New Pup, Is This A Lab X Pit Bull?

We've been looking for a pup for sometime, last night my wife saw a notice on the Internet from someone who had a Labrador cross pup that needed adoption immediately.

The owner was distressed as his landlord had demanded he get rid of the dog that day. He said the pup is a Labrador cross. They took the dog to the vet and there was a poster with various breeds on the wall, he pointed to a dog that looked like a Pit Bull and said “the father is like this”.

My wife brought the pup home, she’s a beautiful tan color. Looking at pics on the Internet she looks very much like some of the pit bull pups, although the owner swears the mother is a Labrador.

She is 50 days old and weighs 2kgs,

Below are some pics, I'd be interested in hearing ppl's opinions of what type she is.

post-25665-1184655557_thumb.jpg

post-25665-1184655584_thumb.jpg

We've been looking for a pup for sometime, last night my wife saw a notice on the Internet from someone who had a Labrador cross pup that needed adoption immediately.

OMG I know nothing about dog breeds but that is the cutest puppy!!! :o Congratulations on your new puppy!

Canis familiaris soi somnus

[/quote}

Neahhh, don't think so. More a Canis familiaris combi variatis :o

Smithson, wish you lots of fun and love with your most cuty new comer.

Nienke

Maybe. The face is a little reminiscent of a pit bull pup. I wouldn't worry though, if she's a mix, that's quite a good mix, as the lab part will possibly calm down any pit bull intincts! :o:D

She looks a total sweetheart. Enjoy your new pup, but for her safety & your enjoyment, train her well - especially if she's going to be big. People nervous of dogs tend to be more scared of big or stocky breeds, and a well trained dog will be less of a worry for you. Good luck and enjoy the new addition to your family. :D

Edited by November Rain

We were told she was 50 days old, but I think that might be wrong. She doesn't each much solid food, but loves the puppy formula we bought. She sleep about 90% of the time, then wakes up, eats, runs around for 10 min and goes straight back to sleep,

Any guesses for her age?

We were told she was 50 days old, but I think that might be wrong. She doesn't each much solid food, but loves the puppy formula we bought. She sleep about 90% of the time, then wakes up, eats, runs around for 10 min and goes straight back to sleep,

Any guesses for her age?

How about her teeth. Does she has all her puppy teeth already? Did they just come through or are they, say 'fully grown' puppy teeth?

Yesterday, when I saw the pic's I already had a questioning feeling about the age. But now you mention this it is very possible she is not 8 weeks, but much younger. Maybe more 5 to 6 weeks of age or something.

Just give her the puppy formula, and slowly start soaking some grains of dryfood in it. So much soaked that it almost falls apart. Slowly increase the amount of kibble over the coming weeks until you give mainly kibble with just a little formual for the taste. If she is really this young, also be very carefull with vaccinating her. If vaccinated too early chances are that the vaccine interfere's with the maternal immunity, leaving the puppy unprotected against the infectious diseases.

Has she already had a deworm cure? If not, start with that.

Oh, and be aware with the arrival of the little lady, her education has started!

Nienke

Any guesses for her age?

How about her teeth. Does she has all her puppy teeth already? Did they just come through or are they, say 'fully grown' puppy teeth?

Yesterday, when I saw the pic's I already had a questioning feeling about the age. But now you mention this it is very possible she is not 8 weeks, but much younger. Maybe more 5 to 6 weeks of age or something.

Just give her the puppy formula, and slowly start soaking some grains of dryfood in it. So much soaked that it almost falls apart. Slowly increase the amount of kibble over the coming weeks until you give mainly kibble with just a little formual for the taste. If she is really this young, also be very carefull with vaccinating her. If vaccinated too early chances are that the vaccine interfere's with the maternal immunity, leaving the puppy unprotected against the infectious diseases.

Has she already had a deworm cure? If not, start with that.

Oh, and be aware with the arrival of the little lady, her education has started!

Nienke

She seems to have all her teeth, but they are still small. She likes to bite things so I think they may have just come through, we are feeding her from a bottle, which she likes, although she can drink from a dish.

She has been dewormed. I'm attaching some more pics, maybe some ppl can guess her age? Besides a puppy milk formula, we are feeding some pup canned food that we got from the vet. Someone also suggested raw chicken wings chopped up, as there is calcium in the bones, is this a good idea? Any other suggestions?

post-25665-1184746597_thumb.jpg

post-25665-1184746613_thumb.jpg

post-25665-1184746635_thumb.jpg

She has been dewormed. I'm attaching some more pics, maybe some ppl can guess her age? Besides a puppy milk formula, we are feeding some pup canned food that we got from the vet. Someone also suggested raw chicken wings chopped up, as there is calcium in the bones, is this a good idea? Any other suggestions?

Cute looking pup, cant say at this stage 100% but I its not a pitt bull : Have fun with your bundle of fur

Very cute puppy. A "pit bull" can be a mix of many different breeds- American Stafforshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, American Bulldog....amd a lot of breeds get confused with Pit Bulls- Bullmastiffs for example. So really having any of those breeds somewhere in your pup's lineage would technically make her part pit bull. don't see too much Labrador Retriever in there, but with some breeds its hard to tell until the dog gets a little older- I had an American Staffordshire Terrier that looked just like a Fox Terrier for about 5 months, then overnight (it seemed like) his head got wider and the jaw muscles developed.

Also difficult to tell from photos how old she is, the vet should have a pretty good idea. The advice about training is VERY important, especially as it looks like she will be pretty good sized. Puppies are supposed to stay with their litter and mother for at least 10-12 weeks for a reason- its where they get socialized, start to learn some limits on their behavior. We all spoil puppies rotten when we get them home, its natural. But they pick up habits that are hard to break later on- jumping on people, chewing everything in sight, etc. So she needs to learn who is in charge. That doesnt mean smacking the dog around- just taking her and putting her on her back and holding her there shows you are in charge- thats a submissive position for a dog. Anyway, a trainer can show you a lot more. Good luck, she looks like a great puppy!

Oh and the chicken bone thing. In the states you would never give a dog chicken bones- the story is it will cut up their insides. But dogs here eat them all the time, so maybe thats just an old wives tale.

The advice about training is VERY important, especially as it looks like she will be pretty good sized. Puppies are supposed to stay with their litter and mother for at least 10-12 weeks for a reason- its where they get socialized, start to learn some limits on their behavior. We all spoil puppies rotten when we get them home, its natural. But they pick up habits that are hard to break later on- jumping on people, chewing everything in sight, etc. So she needs to learn who is in charge. That doesnt mean smacking the dog around- just taking her and putting her on her back and holding her there shows you are in charge- thats a submissive position for a dog. Anyway, a trainer can show you a lot more. Good luck, she looks like a great puppy!

Oh and the chicken bone thing. In the states you would never give a dog chicken bones- the story is it will cut up their insides. But dogs here eat them all the time, so maybe thats just an old wives tale.

It is usually the lower rank that will pose itself voluntarily into a subordinate position in order to show its exceptance to the higher rank's position. It is not that the higher rank pushes the lower rank into an subordinate position, such as an alpha roll. Therefore, it is not advisable to push a dog onto its back with belly up. Especially when dealing with a dog that already is testing its boundaries.

There are many different ways to show your dominant rank in a non-confrontational way. Sure, when playing with or petting a puppy one can gently roll it on its side and then on its back while giving it a belly rub or continuing playing.

As for giving chicken bones: in the US and elsewhere there are thousands of people who give their dogs and cats chicken bones. But these bones are RAW. And raw meaty bones are an excellent food source for dogs and cats. After all both are carnivores, contrary to the believe of some that dogs are omnivores. Just a quick look at there teeth already tells they are not omnivores but carnivores.

Any bones that have been processed (except for the ones grinded into bone-meal) are absolute No-No's to give to the animals! Although, many street dogs in Thailand eat cooked bones there are no statistics available of how many dogs in fact do die/have died of it, as in many cases the cause of death is unknown. So, it is impossible to say that "Thai dogs' can or cannot eat cooked bones. Fact is, that many street dogs do die at a young age and eating cooked bones can be one possible cause. Knowing that cooked bones can be very dangerous, I rather play it safe and do not give or advice to give them to the animals. Better to be safe then sorry.

Nienke

Edited by Nienke

hey lovely puppy! as to what breeds would be in there, is very hard to tell as many dogs look about the same in very young age. pittbull i would say no, at least not much. at an age of about 4-5 months the features develop and nose gets longer or jaws wider etc.

for labradors, i don't know why they are always known as calm and lazy, i got one and he's one of the more energetic dogs here and also likes to make trouble more than some others, including my gsds. so that's not always the case! very intelligent though and highly trainable!

for chicken bones, never give them cooked, the risk is not worth it. you can give the softer joints and the meat of course but the bones are cooked hard to digest if at all and can block the stomach or if the dog eats very hasty it can even choke on them. the same goes with the harder and thicker legbones, don't give them even raw, sometimes they are not chewed properly and the sharp ends can cause damage inside your dogs body and all this especially with puppies who are not used to this kind of food yet. if i give cooked chicken legs i can see some dogs vomitting these bones the next day or even find them in their poop not digested. other dogs seem just to absorb them, but you never know and so it is better to stay on the safe side as it is easy to avoid!

i always start to give my puppies raw chicken necks as soon as they have teeth, first cut up in thin slices and then after a while the whole neck. they are absolutely crazy about that :o then after that you can give raw chickencarcasses which have only thin and small bones and are safe. there is also the neck still attached which is quite meaty as well, cut off the fat, it's too much. this is a good source of calcium and you will see your puppy thrive! you could also give calcium tablets in moderate amounts if no other calcium source available, even fed on puppy kibble the dogs need sometimes more calcium during teething and growing.

• 4 weeks later...

The owner was distressed as his landlord had demanded he get rid of the dog that day. He said the pup is a Labrador cross. They took the dog to the vet and there was a poster with various breeds on the wall, he pointed to a dog that looked like a Pit Bull and said "the father is like this".

My wife brought the pup home, she's a beautiful tan color. Looking at pics on the Internet she looks very much like some of the pit bull pups, although the owner swears the mother is a Labrador.

She is 50 days old and weighs 2kgs,

Below are some pics, I'd be interested in hearing ppl's opinions of what type she is.

Here is a picture of a Rot and Lab mix. Father Rot and Mother Yellow lab. Note the ear and the hip are the same as your pup and the color would come from the male rot dom. gene. This is foxy sometimes aka foxy the bear. She loves everybody and her fav. past time is sleeping in front of the screen door.

post-48093-1187061403_thumb.jpg