BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

10 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have noticed that after charging to 100% the range drops about 3 or 4 km immediately ( 20 seconds or so ) after starting for the first time.

That's Surface Charge (i.e., elevated voltage) that has little capacity...burns off fast.  Typical for all batteries after they have been fully charged.  My Atto does the same thing which has a NEDC rating of 480Km.  But after fully charging it routinely displays 493-495Km....and one time 503Km....but just like your Seal the first 5 to 10Km burns off in way less than that....then the charge remaining/Km range become more realistic. 

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2024 at 10:02 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

The criteria used for handing out the OTA updates seems a bit of a mystery and judging from FB posts on Atto’s and Seal’s we are not alone.

I was an early adopter of the OTA but had received my Seal 2 weeks after and 1 month after a couple of posters on this thread, both received their OTA a week ( two weeks ? ) after me.

I downgraded a few days ago to side load some apps, a few minutes after the downgrade was complete the OTA started to download ( just to clarify as some might have missed it, but the OTA downloads automatically with a red dot notification on the bell icon on top centre of screen, once download completes then the red dot notification moves to the car icon on bottom right of screen for you to install ), so i got mine very early …. twice !!

Have you not got your OTA notification @kevp ??

I'm happy to report that I finally received the OTA update notification yesterday. I picked up my car on the 6th of December. @JBChiangRai any luck with your update, or did you already get it before?

17 minutes ago, kevp said:

I'm happy to report that I finally received the OTA update notification yesterday. I picked up my car on the 6th of December. @JBChiangRai any luck with your update, or did you already get it before?

I am not sure which version I am on, but it does spell Torque correctly.

• Love It 1

Just for comparison, my Atto total kms from new: 6755

Consumption: 12.6KwH/100Km. 

Regarding Average Speed I reset it periodically on certain long trips so it no longer reflects the average speed since birth.  But before I reset it, it was reading in the low 30's.  I find the Average Speed indication pretty much useless in determining  fuel efficiency since that average includes every moment you are actually moving on the road "and also idling time I think"....even the idling in your carport trying to figure out the infotainment settings, etc.   

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, mistral53 said:

OTA 1.1 has arrived - has anybody already installed it?

The Changan Deepal is on display in a shopping mall near us - sat in it and played a little with the infotainment, wow......just wow! BYD needs to get their act together to keep up with this offering. Charging has all the functions like limiting power, programming charge time, max charge etc. 360 cameras have recording function, and the navigation looks like something from Google maps.........overall, nicely built cars. Less battery capacity, no 4WD, lesser suspension tech compared to Seal, but on par with the Atto 3. Frameless doors might not be to everybody's liking. Very attractive price, good competition, keeps everybody on their toes and will definitely eat into BYD sales.

Yea I did yesterday, I think we are late to the party though. It's the one with the BYD App Store and Browser, which others have had weeks ago.

19 hours ago, Pib said:

Just for comparison, my Atto total kms from new: 6755

Consumption: 12.6KwH/100Km. 

Regarding Average Speed I reset it periodically on certain long trips so it no longer reflects the average speed since birth.  But before I reset it, it was reading in the low 30's.  I find the Average Speed indication pretty much useless in determining  fuel efficiency since that average includes every moment you are actually moving on the road "and also idling time I think"....even the idling in your carport trying to figure out the infotainment settings, etc.   

Regarding the part I bolded above, I did some testing this morning and it "does" include idling time.....just anytime your vehicle is on....you started the car."    Like maybe using the app to start the A/C X-amount of minutes before you get to the car, setting in your driveway playing with the infotainment system, etc.

But it does "not" include charging time if you have not started your vehicle....like car is off and you plug it into a wall charger,  DC Fast Charger, etc.   But turn the car on while charging and you have started the Driving Time clock although you are not really driving....but just parked/idling.  

• Thanks 1

Yesterday, I got a (red dot) notification that a new OTA update was available for my Seal.

I just updated it; took only two or three minutes.

There was no clear explanation what exactly it's all about. Something to do with "voice".

Anyone know?

I haven't noticed any obvious difference.

Probably an update to the Voice commands app....kinda like an update to "one" of the apps in the infotainment system.  Not an entire update of your system that would take maybe around an hour to complete.   For my Atto I got one of those notices a few months ago regarding an update for the Voice Commands app....it was only a couple of megabytes in size update....didn't take but a minute or two to update.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Picked up my English language manual from the dealership today.

Also got my white plates a couple of days ago.

Phuket now has two BYD dealerships.

So now you know how it drive it Mac.......😉

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, macahoom said:

Picked up my English language manual from the dealership today.

Also got my white plates a couple of days ago.

Phuket now has two BYD dealerships.

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

So now you know how it drive it Mac.......😉

I’ve been driving my Haval for over a year and over 30,000 kms without an owners manual. I guess I have more than 1 brain cell. I merely twist the knob in my console to D to go forward and to R to go backwards. Chinese cars are so damn easy to drive that even Thais can probably manage.

• Thumbs Up 1

I finally got around to loading some apps on my Seal.  Netflix now works, Youtube, Yutube music, google maps, GBox (google play emulator) Aurora App store and another (App Manager I think), these latter 2 allow you to install new direct from them over the internet and don't need any special password.

On another matter, the SD Card is fine with the BYD camera although sometime it doesn't start, it might be a faulty SD Card, also if you load music on it in the Music folder, it doesn't behave like the USB slot, it's not reliable and won't play a lot of the music.

Is it possible to see where the car is on the BYD App? With my daughter's MG4 I can see exactly where the car is and I find it reassuring.  I don't call her if it's Payap University and I can see she will arrive in Chiang Rai in about 45 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I finally got around to loading some apps on my Seal.  Netflix now works, Youtube, Yutube music, google maps, GBox (google play emulator) Aurora App store and another (App Manager I think), these latter 2 allow you to install new direct from them over the internet and don't need any special password.

On another matter, the SD Card is fine with the BYD camera although sometime it doesn't start, it might be a faulty SD Card, also if you load music on it in the Music folder, it doesn't behave like the USB slot, it's not reliable and won't play a lot of the music.

Is it possible to see where the car is on the BYD App? With my daughter's MG4 I can see exactly where the car is and I find it reassuring.  I don't call her if it's Payap University and I can see she will arrive in Chiang Rai in about 45 minutes.

Click on Services, opens up a map of SEA with the car location ( you have to zoom in forever !).

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thanks 1

As usual with any new car nowadays there’s always someone trying to create a new accessory, often unnecessary.

Here’s one I would file in the same folder as the, rear spoiler, kick sensor, soft close function for frunk, anti scratch inside film and auto sunshade for glass roof.

On 2/8/2024 at 5:05 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Click on Services, opens up a map of SEA with the car location ( you have to zoom in forever !).

My daughter borrowed my car this morning and so I checked, the map on the app is where your phone is, I don't think there is a way to tell where your car actually is.

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

As usual with any new car nowadays there’s always someone trying to create a new accessory, often unnecessary.

Here’s one I would file in the same folder as the, rear spoiler, kick sensor, soft close function for frunk, anti scratch inside film and auto sunshade for glass roof.

fbsaver.mov 4.49 MB · 1 download  

You do have to look at this from the Thai perspective, if someone makes an accessory then it must be good!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

My daughter borrowed my car this morning and so I checked, the map on the app is where your phone is, I don't think there is a way to tell where your car actually is.

I did wonder if this was the case, see my earlier post !

Just checked and you are right, it shows where the phone is !, what use is that ??

Just now, Andrew Dwyer said:

I did wonder if this was the case, see my earlier post !

Just checked and you are right, it shows where the phone is !, what use is that ??

Maybe useful if you have advanced Alzheimers?

• Thumbs Up 1

I took a friend’s car to my car painter today and out of interest. I asked him how much to repaint the entire BYD Seal in a new colour and he quoted ฿20,000, which is 12,000 less than I paid to wrap it.

This guy’s work is superb, I’ve been using him for years and he’s every as good as the main dealerships, often better.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I took a friend’s car to my car painter today and out of interest. I asked him how much to repaint the entire BYD Seal in a new colour and he quoted ฿20,000, which is 12,000 less than I paid to wrap it.

This guy’s work is superb, I’ve been using him for years and he’s every as good as the main dealerships, often better.

Good to know, thanks for that. I think that will be my plan.

Maybe BYD will come up with a fix for repairing damage to the small plastic areas, because the rest of the car seems fine.