Social Security Fund - nominated Hospital - inpatients charges

scorecard

My question is in relation to foreigners who have continued their SSF Injury and Sickness Benefits after retirement and now pay their 432Baht monthly member conttibution by bank transfer direct to the SSF. (Also called by the SSF 'Voluntary Insurance'.)

Coming soon I will start the same 'process'. I've been told to nominate a hospital and my understanding is that thee's two 'ctegories' of hospitals available:

1. Government hospitals.

2. Private hospitals which also provide services to SSF members. I will use this option.

I've called local government hospitals and the 3 local private hospitals which provide services to SSF members to ask what the room rate is for inpatients. The answers I've received are quite confusing.

I did earlier find a small mention of this via google search which said:

- At government hospitals and participating private hospitals which also provide services to SSF members the room rates differ quite a lot however there's a maximum fee for all hospitals (both categories just above) for this item of 700Baht per night including the normal hospital add ons, food and Dr. visit fee. Is this correct?

Can SSF members who have continued their membership as abovep lease share their knowledge / experiences re the hospital inpatients fees.

Any aligned comments / experiences you can share much appreciated, thanks.

PLEASE MEMBERS, I'M ABSOLUTELY NOT INTERESTED IN FURTHER DISCUSSION ABOUT THE SSF FUND OR OTHER OPTIONS.  THANK YOU.

Participating private hospitals typically only allow a certain amount of new registrants per year and are snapped up quickly.

Iam registered at Phayathai Sriracha, they allow 100 per year.

I stayed in a Deluxe VIP room (4 weeks).

SS paid 700.

I opted for no food (hospital food is rank.... if my missus could no cook and bring food for whatever reason I would order through Grab and a nurse would collect for me).

Total 4400 per day.

Of that my private insurance paid 3000

EDIT to add:... SS covered all expenses for my stay in ICU (8 weeks) inc two surgeries.

image.png.4f27fb300c148860cf4b772b0c44a86f.png

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@scorecard is there an on-line list of hospitals which provide SSF services?

Hi Crossy,

Sorry I can't give you a specific answer to your question.

The Chiang Mai office of SSF have asked me to nominate a hospital from this list:

•  1. Nakornping 2. Maharaj Chiangmai 3. Thep Punya 4. Rajavej 5. Lanna)

1. Nakornping is a giant government hospital, 2, and 3, I can't get clear answers gov't / private, 4. Rajavej and 5 Lanna are local smaller private hospitals. 

I've called 4 and 5 twice but I can't get clear answers. I wouldn't go near Lanna, I call, my call transferred several times and I get totally different answers to the question including 'farang cannot sleep here' and another lady said you have to pay a yearly inpatients fee of 21,000Baht in advance. My Thai son went to the hospital and asked for the room rate for foreigners with SSF member card. After speaking to many different people who gave very different / unaligned comments my son walked out with no answer. One lady said 'why doesn't the foreigner go back to his home country'. 

In fact I have nominated Rajavej hospital because they have a quite good reputation and they have an 'International Office' with 2 or 3 very pleasant staff who speak very advanced English, quite knowledgeble, good listeners.

This hospital is only about 3 km from my house, and they have a good quick response professional ambulance service. They seem to be unable to give me a clear answer re the inpatient room rate, there seems to be a number of 'if ,,,,' or 'if ####' then the room rate is xxxx.  I will go there next week and ask to sit with the international staff an try to create a document with various 'factors' that affect the room rate.

ADDED LATER: I just checked my old notes                and found at Rajavej, for private room, the

most expensive rate would be 1,700 per night,

including, Dr. visit, food, nursing fees. 

All of the above is of course in relation to private rooms. Rajavej also has 2 patient rooms at much reducced rates. I'll ask for more details next week. 

I can only suggest calling the local SSF office and asking if, in your area, there any participating private hospitals.

Crossy, I think you've mentioned you're located in Bkk. Can I suggest call the SSF Hotline 1506. They have an English language option, but sometimes there's not an English speaking officer avalable. If that happens call back until you do get an English speaker because they all seem to be SSF lawyers, pleasant discussion, very advanced English and always very clear answers. Even if you're not located in Bkk I think it would still be worth trying the 1506 national Hotline. 

Good luck.

Please see 'ADDED LATER' note in the middle of the above post.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

a maximum fee for all hospitals (both categories just above) for this item of 700Baht per night including the normal hospital add ons, food and Dr. visit fee. Is this correct?

I just paid Bht 800 per night at Phitsanulok University Government Hospital including 'food'. Room was 4 beds.

Doctors, nursing, meds etc etc all extra of course.

Edited by KannikaP

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

This hospital is only about 3 km from my house, and they have a good quick response professional ambulance service. They seem to be unable to give me a clear answer re the inpatient room rate, there seems to be a number of 'if ,,,,' or 'if ####' then the room rate is xxxx.  I will go there next week and ask to sit with the international staff an try to create a document with various 'factors' that affect the room rate.

Yeah the room rates are not clear.

https://www.cmhy.city/en/place/11209-Private-Room-Reservation-Center-Maharaj-Hospital

image.png.96cd2b8206ba1eab6120d48123e9c50c.png

2 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Thanks for the correction.

Ive asked for my post to be removed.

Edited by Ralf001