Labour ministry to raise minimum wage to Bt400 max by December

snoop1130

Screenshot-2023-10-26-174550.png

The Ministry of Labour is considering raising minimum wages, which currently range from 328-354 baht per day, to a maximum of 400 baht, according to Labour Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn.

He said today (Thursday) that by how much wages will be increased depends on the economic situation and inflation in each province, but the maximum should not exceed 400 baht per day.

The minimum wage issue was discussed at a meeting today of the Senate Labour Affairs Committee, which was attended by Phiphat and Labour Permanent Secretary Pairote Chotikasathien.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-10-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

5 hours ago, Pilot3Boz said:

Still a sub-human wage to survive on!! My caddie makes more than that in high season and she still struggles with raising her 2 kids alone.. 

Hardly. It’s all relative and look at other parts of Asia and Africa. Ascribing western wages is, again, naive. Minimum earners in the UK get something like 3500 baht a day and that is essentially unliveable there with your own digs. You could double, triple, x10 wages here but what do you think is going to happen? Everything goes up in kind and the low earners still get the shaft. That is the monetary system I’m afraid.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Pilot3Boz said:

Still a sub-human wage to survive on!! My caddie makes more than that in high season and she still struggles with raising her 2 kids alone.. 

Yes, that is the message they all put out, not only caddies.

• Confused 1