Winter festival in Thailand to boost tourism through creative events

webfact

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

How can these imaginary and unplanned events "boost tourism"?

People have already made their travel plans, so they're coming to Thailand regardless.

No tourists are going to wait until next month to hear about events and then book a trip.

And this "soft power" thing is getting old.

Not same for Westerners and Asians. 

Westerners booked months prior to departure. 

Very common for Asians decided going and booking a week or two or three or four prior to departure.

1 minute ago, sscc said:

Very common for Asians decided going and booking a week or two or three or four prior to departure.

If you say so.

Waiting until closer to departure means you pay more for airfare and hotels. Supply/demand.

I'm just wondering how they'll know about these festivals, and if those will incentivize spur-of-the-moment/last-minute travel.

Look, I love festivals. Festivals probably generate a ton of domestic travel/consumption.

A couple thoughts ...

... I've never planned a holiday ahead, and many do not.  Though do agree, many won't be changing or able to, if events even interest them.

... why do y'all think it's geared toward international tourist?  As domestic tourist also take advantage of the cooler weather to travel TH vs the colder regions outside of TH seeking warmer weather.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The primary focus of their discussion was the forthcoming “Colourful Bangkok Winter Festival” scheduled for year-end.

The government is gearing up to launch a minimum of 11 activities related to soft power, with more details set to be released in the coming month

I guess with no snow or ice 3rd choice soft power prevails.

• Haha 1

I wish they would bring back the beer festival event that was right in front of the Central World Mall. It used to take place every night for a few weeks every Nov-Dec. Live music, variety of beer and food. The prices were quite reasonable. 

But, if I remember correctly, they haven't had it since 2019, and, so I am not hopeful. 

Edited by JemJem

15 minutes ago, JemJem said:

I wish they would bring back the beer festival event that was right in front of the Central World Mall. It used to take place every night for a few weeks every Nov-Dec. Live music, variety of beer and food. The prices were quite reasonable. 

But, if I remember correctly, they haven't had it since 2019, and, so I am not hopeful. 

They used to do that over 20 years ago and also have big football matches on live, 

The clown in pink sox should give the digital wallet to Chinese tourists.  Make it 20k and it will still be cheaper than giving it to Thais. That would guarantee an increase in the Chinese tourism he is panting for. 

Thais have no idea why foreign tourists come to Thailand or why they stop coming.

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

They used to do that over 20 years ago and also have big football matches on live, 

Well, in the 90's, that event took place every year and it lasted about 2 months. Or maybe it was even a bit longer. But then later, I think it happened occasionally and they shortened it. Last time I was there was either in late 2018 or late 2019, and I think it lasted only 4-5 weeks. 

I know of other beer garden type of events and places in Bangkok that don't exist anymore. Tomorrow, I will head for Central Bangkok and see what they have this year as beer garden event. But, it is not November yet. Maybe some will open a bit later in the year.