Marriage Visa Chaengwattana

Hi,

Some advice please.

I am considering applying for Non-imm O based on marriage/Child.

I have the money in a joint account with my wife. But it appears it has to be in single applicant name. No problem transferred to my own account (which also used to have my salary payments).

Question - There is no official information on immigration website or docs saying minimum time needed for 400k in bank account. By the the time I apply I will have had the funds in my own name for almost 1 month. Obviously I get consideration stamp 30 days. What has everyone experience with length of time money required in own account?

1 hour ago, NONG CHOK said:

It's 60 days when applying at first, then 90 days for every subseqent one year visa application.

That is so wrong.

Application for the Non Imm O Visa requires the money to be in the bank on the day of application.

From then on the requirement is money in the bank for 2 months on every 12 month extension application.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, your post lacks detail.

Are you currently in Thailand.

If so what is your status....

Yes currently in Thailand on Non Imm B with extension of stay until March 2024. I plan to resign from my current job soon and take a break. I believe I can transfer onto non-o marriage/child dependent (I have a 2 year old daughter with my wife who was born here).

400k was in a joint savings account. I understand it must be only in my account. But we only found this out this week and subsequentlytransferredto my own account. I plan to resign mid Nov. I'm concerned the length of time money on my own account won't be deemed long enough. We have all the other docs.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by bangkok blue

6 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

That is so wrong.

Application for the Non Imm O Visa requires the money to be in the bank on the day of application.

From then on the requirement is money in the bank for 2 months on every 12 month extension application.

As I've lived in Thailand for the past 22 years and I can only state what I knew at the time of my first visa application. It's changed that many times I bit the bullet and started using agents. I used my Bangkok address for the Changwattana office and for the past 5 years I've used my condos address in Pattaya. Agents rarely give you the wrong advice, whereas officials seem to have a different version even amongst themselves.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, bangkok blue said:

Yes currently in Thailand on Non Imm B with extension of stay until March 2024. I plan to resign from my current job soon and take a break. I believe I can transfer onto non-o marriage/child dependent (I have a 2 year old daughter with my wife who was born here).

400k was in a joint savings account. I understand it must be only in my account. But we only found this out this week and subsequentlytransferredto my own account. I plan to resign mid Nov. I'm concerned the length of time money on my own account won't be deemed long enough. We have all the other docs.

Thanks for any advice.

For applying for the Non Imm O Visa at CW money in the bank on the day you apply.

For 12 month extensions money in the ban for 2 months.

7 hours ago, bangkok blue said:

Yes currently in Thailand on Non Imm B with extension of stay until March 2024. I plan to resign from my current job soon and take a break. I believe I can transfer onto non-o marriage/child dependent (I have a 2 year old daughter with my wife who was born here)

Your plan will work.

Be aware that it's possible to obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife to buy time.

Here is a thread that covers the process with clear posts from ubonjoe.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1233744-want-to-change-from-non-–-b-to-non-–-o-based-on-marriage-as-leaving-my-job/

Edited by DrJack54

Be sure you understand the big difference between two approaches:

1. At the time your extension of stay based on working is cancelled, you apply for a new extension (either 60-day to visit your Thai spouse, or a one-year extension based on marriage to a Thai).
  2. When you employment ends, you leave Thailand, and return either with a Non O visa based on Thai spouse or a visa exemption. In the latter case, you will apply for a Non O visa at Immigration.

You cannot apply for a new visa at Immigration when already in Thailand on a Non Immigrant entry.

A 60-day extension is easy. The main condition is that you have not had one since the last time you entered Thailand with a new visa. Entering with a re-entry permit does not entitle you to an extra 60-day extension.

To apply for a one-year extension based on marriage, you must have 400k baht in a Thai bank account for at least two months on the day you apply. This minimum seasoning duration is fixed, although the senior official does have discretion to waive it. The financial seasoning is virtually never relaxed unless you go through an agent.

An application for a Non O visa at Immigration requires 400k baht in your account on the day you apply.

While I had been living in Thailand on a retirement visa I got married and after 10 years moved to the US for three years with my wife.  Upon returning to Thailand with my Thai wife, I entered on a visa on arrival and applied for a marriage visa.  HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART:  I was told that I needed to open a personal bank account and have 400,000 baht transferred into it from overseas.  Just saying you might want to check on this for your case.  

1 hour ago, BarnicaleBob said:

While I had been living in Thailand on a retirement visa I got married and after 10 years moved to the US for three years with my wife.  Upon returning to Thailand with my Thai wife, I entered on a visa on arrival and applied for a marriage visa.  HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART:  I was told that I needed to open a personal bank account and have 400,000 baht transferred into it from overseas.  Just saying you might want to check on this for your case.  

if you're a US passport holder you would have come in visa exempt, not VOA. They are completely separate visa classes.

On 10/30/2023 at 7:27 AM, BritTim said:

Be sure you understand the big difference between two approaches:

1. At the time your extension of stay based on working is cancelled, you apply for a new extension (either 60-day to visit your Thai spouse, or a one-year extension based on marriage to a Thai).
  2. When you employment ends, you leave Thailand, and return either with a Non O visa based on Thai spouse or a visa exemption. In the latter case, you will apply for a Non O visa at Immigration.

You cannot apply for a new visa at Immigration when already in Thailand on a Non Immigrant entry.

A 60-day extension is easy. The main condition is that you have not had one since the last time you entered Thailand with a new visa. Entering with a re-entry permit does not entitle you to an extra 60-day extension.

To apply for a one-year extension based on marriage, you must have 400k baht in a Thai bank account for at least two months on the day you apply. This minimum seasoning duration is fixed, although the senior official does have discretion to waive it. The financial seasoning is virtually never relaxed unless you go through an agent.

An application for a Non O visa at Immigration requires 400k baht in your account on the day you apply.

It is correct that you cannot apply for a new visa while in Thailand, but.....

I retired in September and was on Non-B visa.  

The day after my contract terminated my employer went o cancel my work permit and gave me the letter of proof of cancellation. I also had a letter from my employer confirming my retirement.

CW gave me a 60 day extension based on marriage. I had all the necessary documents, bank statement and photos. Today, I am going to do a 1 year extension.

There is absolutely no need to leave the country.

It took me 4 trips and something like 30 hours at Chaeng Wattana to find out about all this.

PS. During those 4 trips I found out for sure that different officers have different requirements. On my last trip I got all 3 of the officers talking together about the different requirements.

Edited by petedk