BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

26 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

64GB is a huge number of songs if your thumb drive is full. I’m not sure what the car onboard storage is but you can also upload your songs onto a local folder and play it from there. When cycling through the different play modes, there is a local option. I always wondered what that option meant but I think it is for this exact purpose ie uploading your personal stuff onto the car infotainment system.

13 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Local is the onboard storage, I think it’s around 56 gb (?).

I have all my music on my iPhone ( 82 gb ) and I just use Bluetooth via the Music app , works just like my iPod touch ( now resigned to the drawer ).

Now if you want to use google maps via Apple CarPlay it might not be a good option to play music via Bluetooth as well.

There is the option to sideload Google maps but now most Seal owners have updated I don’t believe it is possible and I am reading Seal owners on the latest version are downgrading to sideload/install APK’s then updating again ……. sounds like a lot of work !

I have just under 40GB of songs, so I may try storing in local storage, assuming there's a bulk copy option, I'm not going to try doing it one at a time!  In total I have 890GB of music, 20 years ago I ripped all my music and gave away all my CD's.

I am not familiar with android, how do I sideload apps?  

18 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I have just under 40GB of songs, so I may try storing in local storage, assuming there's a bulk copy option, I'm not going to try doing it one at a time!  In total I have 890GB of music, 20 years ago I ripped all my music and gave away all my CD's.

I am not familiar with android, how do I sideload apps?  

You are in for a sh*t load of frustration but will have a tremendous sense of achievement at the end of it lol. For detailed instructions, follow the videos available on YT. I think if any of us try to direct you on here, you will probably give up after a few tries :).

Main thing is to make sure you view the most recent videos as the passwords are regularly changing.

8 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

You are in for a sh*t load of frustration but will have a tremendous sense of achievement at the end of it lol. For detailed instructions, follow the videos available on YT. I think if any of us try to direct you on here, you will probably give up after a few tries :).

Main thing is to make sure you view the most recent videos as the passwords are regularly changing.

I believe that for the latest version of the Seal it has become more difficult ( or maybe the password is not out yet ) as I see many on FB advertising their wares( rear springs, wraps, coatings etc etc ) are offering to “ unlock “ the screen to add apps for free with their goods unless having the latest firmware which means downgrading and a small fee.

The company I bought the rear mirror/cameras from is saying the same.

But to have Google Maps and other stuff installed on the cars software is definitely appealing.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I believe that for the latest version of the Seal it has become more difficult ( or maybe the password is not out yet ) as I see many on FB advertising their wares( rear springs, wraps, coatings etc etc ) are offering to “ unlock “ the screen to add apps for free with their goods unless having the latest firmware which means downgrading and a small fee.

The company I bought the rear mirror/cameras from is saying the same.

But to have Google Maps and other stuff installed on the cars software is definitely appealing.

Just asked the Sinjet guy about how to unlock the screen and he confirmed it is not possible on the latest update and need to downgrade to another version, which apparently is not an easy task.

In Brazil, where the Seal was released 2/3 months ago, they also confirmed that.

Now , this guy in Aus made it look very easy but have to assume they have an older version.

Anyhoo, my Sinjet guy offered to do it for me if I visited his shop in south east Bangkok.

So, I might well do that, I am thinking Google, Google Maps and YouTube and possibly PlugShare and Charge Loma would be good for starters  ……

Any thoughts ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Just asked the Sinjet guy about how to unlock the screen and he confirmed it is not possible on the latest update and need to downgrade to another version, which apparently is not an easy task.

In Brazil, where the Seal was released 2/3 months ago, they also confirmed that.

Now , this guy in Aus made it look very easy but have to assume they have an older version.

Anyhoo, my Sinjet guy offered to do it for me if I visited his shop in south east Bangkok.

So, I might well do that, I am thinking Google, Google Maps and YouTube and possibly PlugShare and Charge Loma would be good for starters  ……

Any thoughts ?

My BYD Seal hasn't been upgraded to the latest software (the one with the app store); the notification for update hasn't come up (I picked up my car on Dec. 6th).

I am going to try side-loading some apps. First I will try using this method, which I just came across:

If this fails, I will try using the password as used in the video as posted by @Andrew Dwyer above. Will update soon :smile:

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

In order to sideload and install apps, you need the password to get into the relevant menu. I think the password changes with every update so that could be the hurdle. It eventually turns up on YT though :)

I have also installed the main charging apps (PEA, PTT, ELEXA) but haven’t tried using them yet. The app loads up just fine.

Does every app need to be an APK ??

Am creating a flash drive with the stuff I want to sideload ( via the Sinjet guy ) and its all a little above me.

The SD card now contains my music and the driver recorder is still working.

Following Andrew's method, I installed NetFlix, ChargeLoma, Plugshare & Google Maps.  ChargeLoma won't work, it says it needs Google Play Services, whatever that is.

Plugshare wasn't loading the map, that could be because the car is in the garage and it can't get a GPS fix.

NetFlix won't work either.  

11 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The SD card now contains my music and the driver recorder is still working.

Following Andrew's method, I installed NetFlix, ChargeLoma, Plugshare & Google Maps.  ChargeLoma won't work, it says it needs Google Play Services, whatever that is.

Plugshare wasn't loading the map, that could be because the car is in the garage and it can't get a GPS fix.

NetFlix won't work either.  

You used the Tall Paul guy’s method and password ?

I assumed that you have the latest software ?, might give mine a go !!

TBH , I’d be happy with just Google Maps permanently installed .

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

You used the Tall Paul guy’s method and password ?

I assumed that you have the latest software ?, might give mine a go !!

TBH , I’d be happy with just Google Maps permanently installed .

Yes his method and password, I don't know which version of software I have installed.

6 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Yes his method and password, I don't know which version of software I have installed.

Okay, when I plug in the usb there’s no request for password , I can see the APK’s , can move them to local, but they will not open.

IMG_2471.thumb.jpeg.67fbf439e0a47f87a31259359bc41dad.jpeg

I guess the last OTA stuffed it for us.

@kevp will probably come back to confirm.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay, when I plug in the usb there’s no request for password , I can see the APK’s , can move them to local, but they will not open.

IMG_2471.thumb.jpeg.67fbf439e0a47f87a31259359bc41dad.jpeg

I guess the last OTA stuffed it for us.

@kevp will probably come back to confirm.

Hello. So I have some good news and some bad news. NOTE my BYD Seal's software version is (I think) the one BEFORE the update, which introduced the BYD app store and digital onboard Instruction Manual.

The great news is that the method by naming the folder 'SilentInstaller' works automatically as you can see in the photos below, a quick google translate shows that the green is successfully installed and the red is failed. I believe the red are just cache files picked up by the system so they are not meant to be installed anyway?

image.thumb.jpeg.0db519b49a6f18000b71095f3764667f.jpeg

By simply exiting that page, I found all the APKs I had in that folder installed.

image.thumb.jpeg.1a51950ea9bceaa1a4253042160ffae0.jpeg

Google Maps works to search for things (ie internet access works), however it doesn't seem to get the location.

SO, even by allowing all permissions for Google Maps, PlugShare, Netflix or YouTube, I was given errors, which I think are to do primarily with Google Services.

image.thumb.jpeg.552b99de9490e1d9296d3af20648c66f.jpeg

The above pic shows the Netflix error. A quick search shows that this has to do with potential corrupted cache data? https://forums.tomsguide.com/faq/device-failure-occurred-501-1006-netflix-error.190051/ Apart from switching the car off and on I didn't reset the system by holding the volume button as you do when installing the official BYD dashcam. Perhaps this can solve all the issues? I will try this later and update again.

image.thumb.jpeg.60398b2421411e3f7392ac911e799f68.jpeg

I don't have a screenshot of YouTube, because it only opens for a second with a popup saying something to do with Google Play services, which I think is the same as the PlugShare Error above.

The 1 app that works flawlessly is Pocket Casts, which is my podcast app of choice. I could sign in, all my subscribed podcasts loaded and it works great.

IN SUMMARY (I think), the installation method works to install all the apps, however, I believe some apps have their own security checks, which may limit their operation? If anyone has any insight on this please let me/us know!

Edited by kevp
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, kevp said:

I don't have a screenshot of YouTube, because it only opens for a second with a popup saying something to do with Google Play services, which I think is the same as the PlugShare Error above.

The 1 app that works flawlessly is Pocket Casts, which is my podcast app of choice. I could sign in, all my subscribed podcasts loaded and it works great.

IN SUMMARY (I think), the installation method works to install all the apps, however, I believe some apps have their own security checks, which may limit their operation? If anyone has any insight on this please let me/us know!

If you google search for youtube without google play services, you will find an old version to download.

I think the issue I am having is it once installed it might be scanning my 40GB of music to initalise so I need to try it on a long drive.

Well it all seems a little hit and miss, the Malaysian guy’s video on kevp’s post states Google owned apps will have problems but others won’t ??

and other than kev’s podcast app and gweiloman’s youtube app has anyone had any success sideloading ??

My usb didn’t require a password when entering the car but JB and Aussie Paul’s did so points to some definite changes made with the last OTA.

Think I’ll hang fire a little to see if my Sinjet guy can confirm that downgrading allows Google Maps and YouTube to be side loaded ( and what happens if you want to upload  ? ) before hitting Bangkok traffic.

1 hour ago, kevp said:

Hello. So I have some good news and some bad news. NOTE my BYD Seal's software version is (I think) the one BEFORE the update, which introduced the BYD app store and digital onboard Instruction Manual.

The great news is that the method by naming the folder 'SilentInstaller' works automatically as you can see in the photos below, a quick google translate shows that the green is successfully installed and the red is failed. I believe the red are just cache files picked up by the system so they are not meant to be installed anyway?

image.thumb.jpeg.0db519b49a6f18000b71095f3764667f.jpeg

By simply exiting that page, I found all the APKs I had in that folder installed.

image.thumb.jpeg.1a51950ea9bceaa1a4253042160ffae0.jpeg

Google Maps works to search for things (ie internet access works), however it doesn't seem to get the location.

SO, even by allowing all permissions for Google Maps, PlugShare, Netflix or YouTube, I was given errors, which I think are to do primarily with Google Services.

image.thumb.jpeg.552b99de9490e1d9296d3af20648c66f.jpeg

The above pic shows the Netflix error. A quick search shows that this has to do with potential corrupted cache data? https://forums.tomsguide.com/faq/device-failure-occurred-501-1006-netflix-error.190051/ Apart from switching the car off and on I didn't reset the system by holding the volume button as you do when installing the official BYD dashcam. Perhaps this can solve all the issues? I will try this later and update again.

image.thumb.jpeg.60398b2421411e3f7392ac911e799f68.jpeg

Update: I tried rebooting the system and it didn’t change anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well it all seems a little hit and miss, the Malaysian guy’s video on kevp’s post states Google owned apps will have problems but others won’t ??

and other than kev’s podcast app and gweiloman’s youtube app has anyone had any success sideloading ??

My usb didn’t require a password when entering the car but JB and Aussie Paul’s did so points to some definite changes made with the last OTA.

Think I’ll hang fire a little to see if my Sinjet guy can confirm that downgrading allows Google Maps and YouTube to be side loaded ( and what happens if you want to upload  ? ) before hitting Bangkok traffic.

Could this password requirement be because of how the APKs are stored? In the root folder vs in a folder named ‘third party apps’. It could be that the system automatically identifies a folder named third party apps and gives you the option to install? VS naming it SilentInstaller which skips authentication?

4 minutes ago, kevp said:

Could this password requirement be because of how the APKs are stored? In the root folder vs in a folder named ‘third party apps’. It could be that the system automatically identifies a folder named third party apps and gives you the option to install? VS naming it SilentInstaller which skips authentication?

Could be, tbh I am in uncharted territory and think that if the Sinjet guy confirms to me that Google Maps and YouTube will play after he has done his downgrade magic I will take the plunge.

Although, I do think that BYD will probably find a new way to block third party apps in the future.

Been reading some blogs on Reddit about it and someone reckons that the OTA update to 13.1.33.23.10180.1 is where they removed the SilentInstaller and Third Party Apps method along with the USB debugging switch (?).

Anyway, looking likely only a downgrade will work for me and am in two minds whether to bother or not .

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Do you have the App Store which has Browser and Karaoke downloads, or the electronic manual ?, both found on last page swiping left from Home Screen ??

These came with OTA update.

So, when I booked my appointment with the Sinjet guys to fit the rear view mirror/cameras they said they could unlock the screen to accept third party apps also and i should ask for this early in the installation as it could take a while.

Well i forgot ( maybe because i had asked them to fit the BYD dash camera also) and he never mentioned it so it never happened.

So today we had this conversation:

IMG_2480.jpeg

IMG_2481.thumb.jpeg.5401164cde6ea1c6f27138cc9ca05045.jpeg

So, I think I will go for it, I will prepare a usb flash drive with APK versions of apps I think will be handy, so far I have:

Google Chrome 

Google Maps

Waze

Youtube

Youtube music 

Youtube ( hopefully a pre Google Play Services version)

Plugshare

Charge Loma

Will look at some of the charging apps also, PEA Volta, EV PluZ etc 

Anyone think of any others that could be useful, this could be a one time deal.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I have Youtube, Google Maps, PlugShare, ChargeLoma, none of them appear to be working properly :-(

Well that’s disappointing, i’ll go ahead with the downgrade process and see what happens.

17 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So, when I booked my appointment with the Sinjet guys to fit the rear view mirror/cameras they said they could unlock the screen to accept third party apps also and i should ask for this early in the installation as it could take a while.

Well i forgot ( maybe because i had asked them to fit the BYD dash camera also) and he never mentioned it so it never happened.

So today we had this conversation:

IMG_2480.jpeg

IMG_2481.thumb.jpeg.5401164cde6ea1c6f27138cc9ca05045.jpeg

So, I think I will go for it, I will prepare a usb flash drive with APK versions of apps I think will be handy, so far I have:

Google Chrome 

Google Maps

Waze

Youtube

Youtube music 

Youtube ( hopefully a pre Google Play Services version)

Plugshare

Charge Loma

Will look at some of the charging apps also, PEA Volta, EV PluZ etc 

Anyone think of any others that could be useful, this could be a one time deal.

I recommend GBox, Huawei App Gallery, WhatsApp and Tik Tok. GBox is actually Google Play. From here, you can install Google Play apps. Only downside is that it takes two clicks to open the app. First click to open GBox and 2nd click to open the app.

Huawei App Gallery is as it says. WhatsApp is primarily for others to send me a location which I can then open directly onto google maps from the car system without having to fumble around on my phone. Tik Tok for those times when I’m waiting for my wife to do some food shopping at the market (and also to keep my passengers occupied if necessary. No preaching by anyone required, thanks).

I also have HBO GO as it comes with my 3BB account although I don’t spend enough time in the car to watch any movies. I’m yet to charge it at a CS as all my charging thus far has been at home.

I think I mentioned earlier that I also have Google Home installed (via GBox) to open my electric gate. If you really want to push the boat out, install also Ewelink and SmartLife. I also have YiLot which is my CCTV app. For ABRP to work, you need a paid subscription. 

Edited by Gweiloman
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I recommend GBox, Huawei App Gallery, WhatsApp and Tik Tok. GBox is actually Google Play. From here, you can install Google Play apps. Only downside is that it takes two clicks to open the app. First click to open GBox and 2nd click to open the app.

Huawei App Gallery is as it says. WhatsApp is primarily for others to send me a location which I can then open directly onto google maps from the car system without having to fumble around on my phone. Tik Tok for those times when I’m waiting for my wife to do some food shopping at the market (and also to keep my passengers occupied if necessary. No preaching by anyone required, thanks).

I also have HBO GO as it comes with my 3BB account although I don’t spend enough time in the car to watch any movies. I’m yet to charge it at a CS as all my charging thus far has been at home.

I think I mentioned earlier that I also have Google Home installed (via GBox) to open my electric gate. If you really want to push the boat out, install also Ewelink and SmartLife. I also have YiLot which is my CCTV app. For ABRP to work, you need a paid subscription. 

I had heard Gbox mentioned a few times and never investigated, but will now.

Tik Tok , also a great idea.

thanks .

48 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

My Gate, my Garage Door & the Development's Main Gate are on eWeLink with Siri enabled, I just say Hey Siri Gate and it opens.

I use eWeLink for swimming pool timer (tracking sunset), outside lights, balcony lights, boilers, Solar Power breakers, 2 outside fountains, fountain in the lake, bedside lights, exhaust fans in the roof (triggered by temperature & time of day), cat drinking fountains in both houses, garden spotlights and 6 outside chandeliers with flame effect bulbs that we run from 9pm to a tracked sunrise.

As you might have guessed, I like IoT control of a lot.

Would love a tour of all your gadgets if ever I’m in CR lol.

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2024 at 5:51 PM, Gweiloman said:

Unique problem you have there :). I’m usually listening to either Spotify (app built in) or YT Music or listening to YT. Both these apps are sideloaded onto the Android OS which powers the infotainment system.

Couldnt you blue tooth to your phone to listen to your playlists on it?

Did you manage to get YT/YT Music working on the infotainment system?

Anybody considered an Android Box which would give you wireless carplay and apps. There are 2 versions of the Carlinkit one with ambient light and one without. Then you choose Android 11 or 13 and then how much ROM and RAM you want. Best results would be to use your own data sim or you could use the hotspot from your phone. I'm still deciding.

https://www.carlinkit.com/tbox-plus

Box.thumb.jpg.4330f6ca2f011e8a41767fcc78fdbdc8.jpg

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/local-carlinkit-tbox-wireless-carplay-ai-box-android-13-wireless-android-auto-adapter-sim-wifi-gps-8128g-for-head-unit-with-carplay-i4817050852-s19985438938.html?

• Thanks 1

Went out for lunch today around 11 came back about 2, around 4.30 the little lady and eldest lead weight head out to the local market. But she returns before she even left ( what ? ) saying the new meter is here !!

Sure enough the TOU  is on the post all wired up and working, the cables to the wall charger are terminated. ( according to the curtain twitcher next door they came around 12.30 ).

Not even a phone call !! or a note in the post box, if eagle eyed wifey hadn’t noticed the bits of cable on the ground outside the gate it could have gone days before we noticed it !

Turned the breaker on and plugged the car in and it started charging immediately which I was pleased to see.

Pulling 7 kw at the meter and 6.1 kw going into the car, more loss than I expected with an all new setup but I blame PEA , they couldn’t even set the clock right on the meter ( 10 minutes adrift ).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Pulling 7 kw at the meter and 6.1 kw going into the car, more loss than I expected with an all new setup but I blame PEA , they couldn’t even set the clock right on the meter ( 10 minutes adrift ).

There is nothing wrong with your hookup regarding charging loss.   A good 7KW wall charger paired with a good onboard rectified in your EV will have around a 90 to 92% charging efficiency with the great bulk of the charging loss occurring "within the EV...at it's rectifier...associated EV electronics while charging, etc."    The Seal, Atto, and Dolphin sold in Thailand have a 7K single phase onboard rectifier (I read that some models sold in some European countries have a 3 phase 11KW onboard rectifier).

With my 7KW wall charger and my Atto I get a charging efficiency ranging from 90 to 92% primarily depending on the outside temperature at time of charging. 

• Thanks 2