Rishi Sunak’s efforts to hold his party together look increasingly futile

Social Media

image.png

Holding together an unruly Conservative party ultimately proved an impossible task for Boris Johnson and for Liz Truss – and now risks looking insurmountable for Rishi Sunak.

The prime minister is increasingly criticised privately by Tory MPs for being too “weak” to stand up to warring backbenchers, amid a host of briefings about him backtracking on key policies.

A bill on conversion practices was said to be in the upcoming king’s speech, before a campaign by a leading figure on the Tory right, Miriam Cates, sparked an apparent reverse ferret by the government.

Plans to boost housebuilding by axing nutrient neutrality rules have also reportedly been axed, because of the challenge of getting the legislation through parliament.

And a promise to end “no-fault evictions” also looks set to be kicked into the political long grass, in part because of widespread hostility by Tory MPs – a fifth of whom are said to be landlords.

U-turns are not necessarily more common now than under previous prime ministers, or compared with when Sunak took office.

Johnson was often criticised by colleagues for marching them all up to the top of the hill to defend a decision – before retreating. And Truss was forced to tear apart her agenda in the face of market instability and threats by MPs to vote against elements of the mini-budget.

Indeed, in the opening weeks of his premiership, Sunak backtracked on housing targets and a ban on new onshore windfarms.

The moves were designed to neutralise Tory infighting and restore some stability to the party, after its disunity contributed to toxifying the Conservative brand.

FULL ARTICLE

Guardian.png

• Thanks 1

The grifters have been put on notice - only 1 more year to fill their pockets and hide the evidence.

“strategists regard a Halloween election next year as the most likely timing. “October 31 is a Thursday,” a source said. “That is what people are working towards.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why-hunt-must-bite-the-bullet-on-tax-in-the-autumn-statement-l23lvvcsm

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

The grifters have been put on notice - only 1 more year to fill their pockets and hide the evidence.

“strategists regard a Halloween election next year as the most likely timing. “October 31 is a Thursday,” a source said. “That is what people are working towards.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why-hunt-must-bite-the-bullet-on-tax-in-the-autumn-statement-l23lvvcsm

12 months should be plenty of time for Labour to screw it up. Again.

Now, where's Diane Abbott? Get her back pronto. I'm sure she'll have some wonderful, insightful observations about the current wave of anti-semitism.

https://news.sky.com/story/diane-abbott-accused-of-hateful-antisemitism-after-suggesting-jews-do-not-face-racism-12864141

image.png.1b3f78bf79b4187315390cd7281e78d1.png

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Why do you ask?

Diane Abbott is very clearly living rent free in your head, ready to pop out whenever you are in need of an off topic diversion away from Tory problems.

Why do I ask? I'm hoping she returns to the fold to create more havoc for Labour. It's always fascinating when someone of her ilk takes centre stage because she lacks the ability to stop her virtue mask from slipping and the true beliefs of Labour are exposed for all to see (as with her anti-semitic comments comparing Jews to Ginger people). It's highly entertaining. 😃

Plus the Tories need some help and she could be just the woman to provide it. Although Labour have plenty more gems like Rayner, Lammy, Phillips, Thornberry up their sleeve. All accidents waiting to happen.

Come back Diane. We misss youuuuuuuu.... xxx

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Why do I ask? I'm hoping she returns to the fold to create more havoc for Labour. It's always fascinating when someone of her ilk takes centre stage because she lacks the ability to stop her virtue mask from slipping and the true beliefs of Labour are exposed for all to see (as with her anti-semitic comments comparing Jews to Ginger people). It's highly entertaining. 😃

Plus the Tories need some help and she could be just the woman to provide it. Although Labour have plenty more gems like Rayner, Lammy, Phillips, Thornberry up their sleeve. All accidents waiting to happen.

Let’s get back to the thread and in the increasingly obvious fact Sunak can’t hold the Tory party together, which particular flavour of Tory fruitcake hopes to make a comeback.

I’m of course referring to that darling of the right who came within hours of destroying the nation’s pension industry and who has single handedly massively increased to mortgage interest being paid by millions of people who get to vote at the next election.

Yes the dangerous lunatic is your very own favourite Liz Truss.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Apparently, you believe in Superwoman who has powers to eliminate deep voter dissatisfaction with  the i conservative performance on the isssues of the NH and economy. You should be posting such comments not here but rather in the fan fiction forum.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

12 months should be plenty of time for Labour to screw it up. Again.

Now, where's Diane Abbott? Get her back pronto. I'm sure she'll have some wonderful, insightful observations about the current wave of anti-semitism.

https://news.sky.com/story/diane-abbott-accused-of-hateful-antisemitism-after-suggesting-jews-do-not-face-racism-12864141

image.png.1b3f78bf79b4187315390cd7281e78d1.png

In the same 12 months, at least 2 Tory MPs will find out whether they are going to be charged with rape, and who knows how many more will feel the old bill sniffing around them?

The public outrage at the billions of pounds of money that Tory cronies stole during the pandemic isn't going to go away - in fact I predict the outrage will grow as more evidence comes to light. 

The staggering incompetence shown in their handling of HS2 is going to also become even more problematic. And let's not dismiss this week's confirmation that Johnson saw the economy as more important than lives during COVID.

And, of course, brexit isn't going to suddenly look like a wise decision, is it?

No, Sunak will soon be able to go back to his multi millionaire lifestyle and, once again, be proudly able to declare that he isn't friends with any working class people.

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

There is only 1 troll in all these threads, and it's the one who can be identified by his needs of excessive use of emoji's in every post to make his point.

Good morning Ben, nice to see you are paying attention to important stuff........:clap2:....🤭

• Confused 1

On 11/1/2023 at 9:16 PM, RuamRudy said:

Yes, because heaven forbid you get exposed to an alternative perspective.

I have, the useless Labour Party and the corrupt SNP, then there's the Monster Raving Loony Party, so stop your guessing game........:guitar:

• Confused 2

On 11/2/2023 at 9:54 AM, transam said:

Oh hello, RR, not seen you for a while, this must be a Tory bashing thread...........😂

Hello Tranny, it's always nice to see the villains of the piece being given a good kicking so rest assured, I will always be ready to fight the good fight when it comes to Nasty Party bashing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What party?  You mean that bunch of back stabbing, incoherent, self obsessed, arrogant, entitled, barely literate morons in {parliament? They are not a party, or a group, or a team, they are a rabble. The ones on the other side of the House are no better. 

• Confused 1