fly Delta Airlines and Korean Airlines to Thailand OFTEN.

Other airlines are asking for the same proof. 

IF you are in the Delta SkyMiles program, just use 22,500 miles and book a One Way ticket to SGN Saigon..Ho Chi Minh City. Book it and then cancel the booking online. No $$$ paid ticket needed.

11 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Since you do not wish to purchase a legal reservation from Onward Ticket, and seem intent on spending more money, buy a DMK-PNH throwaway on FD.

You will likely be rejected at OLCI, or a kiosk at the airport, with the message "See agent".

Or wait to see if you are denied boarding at check-in, step out of line, secure a throwaway or Onward Ticket, then check in.

I am fairly certain that having a visa will overcome any objections. Systems like Timatic prompt for a visa. So you will not have a problem.

The only problem with Onward ticket purchases at the check in line is their office needs to be open to get the confirmation.  Last time I bought one I had to wait till the following day to get the confirmation so it wouldn't have worked last minute at check in had I been at the counter in the airport.

6 hours ago, Sigmund said:

Far better to use a US or European airline, then any of the other former popular airlines of the Gulf states who have dropped in quality, service and increased their prices.

We all have our preferences. Personally, while happy to use some of the European airlines, there is not a single US airline I would use over most of the Middle Eastern and Asian carriers.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a big problem getting on my last flight to Thailand with Delta, never had a problem before. I almost didn't get on except one of the more experienced staff members intervening, then he got me on a KAL flight that left a few hours after my original flight. I couldn't talk sense into the other staff, explaining how visas worked in Thailand!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I guess you don't fly from the States very often.

10 hours ago, Dan O said:

The only problem with Onward ticket purchases at the check in line is their office needs to be open to get the confirmation.  Last time I bought one I had to wait till the following day to get the confirmation so it wouldn't have worked last minute at check in had I been at the counter in the airport.

The couple of times that I bought an onward-flight reservation (using onwardticket.com) I got the flight-reservation within seconds after having paid on-line with my creditcard. 

11 hours ago, travelerjim said:

It's a common found practice for both Delta Airlines and Korean Airlines to Ask for proof of your flight departing Thailand within the first 59 days of your arrival into Thailand. I fly Delta Airlines and Korean Airlines to Thailand OFTEN.

Did/do you have a Visa? Or are you entering Thailand on a 30-day tourist visa extension? The OP has a 60-day Tourist Visa.

Other airlines are asking for the same proof. 

These are airlines you've also flown on? Which ones?

IF you are in the Delta SkyMiles program, just use 22,500 miles and book a One Way ticket to SGN Saigon..Ho Chi Minh City. Book it and then cancel the booking online. No $$$ paid ticket needed.

Have you had to utilize this approach? This is a good option, assuming your status allows for no feel award cancellation. I'm not familiar with the SkyMiles terms and conditions.

10 hours ago, Dan O said:

This does not align with family members who have used this service, the reservation code was issued automatically, within a few minutes.

1 hour ago, tao40 said:

I had a big problem getting on my last flight to Thailand with Delta, never had a problem before. I almost didn't get on except one of the more experienced staff members intervening, then he got me on a KAL flight that left a few hours after my original flight. I couldn't talk sense into the other staff, explaining how visas worked in Thailand!

Can you elaborate on your experience? Was this recent? You were denied boarding for some number of hours because you did not have proof of onward travel. But then a supervisor determined that you could travel, and had to accommodate you on a different flight(s)?

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

If refused entry at Suvarnabhumi, how would you get to DMK to use that ticket?

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

The couple of times that I bought an onward-flight reservation (using onwardticket.com) I got the flight-reservation within seconds after having paid on-line with my creditcard. 

I've gotten them in seconds before as well but the last one (recently) I booked was after there office hours and I got a email that it was accepted and the confirmation would be emailed when the office opened again.  I didn't get the confirmation until about 8 hours later when there office was open. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

This does not align with family members who have used this service, the reservation code was issued automatically, within a few minutes.

I'm just relaying my experience on the last ticket I order and what happen to me. I needed the confirmation page for my visa application and had to wait about 8 hours. I've gotten them several times immediately as well.  I would advise people to not wait and apply while in line checking in but book before so your not caught out at the last minute 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I've gotten them in seconds before as well but the last one (recently) I booked was after there office hours and I got a email that it was accepted and the confirmation would be emailed when the office opened again.  I didn't get the confirmation until about 8 hours later when there office was open. 

I don't doubt your experience. 

Their website < onwardticket.com > states:

Get A Verified Flight Reservation Within 60 Seconds

So that turns out to be a broken promise, and it would be recommended to have some 'back-up' service providers for an onward flight reservation, when doing it close to boarding time.

17 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

If refused entry at Suvarnabhumi, how would you get to DMK to use that ticket?

We're talking about being denied BOARDING at your first point of departure.

So the ticket is only used to satisfy the airline's check-in staff and their requirement for proof of onward travel.

No clue why your fictional person was denied entry at SBIA/BKK?

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

We're talking about being denied BOARDING at your first point of departure.

So the ticket is only used to satisfy the airline's check-in staff and their requirement for proof of onward travel.

No clue why your fictional person was denied entry at SBIA/BKK?

An acquaintance of mine enters Thailand VE twice a year and has done so for many years. He applies for a 30-day extension each time, staying 59 days.
To comply with the airlines' policy of having a ticket out within 30 days, he's always obtained a throwaway outbound ticket.

Last year he was prevented from boarding (Emirates) because his outbound ticket was from DMK to REP (Siam Reap).
He was asked just how he would travel to DMK should he be refused entry at SUV.
He subsequently obtained another ticket SUV to REP and was then allowed to board.

Emirates explained they'd recently been fined and had to return customers to their previous departure point at their cost, because they couldn't use the outbound ticket (bus/train/airline) if refused entry.

Airlines catch on quickly when they have to cover return costs.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Thanks for this detailed, albeit third-hand (agent-friend-you-us) account of EK's aggressive enforcement of the proof of onward travel requirement. That EK requires that the onward travel must be from the same airport as arrival, and must be within the validity of the visa or TVE.

Of course, the OP is flying DL, maybe KE, and has a valid visa.

But I do question the accuracy, veracity, and logic of your interpretations of EK's policies.

For example, EK could not sell an open-jaw ticket USA-BKK/HKT-USA, as the onward ticket departs HKT when arriving at BKK. I can guarantee EK would not deny boarding outbound.

And, assuming your return ticket was within 30 days, let's say, then that return ticket is not valid if you are denied entry at BKK unless you wait in Detention for 29 days. So what? EK denies boarding? Of course not.

In every account of denied entry (at BKK) here and on FB (first-hand) the individual is responsible for purchasing their own ticket. No airline is forced to transport someone without the issuance of a ticket. Do airlines pay some sort of fine? Maybe. Could be urban myth?

Lastly, buy an Onward Ticket ex-BKK.

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

An acquaintance of mine enters Thailand VE twice a year and has done so for many years. He applies for a 30-day extension each time, staying 59 days.
To comply with the airlines' policy of having a ticket out within 30 days, he's always obtained a throwaway outbound ticket.

Last year he was prevented from boarding (Emirates) because his outbound ticket was from DMK to REP (Siam Reap).
He subsequently obtained another ticket SUV to REP and was then allowed to board.

Emirates explained they'd recently been fined and had to return customers to their previous departure point at their cost, because they couldn't use the outbound ticket (bus/train/airline) if refused entry.

Airlines catch on quickly when they have to cover return costs.

Does the requirement to use the actual reservation you show at check in mean that, in the event of a denied entry, you must remain at the airport in Bangkok until that flight leaves, perhaps 30 days later? That is a singular requirement.

"Last year he was prevented from boarding (Emirates) because his outbound ticket was from DMK to REP (Siam Reap).
He subsequently obtained another ticket SUV to REP and was then allowed to board."

This doesn't make sense---

"Ticket out" is for getting out within visa free or visa time limit. Not at first entry!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

So that turns out to be a broken promise, and it would be recommended to have some 'back-up' service providers for an onward flight reservation, when doing it close to boarding time.

Yeah I have no idea why as I never had an issue before and it caught me off guard. Not sure if its a common occurrence or some special issue like site maintenance or what but had I been in line at check-in it certainly would have been inconvenient to say the least

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Here's the notice that was on the email confirming (which I got in seconds) I had made the purchase but is not the ticket copy just the order copy.  Just so everyone can see that it could happen at the worst time and maybe best to buy ahead to avoid that last second surprise.

• Expect delay in the ticket delivery process! This booking order was made out of our ticket office hours and is queued to be processed as soon as our office is open in the morning (08:00AM GMT+07:00, approximately 5 hours and 10 minutes from now). Thank you for your patience!

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2023 at 7:56 PM, bamnutsak said:

I have been denied boarding 2 times in Atlanta where Delta is notoriously cranky. Now I live in Denver where they are quite reasonable, not sure about Delta, my first time flying out of Denver

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

Does the requirement to use the actual reservation you show at check in mean that, in the event of a denied entry, you must remain at the airport in Bangkok until that flight leaves, perhaps 30 days later? That is a singular requirement.

No, it means unable to use that 'ticket' out, Emirates would have been responsible for returning him to his point of departure at their expense, hence they refused boarding.