US Passport Renewal Question

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

and for that what does he do?   what a waste OF $$$

It's not a waste of money if you are unsure as to what the outcome might be,  The American Embassy and Consulate are now completely devoted to dealing with American citizens by mail or website ONLY. Gone are the days when you received their lousy service in person. Embassy employees are here to party and attend "functions".  Work is not part of what they do.

• 2 months later...
On 10/28/2023 at 8:00 PM, Felton Jarvis said:

Is anyone else having difficulty with the Passport Renewal process at the US Embassy in Bangkok? They seem to be trying to route everyone into doing the renewal by mail.

I have tried to do that but keep getting thrown into an endless computer loop that can only be terminated by backing out of the website entirely. I live in Jomtien, so it would

be easier for me to do the renewal in person, but there is scant information on how to do that. My passport still has a year on its validity but the Embassy website process

is so daunting that I question my ability to complete the process. I have never seen a more useless website in terms of the links provided that sometimes lead nowhere and even though

I have a year to get this done, I am losing hope that I can get it done in person, which would be my choice. I suppose I could call them but a friend has already been told that the appointment has to be made online. When I keep getting thrown into the "loop from Hell", I question whether the site is working correctly.  Any advice?  I'm not interested in flames and insults. If you can't be civil, don't bother to comment. Again, what I want to do is make the application and pay in person, if that option is available.

My sentiments exactly Mr. Jarvis.  
I’m currently stumbling through this unexpected, unwelcome new process.  
It’s been no picnic so far and I’m deep into the weeds of tech, my nemesis.

Full disclosure:  As an American citizen, I don’t appreciate my government excluding me from our embassy for this service.  Instead we are now forced to do their work for them, and pay for the privilege.       If only I had been trained to do this work….

But at 77, it’s a little late.  End of rant.

I have made some progress.  The helpful Thai guy in an internet shop did some printouts.  I even made it thru the Form Filler and got it printed.  

But today another tech roadblock.  My plan is to do something positive each day.  Gotta move this forward now.  My passport expires in October.  Sure hope US government stays open.  
Today my plan was simple, I thought.  I wanted to sign up on the thailandpost.co.th  website.  Then maybe I could meet the challenge of making the first online payment of my life.  I do have a Bank of America debit card.    
But first, the sign up….  Well, all I can say is the thailandpost website was a complete disaster.  Where is the English?  I hit the English button so many times, only to get a mishmash of languages, most of it in Thai.

I tried a few searches.  “ courier pass back” was my best try.  
Search result:  “ Sorry, There is no information support your selected language! “

So that was my dead end, doom loop today.  Tech makes me feel so stupid.

Appreciate any help.

15 hours ago, thailien8 said:

My sentiments exactly Mr. Jarvis.  
I’m currently stumbling through this unexpected, unwelcome new process.  
It’s been no picnic so far and I’m deep into the weeds of tech, my nemesis.

Full disclosure:  As an American citizen, I don’t appreciate my government excluding me from our embassy for this service.  Instead we are now forced to do their work for them, and pay for the privilege.       If only I had been trained to do this work….

But at 77, it’s a little late.  End of rant.

I have made some progress.  The helpful Thai guy in an internet shop did some printouts.  I even made it thru the Form Filler and got it printed.  

But today another tech roadblock.  My plan is to do something positive each day.  Gotta move this forward now.  My passport expires in October.  Sure hope US government stays open.  
Today my plan was simple, I thought.  I wanted to sign up on the thailandpost.co.th  website.  Then maybe I could meet the challenge of making the first online payment of my life.  I do have a Bank of America debit card.    
But first, the sign up….  Well, all I can say is the thailandpost website was a complete disaster.  Where is the English?  I hit the English button so many times, only to get a mishmash of languages, most of it in Thai.

I tried a few searches.  “ courier pass back” was my best try.  
Search result:  “ Sorry, There is no information support your selected language! “

So that was my dead end, doom loop today.  Tech makes me feel so stupid.

Appreciate any help.

I had an American Attorney here in Pattaya, get my renewal done. It cost me a bit over 5000 baht, but service was quick and I was able to pick up my new (and old) passport in about five weeks. I had already paid the Embassy fee for the passport and had a receipt. Integrity Legal can do the whole package for you if necessary. The Embassy website is a garbage can of bad tech.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Felton Jarvis said:

I had an American Attorney here in Pattaya, get my renewal done. It cost me a bit over 5000 baht, but service was quick and I was able to pick up my new (and old) passport in about five weeks. I had already paid the Embassy fee for the passport and had a receipt. Integrity Legal can do the whole package for you if necessary. The Embassy website is a garbage can of bad tech.

you paid 5,000 baht OVER the price of the $130?
wow

I am not the smartest always in the room but was able to get thru the applications an got it back in 41 days in Nov by mail 

38 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

you paid 5,000 baht OVER the price of the $130?
wow

I am not the smartest always in the room but was able to get thru the applications an got it back in 41 days in Nov by mail 

Glad you were successful. Experience has taught me that I will NOT be. I will pay more money to get the results I require. Glad that your superior intelligence allowed you to get something cheaper.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Thank you sir.  I may do the same.  
Did you have any tech problems paying the Embassy fee online?  
Did your attorney deal with the thailandpost website that is mostly in Thai?

This is off topic. Hopefully someone can assist....

So almost 3 weeks back I applied to renew my AU passport using mail option. 

Just now received this email that states....

"Your passport is on its way to your nominated address by a local
postage service in your country or region
if you need help you can contact your local embassy or consulate
This email is generated automatically. Do not reply.
Australian Passport Office"

So my question..does that mean my  new pp is in Thailand or Australia?

Obviously trying to work out when it arrives my condo in Bangkok