Were they tough working years?

georgegeorgia

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Antarctica is certainly a place  I would love to see. Sometimes I regret not having gone in the military,but I am not sure I would want to do what might be required from me to do. Nursing . or any medical field in the military would combine  the benefits of being in the military and helping people. 

Sorry if I was confusing. I was not a nurse in the military. That came after.

I did go to Antarctica while in the military, but not as a military person. They liked us as the military paid our wages so they didn't have to.

We had a retired colonel in charge for the summer, who was completely unable to control the mainly independent mountaineer types that liked to go there back then. Being used to issuing orders that were obeyed without question, he visibly deteriorated mentally in the face of such "rebellious" staff till the day he was able to slink away without so much as a goodbye to the base staff. He was actually a good guy, as I used to visit him after, but putting military officers in charge of the base was not a good idea.

It was definitely the best year in my adult life, as I was able to basically do my own thing and ignore the <deleted> that was in charge over winter. Sadly, <deleted>s are everywhere, and Antarctica has it's share of incompetent managers.

I think the biggest buzz was climbing a nearby hill to watch the sun rise over the horizon for the first time in 8 weeks, but I enjoyed ever day there.

Many didn't, but they had wives/ girlfriends back home and we had no women on base at all. Luckily I didn't have a girlfriend at that time so I could just enjoy being there away from all the BS of the "civilized" world.

• Love It 1

Just now, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I work in an office. Sometimes hard but not too bad. Interesting work. If you work in an office you need some sort of stimulation to keep you thinking. Can now work 3 days at home which makes it that much more appealing and a good transition to retirement too. 

I think I'd have gone crazy working in an office, so kudos to those that can.

My father wanted me to be a banker, so thank the deity I didn't do what he wanted.

I was always puzzled about why people paid to go to a gym, till I realised they are people that work in an office and get no exercise at work. Every job I ever had had exercise as part of the job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry if I was confusing. I was not a nurse in the military. That came after.

I did go to Antarctica while in the military, but not as a military person. They liked us as the military paid our wages so they didn't have to.

We had a retired colonel in charge for the summer, who was completely unable to control the mainly independent mountaineer types that liked to go there back then. Being used to issuing orders that were obeyed without question, he visibly deteriorated mentally in the face of such "rebellious" staff till the day he was able to slink away without so much as a goodbye to the base staff. He was actually a good guy, as I used to visit him after, but putting military officers in charge of the base was not a good idea.

It was definitely the best year in my adult life, as I was able to basically do my own thing and ignore the <deleted> that was in charge over winter. Sadly, <deleted>s are everywhere, and Antarctica has it's share of incompetent managers.

I think the biggest buzz was climbing a nearby hill to watch the sun rise over the horizon for the first time in 8 weeks, but I enjoyed ever day there.

Many didn't, but they had wives/ girlfriends back home and we had no women on base at all. Luckily I didn't have a girlfriend at that time so I could just enjoy being there away from all the BS of the "civilized" world.

Your lucky in your career of nursing,it had taken you all over the World 🌎did you ever work Australia?

Edited by georgegeorgia

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think I'd have gone crazy working in an office, so kudos to those that can.

My father wanted me to be a banker, so thank the deity I didn't do what he wanted.

I was always puzzled about why people paid to go to a gym, till I realised they are people that work in an office and get no exercise at work. Every job I ever had had exercise as part of the job.

Did you like shift work?

How many of you here had "hard' life doing shift work?

Not many I'm guessing 

21 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Your lucky in your career of nursing,it had taken you all over the World 🌎did you ever work Australia?

I had obtained the nursing documentation to work in Aussie, and at one time I was going to get a job up by the Barrier Reef, as I'm a qualified scuba diver, but I discovered Thailand and stayed put in London as I was only interested in making money to go to LOS.

I was also interested in the Flying Doctor Service, but ditto.

I had also inquired about working in Canada in a ski area as I loved skiing, but at that time if a Canadian nurse wanted to work there I would have been sacked to allow them to work instead, so I gave that a miss.

I even passed the American exam to work in America, but the litigious nature of the Americans was a disincentive, so I went to work in Saudi instead, which had no such insanity, provided free accommodation, and a free yearly flight to home location. They also paid a whole lotacash to work there. I actually got hooked on Thailand on a stop off between Saudi and NZ.

Nursing, now it's such an unpopular job, gives all sorts of opportunities for interesting jobs around the world given the world wide shortage of nurses.

Interesting jobs like ORBIS, which has a flying operating theater that treats eye problems in the third world.