Wanting to start a long term investment for Thai partner…to make sure they’re looked after.

mikey88

Hello all,

Wonder if anyone with personal experience in this can tell me what they did …. or give advice.

I have a lifetime Thai partner who’s a good bit younger than me.

I’m in the early 70’s.

They work but the money is not going to be anywhere near enough for their old age or retirement.

I don’t want particularly to just give cash.

I’m thinking of a long term …safe….investment .

Something that I might be able to add to over the remaining years and something they can access in 20 or so years…?

Any thoughts ? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dave0206 said:

Not that it makes one bit of difference regarding advice sought or given but no where does it mention a she or a he .Good luck either way nice you are thinking of there future 

Stay on topic, noting you're gender sensitive.....LOL

• Confused 2

Might be too late at 70 but is there anything you can do in your home country that could set up annuity style payments for your partner? 

Mine will receive 1/2 of my private (not State) pensions when I die which should give her enough money to have a reasonable lifestyle even if she spends/sells everything else she’ll get. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, mikey88 said:

I’m thinking of a long term …safe….investment .

Something that I might be able to add to over the remaining years and something they can access in 20 or so years…?

I don't know about Thai law, but in the old country there was a thing called "Life Estate" for real property.

If it's the same here, you might want to purchase a condominium and either live in it, if you haven't already purchased one, and or lease it out, making sure that the lawyers advise the Land Titles Office that it is a "Life Estate" meaning your partner gets to live in it for the remainder of their life or can lease it for the remainder of their life, after that the government gets it, unless you nominate someone else to inherit it, i.e. a child if your partner has children.

I am sure you can also lease it now and Will it to her in 20 years, at the time of your passing they will receive the rent until they pass.

I have a long term partner who I have Willed everything to, what happens to it after I am gone, is up to them, suffice to say, educating them on how to save, invest and plan for the future does help as has been show to me by my partner, and of course, education is free and rewarding at the same time in situations like this.

• Like 1

There have been a number of threads on this subject over the years and they all seem to conclude in the same way. The financial services system here doesn't provide products that most westerners are used to seeing plus the charges imposed by banks and brokers are restrictive. If you try to invest on your partners behalf, outside Thailand, there's then currency issues and taxation. Buying bonds on the secondary market could work, if interest rates were higher and if brokerage fees didn't reduce the return by so much. So you're kinds left with fixed assets such as land, property income (potentially) or cash/gold. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't know about Thai law, but in the old country there was a thing called "Life Estate" for real property.

If it's the same here, you might want to purchase a condominium and either live in it, if you haven't already purchased one, and or lease it out, making sure that the lawyers advise the Land Titles Office that it is a "Life Estate" meaning your partner gets to live in it for the remainder of their life or can lease it for the remainder of their life, after that the government gets it, unless you nominate someone else to inherit it, i.e. a child if your partner has children.

I am sure you can also lease it now and Will it to her in 20 years, at the time of your passing they will receive the rent until they pass.

I have a long term partner who I have Willed everything to, what happens to it after I am gone, is up to them, suffice to say, educating them on how to save, invest and plan for the future does help as has been show to me by my partner, and of course, education is free and rewarding at the same time in situations like this.

Agree on the 'educating' part and from experience it takes a long time to get the 'student' to fully understand and to ultimately buy in. Keep in mind the educations needs to be in small slow steps because at first it's totally daunting to the student. And quite likely the student feels intimidated and feels completely out of place with the subject, the forms, the gov't agencies / banks / lawyers that might be involved.  Slowly slowly. 

• Love It 1

Land with palm on it, 20rai will give around 50,000 baht a month, there are costs like fertiliser and wages for Burmese workers to look after the land but can be a good income for a Thai. Or buy land and build rooms and rent them out, 2,000 to 3,000 each a month, depending on what part of Thailand you live in. But need a strong person to deal with tenants.

22 minutes ago, Dave0206 said:

I'm not gender sensitive but first few replies jumped to the assumption it's a she I don't give a flying duck if its a he or she

And what if they did, you responded because you do give a flying duck, otherwise you wouldn't have responded.

I think it a natural instinct to assume it is a she, e.g. when I was typing I wrote she every time and then changed it to their and they, fact of the matter is we have all been hardwired (programmed) to think in a certain way, change is hard, and some of us try, those of us that aren't lazy, that is.

I do get what your saying though, ducks can fly 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

And what if they did, you responded because you do give a flying duck, otherwise you wouldn't have responded.

I think it a natural instinct to assume it is a she, e.g. when I was typing I wrote she every time and then changed it to their and they, fact of the matter is we have all been hardwired (programmed) to think in a certain way, change is hard, and some of us try, those of us that aren't lazy, that is.

I do get what your saying though, ducks can fly 🙂

It's not widely known but there are several species of ducks that can't fly, including the Pekin and Moulard. 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Land with palm on it, 20rai will give around 50,000 baht a month, there are costs like fertiliser and wages for Burmese workers to look after the land but can be a good income for a Thai. Or buy land and build rooms and rent them out, 2,000 to 3,000 each a month, depending on what part of Thailand you live in. But need a strong person to deal with tenants.

How do you know there will be Burmese workers around 10 or 20 years from now. Maybe by that time the Burmese are the controllers?

53 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Stay on topic, noting you're gender sensitive.....LOL

It is on topic, the OP starts with partner (singular) and continues with "they" (plural), so one might imagine it could be a same sex relationship, which is none of my business but it makes a lot of a difference in terms of what kind of investments or inheritance would be appropriate. The OP also is completely vague on the amount, how many zeroes. I could suggest life insurance with payouts, but it depends on the above.

• Thanks 1

I see in the Bangkok Post this morning that the GSB is starting to offer reverse home loans or real estate equity loans, for the first time. This is the problem with using land or houses in an attempt to provide security during older years, the banks will come along and profit from the scheme. 

• Like 1