Car Park Safety

Linda2

Hello everyone

I'm a newbie & thought I'd say hello and remind parents to be careful with their children in carparks.

My husband and I were at Carrefour yesterday. As we were reversing into our parking spot, 2 young boys (may be 5-6 yr old) suddenly ran beside our car to get into a parked car next to us (grandma waiting in the back seat). It was lucky that I noticed them and my husband stopped the car. The parents turned up a little later, quite oblivious of the danger their children were in. As we proceeded to reverse the car once the children were safely inside, the parents did the same as the children! They proceeded to walk beside our car, while we were still reversing, to put their shopping in the booth! Needless to say it was a dangerous situation. The space between the two cars were not that great, and it was especially even more dangerous for the children as they were quite small. If we were driving a taller vehicle we may not have seen them.

I would think most parents would be aware of this sort of thing, but clearly some aren't, or may be they have something else on their minds at the time...but with cars and children - you can't be too careful.

Hello everyone

I'm a newbie & thought I'd say hello and remind parents to be careful with their children in carparks.

My husband and I were at Carrefour yesterday. As we were reversing into our parking spot, 2 young boys (may be 5-6 yr old) suddenly ran beside our car to get into a parked car next to us (grandma waiting in the back seat). It was lucky that I noticed them and my husband stopped the car. The parents turned up a little later, quite oblivious of the danger their children were in. As we proceeded to reverse the car once the children were safely inside, the parents did the same as the children! They proceeded to walk beside our car, while we were still reversing, to put their shopping in the booth! Needless to say it was a dangerous situation. The space between the two cars were not that great, and it was especially even more dangerous for the children as they were quite small. If we were driving a taller vehicle we may not have seen them.

I would think most parents would be aware of this sort of thing, but clearly some aren't, or may be they have something else on their minds at the time...but with cars and children - you can't be too careful.

welcome Linda2!

most people in LOS are abit casual when it comes to road safety etc. eg when crossing the rd, most will cross in front of vehicals and throw up the stop signal with their hand as if that makes it ok and cross. And then you realise how the kids get their road awareness from.

after all that amulet around your neck will protect you from all :o

welcome Linda2!

most people in LOS are abit casual when it comes to road safety etc. eg when crossing the rd, most will cross in front of vehicals and throw up the stop signal with their hand as if that makes it ok and cross. And then you realise how the kids get their road awareness from.

after all that amulet around your neck will protect you from all :o

Yes, I must admit road awareness/safety is quite dubious in Thailand, as are a lot of things to do with safety in general! ...and the mum was farang, so I thought she would know better....but then may be if you live here for a long time, you might pick up some local habits???