Chiang Rai man discovers three-carat natural pearl worth thousands of Thai baht

webfact

image.jpeg

A three-carat natural pearl discovered inside a clam has been confirmed as genuine. The owner, who hails from Buasali, Mae Lao, Chiang Rai, vowed to keep the valuable find for its auspicious significance rather than sell it.

Yesterday, in Chiang Rai, the news of 45 year old Sethapong Sivavong’s unusual discovery, a 1-centimetre pearl inside a clam, made headlines. Sethapong, also known as Principal Deaw, who also holds the position of vice chairman of the Rajpracha Sports Club, later disclosed more about the rare find. The pearl had been sent for testing to the Chiang Mai Gem Testing Laboratory (CGT LAB), a renowned gemology institute.

The lab confirmed that the pearl was indeed a product of nature. It’s a white, radiant pearl, clearly reflecting light, weighing about 3.084 carats. The CGT institute issued a document certifying the pearl’s authenticity, reported Sanook.

by Samantha Rose

TOP Picture courtesy of Sanook

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I hope he has a good hiding place, now that the entire population knows of his "good fortune"

Yes, like winning the lottery and becoming a candidate for kidnapping.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Probably the most confusing article I have read this year!

Pearls come from Oysters, not Clams.

Chiang Rai is about as far from the sea/ocean as one can get, so where in Chiang Rai would he have "found" it?

I did a quick Google. Clams can have pearls, but it's rare.

My guess is that he found it in a clam he bought at a seafood market.

• Thanks 1