It's ok to be bored just not everyday

bignok

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

What happened to this post, seems it's attracted all the haters, the nasties. 🤔

Sadly, a lot of the topics seem to head that way eventually.

8 hours ago, Keeps said:

Stay permanently stoned then?

Well, that's the risk one takes if they don't address the issue.

Doing weed daily and then gravitating towards harder drugs.

Which may very well increase in the future.

So it might be better to find ways to cope with the problem rather than relying on drugs.

4 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Well, that's the risk one takes if they don't address the issue.

Doing weed daily and then gravitating towards harder drugs.

Which may very well increase in the future.

So it might be better to find ways to cope with the problem rather than relying on drugs.

It was said rather tongue in cheek. I'm certainly not condoning it. Each to their own though. I'm not personally a believer that smoking weed leads to harder drugs in the vast majority of people. Some people, yes, but a minority. I smoked weed in my younger years, didn't lead to anything else and don't touch the stuff now despite the easy access that Thailand allows. 

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I find meditation unbearably boring, so I didn't last very long doing it.

Recommending meditation to someone who is already bored is not the best idea. 

What's going on with myself is always a little interesting to me; simply paying attention to internal states, both physical and mental.

If your internal states are boring, and you find that "unbearable", that's on you. It's like complaining that the weights at the gym are heavy.

I don't recommend that most people meditate. They want a chill pill, not insight. And I hope they can cut to the chase and get one that they like. Meditation is not - and never was- about making you feel good.

To dispassionately observe boredom is to watch it evaporate. That may make you feel better, it may not. Either you're interested in that process or you're not. It's all good.

Edited by Prubangboy

22 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

If your internal states are boring, and you find that "unbearable",

No, I think people need to explore their internal states, but I don't do it through "meditation", just self-reflection.

Meditation can lead to feeling "states of bliss", but then that's just like taking a drug, which actually becomes a distraction. I've known people who meditate for this reason. 

22 hours ago, Keeps said:

It was said rather tongue in cheek. I'm certainly not condoning it. Each to their own though. I'm not personally a believer that smoking weed leads to harder drugs in the vast majority of people. Some people, yes, but a minority. I smoked weed in my younger years, didn't lead to anything else and don't touch the stuff now despite the easy access that Thailand allows. 

Regarding boredom, there is"

1 - travel. but some people maybe can't afford it?

2 - reading, stimulating your mind through learning. but many people are intellectually lazy, don't like to learn

3 - sports, but as a culture we stop playing sports at a certain age

4 - music, but some people maybe are not capable of appreciating art

5 - films, but I've seen people on here saying that all films are boring.

6 - hobbies, but some people are too lazy to pick up a hobby

So there are options to fight off boredom, but the less they apply to you, maybe the more you need to lean on drugs. If you can't appreciate films or music or sports or anything, then you will be more likely to be a drug user. I don't need drugs. I got plenty to keep myself occupied. I find drugs silly, actually. There's a lot of interesting stuff to do. 

Edited by save the frogs

11 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Regarding boredom, there is"

1 - travel. but some people maybe can't afford it?

2 - reading, stimulating your mind through learning. but many people are intellectually lazy, don't like to learn

3 - sports, but as a culture we stop playing sports at a certain age

4 - music, but some people maybe are not capable of appreciating art

5 - films, but I've seen people on here saying that all films are boring.

6 - hobbies, but some people are too lazy to pick up a hobby

So there are options to fight off boredom, but the less they apply to you, maybe the more you need to lean on drugs. If you can't appreciate films or music or sports or anything, then you will be more likely to be a drug user. I don't need drugs. I got plenty to keep myself occupied. I find drugs silly, actually. There's a lot of interesting stuff to do. 

I do not appreciate you quoting my post to get on your soapbox quite frankly. I am never bored. I partake in all points you raise above 1-6. I haven't smoked a joint in over 35 years and never touched any other drugs. Your final paragraph is poorly worded. You should have been more general in your target rather than using the word "you" 4 times. Perhaps the word "people" may have been a bit more appropriate? You might want to give this some thought prior to your next patronising post.

5 minutes ago, Keeps said:

I do not appreciate you quoting my post to get on your soapbox quite frankly. I am never bored. I partake in all points you raise above 1-6. I haven't smoked a joint in over 35 years and never touched any other drugs. Your final paragraph is poorly worded. You should have been more general in your target rather than using the word "you" 4 times. Perhaps the word "people" may have been a bit more appropriate? You might want to give this some thought prior to your next patronising post.

The "you" wasn't referring to you personally, just generalizations.

Sorry, it was badly worded. 

I wasn't trying to be patronising.

The topic is boredom, and drugs inevitably came up in the topic and seems to be a boredom cure-all for many people, and I explained why I think drugs are over-rated. 

Just now, save the frogs said:

The "you" wasn't referring to you personally, just generalizations.

Sorry, it was badly worded. 

I wasn't trying to be patronising.

The topic is boredom, and drugs inevitably came up in the topic and seems to be a boredom cure-all for many people, and I explained why I think drugs are over-rated. 

Noted, accepted and the clarification appreciated. Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

The boredom you are experiencing is just a minor prelude of what is to come.  The crescendo will continue building and building until you figure it out.

The voice in your head will continue with each passing year begging you for satisfaction. Your objective is to nourish this presence, if you know how.  But probably you will continue poisoning it. You will probably try  the normal laundry list of wrong solutions to quiet the lunatic's ramblings.  And each year that passes the belligerance will grow.

What do your reflections show you?

On 11/2/2023 at 10:00 PM, bignok said:

Boredom is time for thinking. Don't worry. Think creatively. What amazing thing can I do in the next 12 months.

What? How can someone be bored thinking creatively about amazing things?  

So I am thinking, the premise of the entire thread is wrong. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Topic closed pending moderation.

/Closed.

Topic reopened.

A multitude of baiting troll posts, as well as personal attacks (flames) have been removed as they contravene our Community Standards... even here in The Pub.

Behaviour such as this will not be tolerated on our Forum.

Edited by Jai Dee
  • Thumbs Up 1