Siem Reap in February--what to expect?

heybruce

I'm considering a quick visit to Siem Reap in February.  I was there in 2001 and loved it, but of course things have changed (probably more than two paved streets now). 

Is February a big tourist month?

Is Angkor What? still there?

Any useful information is appreciated.

23 hours ago, Yagoda said:

The roads are paved now (most of them), Angkor is improved (beautified) and the tourists are back. I love Siem, I'll be moving back after Christmas.

Thanks.  How many tourists?  In 2001 Angkor Wat got moderately crowded but the other sites only got a little attention.

5 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Expect lots of pollution from crop burning.

In Siem Reap ?

I have never experienced any noticeable pollution in 30+ visits, at various times of the year. 

February should be OK; it starts to get warmer and more humid in March -usually a degree or so higher than neighbouring Surin and Buriram provinces. 

The last time I was there in August 2022 it was obvious that the Covid recovery was taking time - it was a pleasure nor having hoards around when visiting Angkor Wat. 

Just go for it - any possible pollution can be mitigated by glasses of Angkor beer @ 50c in and around Pub Street.  23 years is a long gap, things will have changed.

• Thumbs Up 2

I avoided staying there for years but some friends wanted to go for the eqinox sunrise at Angkor.

We stayed on Taphul Road. I couldn't believe it was Cambodia. Street in perfect condition, no dogs, no garbage left out for days, no karaoke. Lots of hotels at different prices and good places to eat.

We didn't go anywhere near Pub Street.

If flying in the ground transportation is a bit of a problem. A van is USD 38 and a seat in a 12 seater is USD 8. Try to bring ten dollar notes. They seem to have a big stack of unwanted US dollars to hand out.

If going to Mount Kulen avoid the crowded weekend

The haze is nothing compared to Thailand

Edited by my friend I
Auto correct has no idea

22 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Thanks.  How many tourists?  In 2001 Angkor Wat got moderately crowded but the other sites only got a little attention.

I was concerned about getting lost in the crowd at the sunrise. There were only a few hundred people.

A few tour groups showed up mid mornings. The biggest problem was tourists wanting to have their photos taken with my friends who were wearing traditional Khmer clothing.

The other sites had hardly anyone.

• Like 1

Hi,

Siem Reap has improved a lot. The government used the Covid lock down to pave most of the roads in town. There are even cycling lanes all the way to the Angkor park. February is a great time to visit. The weather should be perfect. And while it's still high season, there should be less tourists then December / January. Angkor What? bar is still there but under new ownership. It's not the same as what you may remember. Last but not least, Siem Reap has a new airport which just opened a few weeks ago. It's about 1 hour drive from town, so plan your trip well. As this is a very recent development, transport options into town are not optimal (yet). I found this article the most insightful to plan your trip. (I hope it's ok to share a link here.)   

Thanks to all.  I lived in Thailand for 12 years so I'm familiar with the smoke problems during the burning season.  I don't like it but can put up with it.  I'm also familiar with hoards of Chinese tourist, but I'm hoping economic issues in China will limit their numbers.

• Like 1

Went a year ago. Dead silent, but these days approaching normal. Given how heaving Chiang Mai is, expect crowds. Youtube has some good historical video's to help you pick out the key details

The boat ride thru houses on sticks tour is def touristy, but low key, cheery, broke touristy. They want more to go through a tiny patch of mangrove on a little boat. Crocodile novelty-eating was crazey-priced at $20 a head. Khao San Road has the best bargain croc (200 baht), had it twice in one year. 

Just below the party street, there's a greek restaurant across from a Mex restaurant. That's your dining corner. Lovely Indian nearby there too.

Do not express interest in the puppet show. Our driver unconvincingly claimed that he fronted for tickets on our imaginary say-so and that they were non-refundable. We laughed it off and bought him some soup.

On 11/6/2023 at 8:21 AM, heybruce said:

I dont know what the numbers are right now, Im still in Bangkok. When I was there in September, it wasnt crowded at all.

The whole place was empty during Covid. That was fab. Nothing beats having Bayon to yourself.

Could contain:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/6/2023 at 8:35 AM, Mike Lister said:

Expect lots of pollution from crop burning.

On 11/6/2023 at 8:33 AM, BKKKevin said:

February is the beginning of the burning season in that region so you might encounter high air pollution and haze filled days...

Far better than Thailand

I went to Siem Reap about six years ago and thought it was an absolutely lovely place, in fact a place I could well retire to if I had to/wanted to move on.

The people were polite, the streets were clean and Pub Street was full of restaurants rather than pubs and offered all sorts of cuisine styles.

I didn't find the prices high and overall it was a good experience – – I will add that I think it was in October when I went, and not February, but from what others have said on here, you should be fine. Good luck.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 3:44 PM, heybruce said:

I'm considering a quick visit to Siem Reap in February.  I was there in 2001 and loved it, but of course things have changed (probably more than two paved streets now). 

I always stay at the Garden Village Guesthouse and Pool bar, about 100m from Pub street.

rooms were around $10/night, great swimming pool with attached bar serving food and drinks 24/7.

Mix of young and old people staying there, dorm rooms for the backpackers.

Everyone very friendly and we all mixed well.

Could contain:

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I always stay at the Garden Village Guesthouse and Pool bar, about 100m from Pub street.

rooms were around $10/night, great swimming pool with attached bar serving food and drinks 24/7.

Mix of young and old people staying there, dorm rooms for the backpackers.

Everyone very friendly and we all mixed well.

Could contain:

Looks good, I'll look into it.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, BKKKevin said:

Could contain:

Thats a fire map, not a pollution map. 

Let me make it easy for you. Last February, I left my crib in Bangkok on a heavy smog day in the morning and a few hours later was enjoying blue skies in Siem Reap.

Having lived in Siem during Covid, I can assure you the air is far better there. Thats one of the reasons I am moving back.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Looks good, I'll look into it.  Thanks.

One of my fav hangouts.

Brit Man turned me on to that place a few years back and Im there a few days every week. Great place to chill and smoke some. See you there.

The best High Grade smokable vegetation can be obtained at Lunar Park Bar off Concrete Road. They even have Dabs

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Thats a fire map, not a pollution map. 

Let me make it easy for you. Last February, I left my crib in Bangkok on a heavy smog day in the morning and a few hours later was enjoying blue skies in Siem Reap.

Whoa!... I'm blown away by your scientific method... 

• 3 weeks later...

Rents are inexpensive. There have been very few foreigners around since the high season. That may continue due to long distance air fares. Some real bargains for long term stay, even one month in a hotel.

Local foods are about the same as Thailand but you get a much bigger serve.

Baguettes are 25 cents. Most baked goods are cheaper than Thailand.

Anything imported can be quite expensive but there is a lot available. You may need to take out a bank loan if you want butter on the baguette. Comes from France.

If you get the app transport is cheap in a pass app. Most tuktuks charge reasonable prices now.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...