Extension of visa exempt, and, TM 30?

I am really confused about this. More than a few people write that TM 30 is one of the requirements for getting a 30-day extension to the visa exempt. I had read about that during my last trip too. But, on my last time at Lak Si, May of this year, I wasn't asked this document. I just had to show the 3 forms (used to be only 1 form) plus a copy each of all stamped pages of my passport plus a photo and the fee.

Anyone knows about the current situation for sure? So, I can try to get it and have it with me just in case. One question though : I will have stayed at 2 different places before going to Lak Si. Is it okay if I get the TM 30 from either one, or does it have to be from the first (or the last) place? 

I got the impression that they require TM 30 from people who made a land entry to Thailand, not an air one. 

Any idea, anyone? Cheers. 

6 minutes ago, Caldera said:

It's always a good idea to take along proof of TM30 notification, as you can never be sure that they won't ask.

The "current situation" can change from one day to the next, and sometimes you won't even get past the initial document check for obtaining your queue card if you can't show it.

Will a hotel give a proof of a TM30 to a guest ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

~

Yes, every Hotel/guesthouse is required by Thai law to notify local Immigration that a foreigner is staying at their premises.

That's why they ask for your passport, so that they can take over the required data and file that required TM-30 notification on-line. 

And on simple request the Hotel/guesthouse will provide you with a copy of that TM-30 notification which they made.

= = =

Note that it is always a good idea to also take the small business-card which most Hotels have, that contains their address and contact-info, and keep that card in your wallet. Can be handy when the taxi-driver doesn't speak english or doesn't know the Hotel/guesthouse you want to return.  And of course in this case, when there would be a problem with the TM-30 notification, the Imm Office would be able to contact the Hotel/guesthouse.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, observer90210 said:

They usually report their guests online. If you ask them nicely, they should be willing and able to provide you with a screenshot of their online notification, which would be acceptable proof (make sure to print it though, immigration loves paper).

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

~

Yes, every Hotel/guesthouse is required by Thai law to notify local Immigration that a foreigner is staying at their premises.

That's why they ask for your passport, so that they can take over the required data and file that required TM-30 notification on-line. 

And on simple request the Hotel/guesthouse will provide you with a copy of that TM-30 notification which they made.

= = =

Note that it is always a good idea to also take the small business-card which most Hotels have, that contains their address and contact-info, and keep that card in your wallet. Can be handy when the taxi-driver doesn't speak english or doesn't know the Hotel/guesthouse you want to return.  And of course in this case, when there would be a problem with the TM-30 notification, the Imm Office would be able to contact the Hotel/guesthouse.

good points  - thank you for your recommendations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

They usually report their guests online. If you ask them nicely, they should be willing and able to provide you with a screenshot of their online notification, which would be acceptable proof (make sure to print it though, immigration loves paper).

Very true as speaking nicely to people can lead to amazing mileage. Thanks for your comment.

• Like 1

It is fascinating that immigration officials ask applicants for an extension of stay for a copy of the TM.30 notification made by the hotel where they are staying instead of looking it up on their own computer. Is it because they have not been trained to do this database search?

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Maestro said:

It is fascinating that immigration officials ask applicants for an extension of stay for a copy of the TM.30 notification made by the hotel where they are staying instead of looking it up on their own computer. Is it because they have not been trained to do this database search?

I think there are at least two reasons:

Firstly, the document checkers don't have a computer, so they'd need to let people through without knowing if a TM30 notification has been filed for them in the right area.

Secondly, there's probably a high rate of sloppy online submissions by hotels. If they get the name or the passport number slightly wrong, a successful look-up would be doubtful.

If they had wanted to implement this properly, hotels would scan the passport's machine-readable lines to ensure accurate data. Funnily enough, that's how it's being done in Cambodia. 

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

In addition to reasons given by Caldera, we should not assume that the systems used by Immigration are any better designed than the public facing websites we try to use. Frankly, if they can ask applicants to show proof rather than hope their system is working, I kind of sympathise.