BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

It does appear that I cannot have my Line account on another device so will delete from the car.

Might be the same with WhatsApp ?

With WhatsApp, you can have your one account on multiple devices. For LINE, I created a new account via the carlink kit and a new SIM card. In this respect, WhatsApp is better than LINE.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2024 at 9:53 AM, JBChiangRai said:

I haven't checked, but I suspect the nose cone is plastic

Was at the dealer today to pickup my white plates  - asked about the plastic and the service guy said yes front and back pieces are plastic. 

Next stop was PPF shop

180 micron 3yr warranty 6 monthly inspection and full polish
฿28,000 - front half of the car not glass roof
฿56,000 -  whole car not glass roof plus interior trim

190 micron 4yr  warranty 6 monthly inspection and full polish
฿38,000 - front half of the car not glass roof
฿63,000 - whole car not glass roof plus interior trim

Thinking I will go for the 190 micron 4yr  warranty whole car

20240110_102011944_iOS.jpg.d7d1e20a9e2428470971629fc8e5b74a.jpg20240110_102012052_iOS.jpg.7d1b603c422c6a9045f7b9b0355e1e54.jpg20240110_102012103_iOS.jpg.dfbe4ffc760853ff23b98ad151c7d483.jpg20240110_102012148_iOS.jpg.aa66cb92562cf1c46c87d8cd6072e41c.jpg20240110_102012203_iOS.jpg.6ffb11ba4e2dd8718313e1bee0aa0737.jpg20240110_102000875_iOS.thumb.jpg.b1b4ce13f65df4165bd806275af654be.jpg20240110_102001153_iOS.thumb.jpg.cbb7c2a38318c66555e05e5c2860efab.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Paint - there are links to Lazada and Shopee further back in the discussion, but if anybody can't find them, I will dig them out tomorrow.

I bought 2 versions.

Big pot of good quality thick paint that didn't match the colour of the Seal - too cream 

Small pen good colour match but very thin and watery

20240110_013423050_iOS.thumb.jpg.f84eae3663316707cb1f959cf0c5882f.jpg

20240110_013443570_iOS.thumb.jpg.49f4a622b5c8c38db5cd652ce1346ee3.jpg20240110_013457209_iOS.thumb.jpg.6b6453106a26f6e399c59ae6c5c82b20.jpg20240110_013521430_iOS.thumb.jpg.a21f5cc5bd47d0b071c1913cb0faa3f9.jpg

Colour match  - big blob from big pot, small blobs from the pen

20240110_013336007_iOS.thumb.jpg.52d37ebd6597d0515fc92b2077571477.jpg

Paint wait 24 hours and polish 

20240110_014016265_iOS.thumb.jpg.24cd29807b445d2399b1e6ad8fba6c44.jpg

Before

First run:

20240110_023701428_iOS.thumb.jpg.ab0473c6a4fe8b81f08a751cd44249ba.jpg

I have to repeat a few times 

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Paint - there are links to Lazada and Shopee further back in the discussion, but if anybody can't find them, I will dig them out tomorrow.

I bought 2 versions.

Big pot of good quality thick paint that didn't match the colour of the Seal - too cream 

Small pen good colour match but very thin and watery

20240110_013423050_iOS.thumb.jpg.f84eae3663316707cb1f959cf0c5882f.jpg

20240110_013443570_iOS.thumb.jpg.49f4a622b5c8c38db5cd652ce1346ee3.jpg20240110_013457209_iOS.thumb.jpg.6b6453106a26f6e399c59ae6c5c82b20.jpg20240110_013521430_iOS.thumb.jpg.a21f5cc5bd47d0b071c1913cb0faa3f9.jpg

Colour match  - big blob from big pot, small blobs from the pen

20240110_013336007_iOS.thumb.jpg.52d37ebd6597d0515fc92b2077571477.jpg

Paint wait 24 hours and polish 

20240110_014016265_iOS.thumb.jpg.24cd29807b445d2399b1e6ad8fba6c44.jpg

Before

First run:

20240110_023701428_iOS.thumb.jpg.ab0473c6a4fe8b81f08a751cd44249ba.jpg

I have to repeat a few times 

The problems trying to repair damage on the plastic sections of the car:

There is no clearcoat to protect the paint and that can be polished to hide scratches.

There is no paint just a colored plastic wrap which leaves a big hole when it’s damaged 

The paint available online does not match the color on the car and is very thin and watery, making filling the hole difficult.

The color wrap is very thin and is easily damaged by aggressive polishing.

IMG_3202.thumb.jpeg.d90b1db3cd416fe4c687facd1733f4e1.jpeg

1 hour ago, kevp said:

Hi, any chance anyone in this group who hasn't been notified of the latest update yet (the one with the BYD app store, digital manual, etc.)?

I haven't had my car since Monday but I haven't been notified yet.

6 hours ago, kevp said:

Hi, any chance anyone in this group who hasn't been notified of the latest update yet (the one with the BYD app store, digital manual, etc.)?

The criteria used for handing out the OTA updates seems a bit of a mystery and judging from FB posts on Atto’s and Seal’s we are not alone.

I was an early adopter of the OTA but had received my Seal 2 weeks after and 1 month after a couple of posters on this thread, both received their OTA a week ( two weeks ? ) after me.

I downgraded a few days ago to side load some apps, a few minutes after the downgrade was complete the OTA started to download ( just to clarify as some might have missed it, but the OTA downloads automatically with a red dot notification on the bell icon on top centre of screen, once download completes then the red dot notification moves to the car icon on bottom right of screen for you to install ), so i got mine very early …. twice !!

Have you not got your OTA notification @kevp ??

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The criteria used for handing out the OTA updates seems a bit of a mystery and judging from FB posts on Atto’s and Seal’s we are not alone.

I was an early adopter of the OTA but had received my Seal 2 weeks after and 1 month after a couple of posters on this thread, both received their OTA a week ( two weeks ? ) after me.

I downgraded a few days ago to side load some apps, a few minutes after the downgrade was complete the OTA started to download ( just to clarify as some might have missed it, but the OTA downloads automatically with a red dot notification on the bell icon on top centre of screen, once download completes then the red dot notification moves to the car icon on bottom right of screen for you to install ), so i got mine very early …. twice !!

No. Unfortunately I haven't. I received my car on the 6th of Dec and my Sim / app was working as of 25th Dec.

On the one hand I'm not too in a rush because I want to get Google maps working before the update. But just that I don't have the option is a little frustrating. 😐

5 hours ago, kevp said:

No. Unfortunately I haven't. I received my car on the 6th of Dec and my Sim / app was working as of 25th Dec.

On the one hand I'm not too in a rush because I want to get Google maps working before the update. But just that I don't have the option is a little frustrating. 😐

Yup, in the back room of a BYD head office somewhere there’s an old lady pulling VIN numbers out of a hat !!

If you want Google maps I would suggest the Sinjet guy in Bang Na ( see my previous post ) he can put pretty much whatever you want on there and knows exactly how to do it.
GBox will give you access to the Google Play Store which you can then download apps even after the OTA.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I do notice that I have the AVAS off button in the shortcut panel. Wasn't that a part of the OTA update? But I definitely don't have a store or a user manual.

2 minutes ago, kevp said:

I do notice that I have the AVAS off button in the shortcut panel. Wasn't that a part of the OTA update? But I definitely don't have a store or a user manual.

No, I had the AVAS button when I received the car , Nov 30th, but it would have been included in the OTA for posters receiving the car earlier than myself.

The OTA update for me primarily was the store and the manual so suspect your version is the same as mine was when i received the car.

Before the OTA we established there were at least 3 different versions here in Thailand depending upon delivery date.

The OTA just downloads the latest version irrespective of what you had before: for example.

1st time OTA took around 50 minutes 

2nd time OTA took 10 even though I had downgraded to a much earlier version ( my browser and karaoke downloads stayed through this process ).

• Thanks 2

When BYD releases a new firmware/software release I expect they stagger/spread-out which vehicles get it say during the 1st week of release, more the 2nd week, more the 3rd week, etc., to prevent their OTA servers from being overloaded/crashing due too many vehicles trying download the OTA at the same time.  When your OTA shows-up it will be based on some unique numbering associated with your vehicle.   Lots of software companies (like Windows) handles it this way as to when some update shows-up as available for download/install for your electronic machine.   

I have 3 Windows laptops and it's not uncommon for updates (especially major updates) to appear for download/install on different days for each machine no matter how many times I click "Check for New Updates" on each machine.  Same for a piece of Samsung software I have on two of those laptops...same for VPN software I have on all three machines. 

Yeap, the staggering/spreading out of the release is occurring to prevent overload/crashing of the servers.  It can get disheartening if you want to get the latest update on your machine "right now" but it's queue number in "staggering/speading-out" process has not reached the front of the OTA release line yet.

When Ver 1.7 came out for the Atto my Atto didn't receive it until about two weeks after I started seeing Thai language Youtube's of people in Thailand who had received the update.  In that Atto update from V1.61 to V1.7 an AVAS icon appeared which allowed turning off & on the pedestrian/soi dog warning that you are coming.  

P.S.  I picked my Atto in late Oct and to this day I still can not register with the BYD app which allows you to see/control certain things from your smartphone.  Keep getting the error of "This account is not bound to any vehicle...."   What's it's saying is my email address is not registered as the owner of the car...not a unique problem as my googling shows many people have run into this problem while others never experience the problem....can register on the app just a few days after picking up their new BYD.  Another case of just my luck.    My BYD dealership as supposedly been trying to resolve this for over a month now as I didn't try to register with the app until early Dec 2023 and that's when I initially identified the problem to them.   Just yesterday I went to my dealership for the 3rd time on this issue and once again they said give them 3 to 7 days as they need to submit electronic paperwork "again" to hopefully get the problem fixed...that is, my email liked to my Atto....only a BYD dealership can do this as they are also confirming you are the owner of the vehicle and that's the email address you want to use.  This electronic paperwork ultimately ends up in China where the BYD app server is located and those China-based server administrators are the ones who link your email to your vehicle.  China has me by the short hairs on this issue.  :tongue:   I expect my current problem is caused by some "typo" in previously submitted electronic paperwork like a typo in the email address, the VIN, etc.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Pib said:

P.S.  I picked my Atto in late Oct and to this day I still can not register with the BYD app which allows you to see/control certain things from your smartphone.  Keep getting the error of "This account is not bound to any vehicle...."   What's it's saying is my email address is not registered as the owner of the car...not a unique problem as my googling shows many people have run into this problem while others never experience the problem....can register on the app just a few days after picking up their new BYD.  Another case of just my luck.    My BYD dealership as supposedly been trying to resolve this for over a month now as I didn't try to register with the app until early Dec 2023 and that's when I initially identified the problem to them.   Just yesterday I went to my dealership for the 3rd time on this issue and once again they said give them 3 to 7 days as they need to submit electronic paperwork "again" to hopefully get the problem fixed...that is, my email liked to my Atto....only a BYD dealership can do this as they are also confirming you are the owner of the vehicle and that's the email address you want to use.  This electronic paperwork ultimately ends up in China where the BYD app server is located and those China-based server administrators are the ones who link your email to your vehicle.  China has me by the short hairs on this issue.  :tongue:   I expect my current problem is caused by some "typo" in previously submitted electronic paperwork like a typo in the email address, the VIN, etc.

Update on above "Being Able to Register with the BYD app" this info might come in handy for Seal, Atto, or Dolphin owners when trying to register their EV with the BYD app.   

A few hours ago just for giggles I tried to register by selecting UK vs Thailand as the country along with my email address.....and I was able to register.  I'm pretty sure I had tried this UK country selection before weeks ago and even that didn't work....but today it was working.   As US person I couldn't select US since the US is not one of the countries offered in the BYD app menu. 

Anyway, after being able to register I thought I was now home-free, but no car info was being displayed (just an empty/black main screen on the app) as it first required me to "Add My Car" to the app.  But when trying to add a car (i..e., my Atto) I could not because the app requires you to scan a QR that buried in the infotainment menus/screen and the app even tells you exactly where it's to be found...menu setting by menu setting to drill down to the QR code.  But it also says if the infotainment system does not have a menus/links to the QR code then you can not add the car. 

Well, my Atto infotainment system did not have the menu settings/QR code needed.  I even tried scanning the VIN QR code which is not the QR code the app is looking for....if scanning the VIN QR code under the front window shield the app just responds with "Expired QR Code."  Now it probably not expired, it just not the particular/right QR code that the app requires.

So, I drop by my BYD dealership to say, "Hey I was finally able to register if I used UK country code but can't add my car to the app...can't find the QR code the app needs to add the car to the app."  I now have 3 dealership reps helping me out....two of them speak fair English.  But they too soon find out the QR code didn't exist in the infotainment system nor the particular menu links to reach the mystery QR code.  One of the reps call up the "expert"....I think a Rever Automotive rep here in Bangkok...Rever Automotive is kinda like the boss of all dealerships in Thailand and that expert could also speak English.

He said they had found where they had made a typo in earlier paperwork regarding my email address and had resubmitted paperwork today to get it corrected but it would probably take 7 to 14 days for BYD China "in China" to make the update on its app server.

He also said each country uses a different method to add a car to the BYD app.  UK uses the QR code in the infotainment system approach, but for Thailand apparently it uses an email code/confirmation approach.  Summary: different countries will use different approaches in allowing the app to work....and the infotainment OTA software is a "little different" for each country a BYD is sold in.

I also deleted/de-activated my BYD registration under the UK country code since it was not going to work for me and possibly prevent it from conflicting with registration via Thailand country code (assuming correction paperwork heading upstream to China allows me to registered under the Thailand country code over the next 7-14 days).

So, when registering with the BYD app only use the Thailand code during the registration process....if you can't register under Thailand then head to your dealership to have it resolved, because only your dealership can resolve the problem by linking "your" email address to "your" BYD vehicle via electronic paperwork they transmit to HQ China.   

Just FYI....just my experience so far with the BYD app.

Edited by Pib

17 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I just had my car back from being wrapped, he's done an excellent job.  A cautionary note, when he was wrapping the back bumper, it removed some paint from the bumper, a piece fell off, fortunately it's inside where the boot closes.  I would say it's now very wise, to at the very least, wrap your bumpers front & rear with PPF if not wrapping the full car. 

The wrap was 32,000 baht (I got a 2,000 baht discount from 34,000, Rolling Wrap Chiang Rai).  The Wheels were 28,600 baht from B-Quik, original tyres and I still have the old wheels.

Window film is 3M 40% cut at 12,000 baht, no film on the panoramic roof. Black badges from Lazada, less is more, so some badges in the bin.

IMG_9918.png

IMG_9919.png

IMG_9921.png

IMG_9923.png

IMG_9925.png

IMG_9927.png

IMG_9929.png

I think your wrap and wheels look great. Make your car quite unique.

Why does the BYD badge on the back appear to be well off centre?

No go faster stripes but I see the boy racer in you couldn’t resist retaining the 3.8S.

Re. your comment about having the bumpers wrapped: Do you believe the paint is not up to standard; too thin? I remember reading or seeing an early review by some guy who had been a car sprayer and he was very impressed with the quality of the Seal’s paint job, although he was not pleased about the lack of a clear coat (whatever that is) inside the frunk.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Why does the BYD badge on the back appear to be well off centre?

No go faster stripes but I see the boy racer in you couldn’t resist retaining the 3.8S.

Re. your comment about having the bumpers wrapped: Do you believe the paint is not up to standard; too thin? I remember reading or seeing an early review by some guy who had been a car sprayer and he was very impressed with the quality of the Seal’s paint job, although he was not pleased about the lack of a clear coat (whatever that is) inside the frunk.

I just measured the BYD badge at the back, it's exactly 52cm to each side of the boot lid so I think it's just the angle of the camera shot.

I don't see the point in having BYD on the boot lid twice, albeit one with the word Seal, it was a toss up whether to leave the AWD or the 3.8S, the boy-racer in me won.  I was considering removing the big BYD badge as well, but felt it would look wrong.  I did contemplate leaving off the 3.8S badge too and thus making it into a proper Q car, but vanity won.

I don't think the paint on the bumpers properly adheres to the bumpers, Rolling Wrap in repositioning the wrap pulled a whole chunk of paint off, it's clearly not binding with the bumper and probably too thin.  I think it's only going to get worse.  If you lose some in the visible area then you will even see it through a wrap.  The best time to wrap a car is before you get any stone chips.  I think a lot of Seal owners are going to have to have their bumpers resprayed at some point, I hope I'm wrong but I suspect I'm not.  The guy also said that Tesla's are exactly the same.

I have long thought the Thai view on accessorizing their cars, is the more bits the better and if someone makes it, it must be good.  I'm a "less is more" kind of guy.  I hate the plastichrome things they put behind door handles or on fuel filler flaps or round their head/tail lights.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

The colour is not for everyone.  It invokes strong views one way or the other.  I can tell you it turns heads!

I am sure girls will love it, I don't think many guys could comfortably choose any shade of pink. 

It's a colour Porsche introduced with the Taycan and it's their slowest selling colour.  I have always loved this colour.

I particularly wanted grey wheels as it complements pink, I would have preferred a lighter shade of grey but the Seal has an unusual wheel size and there aren't that many choices.  But overall I'm happy, the tyres need blacking as they were as they came from the changeover at B-Quik.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I just measured the BYD badge at the back, it's exactly 52cm to each side of the boot lid so I think it's just the angle of the camera shot.

I don't see the point in having BYD on the boot lid twice, albeit one with the word Seal, it was a toss up whether to leave the AWD or the 3.8S, the boy-racer in me won.  I was considering removing the big BYD badge as well, but felt it would look wrong.  I did contemplate leaving off the 3.8S badge too and thus making it into a proper Q car, but vanity won.

I don't think the paint on the bumpers properly adheres to the bumpers, Rolling Wrap in repositioning the wrap pulled a whole chunk of paint off, it's clearly not binding with the bumper and probably too thin.  I think it's only going to get worse.  If you lose some in the visible area then you will even see it through a wrap.  The best time to wrap a car is before you get any stone chips.  I think a lot of Seal owners are going to have to have their bumpers resprayed at some point, I hope I'm wrong but I suspect I'm not.  The guy also said that Tesla's are exactly the same.

I have long thought the Thai view on accessorizing their cars, is the more bits the better and if someone makes it, it must be good.  I'm a "less is more" kind of guy.  I hate the plastichrome things they put behind door handles or on fuel filler flaps or round their head/tail lights.

It looks great, I want to de-chrome ( BYD badges and wheels ) too at some stage but now will probably wrap, at least just the front , before going into that.

The badges I bought look great for the front but are too shallow for the rear, did you buy 2 different types ?

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

It looks great, I want to de-chrome ( BYD badges and wheels ) too at some stage but now will probably wrap, at least just the front , before going into that.

The badges I bought look great for the front but are too shallow for the rear, did you buy 2 different types ?

No, only the one type, the rear is slightly shallow but it's not noticeable unless you know it's there.

On 11/14/2023 at 7:25 AM, macahoom said:

The lingering question remains: do I need to use the app each time I charge? I guess not. I’ll maybe try later today.

No plug the charger in your car and it will work!

IMG_20231114_065443.thumb.jpg.d7e007f04359eb70c85145271f050988.jpg.

On 12/6/2023 at 10:39 AM, macahoom said:

Based on my research, mostly on American forums, I have come to the conclusion that none of them are worth doing and that, as JB says, a good wax every six months is a better idea.

That's why they put a business card in my car with a date 6 months later!

6 hours ago, Breizh29 said:

In the case of ABB charger, if you are using the free vending option then you just plug the charger in your car and charging starts.

If not using this option, for the reason that anyone can charge their car from your charger, then I believe you need to use the RFID card or start charging from the app.

I live on a steep hill and when I leave the house with the battery at 100% and drive down the hill, my regen still works. This surprises me as there is nowhere for the regenerated energy to be stored when the battery is at 100%.

An EV’s battery management system prevents the battery charger from exceeding 100%. It stands to reason that it would prevent regen from exceeding 100% too.

In every other EV I’ve driven or read about, regen is not available when the SOC is 100%, as you would expect.

Anyone know what’s going on with the Seal?

On 1/13/2024 at 3:59 PM, JBChiangRai said:

I just had my car back from being wrapped, he's done an excellent job.  A cautionary note, when he was wrapping the back bumper, it removed some paint from the bumper, a piece fell off, fortunately it's inside where the boot closes.  I would say it's now very wise, to at the very least, wrap your bumpers front & rear with PPF if not wrapping the full car. 

The wrap was 32,000 baht (I got a 2,000 baht discount from 34,000, Rolling Wrap Chiang Rai).  The Wheels were 28,600 baht from B-Quik, original tyres and I still have the old wheels.

Window film is 3M 40% cut at 12,000 baht, no film on the panoramic roof. Black badges from Lazada, less is more, so some badges in the bin.

IMG_9918.png

IMG_9919.png

IMG_9921.png

IMG_9923.png

IMG_9925.png

IMG_9927.png

IMG_9929.png

Looks fantastic and presumably any damage they would be able to wrap just that panel. 

I was looking at ฿63,000 for PPF with a 4 year warranty.

There doesn't seem any way to match the paint of my white Seal. 

1 minute ago, macahoom said:

I live on a steep hill and when I leave the house with the battery at 100% and drive down the hill, my regen still works. This surprises me as there is nowhere for the regenerated energy to be stored when the battery is at 100%.

An EV’s battery management system prevents the battery charger from exceeding 100%. It stands to reason that it would prevent regen from exceeding 100% too.

In every other EV I’ve driven or read about, regen is not available when the SOC is 100%, as you would expect.

Anyone know what’s going on with the Seal?

My guess is they are using the buffer at the top of the battery.

1 minute ago, Bandersnatch said:

Looks fantastic and presumably any damage they would be able to wrap just that panel. 

I was looking at ฿63,000 for PPF with a 4 year warranty.

There doesn't seem any way to match the paint of my white Seal. 

A car painter can sample the paint with a hand held device that tells them how to mix it, but I suspect the database has yet to be updated with the Seal paint colours.

Any wrap will protect the paint to some extent, if you are installing PPF, you might like to consider whether you want plain or self-healing? and clear or matt?

• Thumbs Up 1

So, I added DC charging stations layer to Google Maps:

IMG_2645.thumb.jpeg.f8e6ff75eba93deb1a9fa346a11c0873.jpeg

Then choose a location, ideal if you are travelling somewhere and want to know the charging options near your final destination.

All the chargers show, including PEA Authority chargers, sadly missing on the native BYD sat nav .

IMG_2646.thumb.jpeg.93f67d5a4420a7b2056ac1133be0e014.jpeg

Looks like originally designed by a MG owner as MG showrooms show and BYD showrooms do not but the ReverSharger charges are there so it’s all good .

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/10/2024 at 6:16 PM, Bandersnatch said:

Was at the dealer today to pickup my white plates  - asked about the plastic and the service guy said yes front and back pieces are plastic. 

Next stop was PPF shop

฿28,000 - front half of the car not glass roof

฿38,000 - front half of the car not glass roof

Thinking I will go for the 190 micron 4yr  warranty whole car

thanks for the detailed information!

have you asked the workshop after how many years the PPF needs to be replaced?

Edited by motdaeng

17 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

thanks for the detailed information!

have you asked the workshop after how many years the PPF needs to be replaced?

This the quotation I got

฿28,000 - front half of the car not glasss roof

฿38,000 - front half of the car not glasss roof

They didn’t say when it needed to be replaced, just “up to you”

the cheapest option would be PPF on the plastic nose and rear sections, but I haven’t found a company that offers that.

still not sure what route to take yet

• Thanks 1