Mental illness in Pattaya

georgegeorgia

9 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Read an article on BKK post a few years ago about how mental health is over looked in Thailand, and I think the culture hinders people from publicly (to friends or family, even to a doctor) saying they need help. As for expats, I think we can be our own worse enemy, it is important to have interests apart from the bar and a beer. Exercise and contact with fellow expats is important so we do not fall into a rut that can lead to depression.

Interaction with other expats can be a source of depression.

• Haha 1

The mental illness you are witnessing is the rebellion of their soul due to allowing a toxic spirit to infect it.

Each person's essence is an immortal soul housed in a mortal body.  You can either nurture it and reap the fruit or poison it.  

Be sober minded and watchful.  Your adversary prowls around like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour.

4 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

The mental illness you are witnessing is the rebellion of their soul due to allowing a toxic spirit to infect it.

Each person's essence is an immortal soul housed in a mortal body.  You can either nurture it and reap the fruit or poison it.  

Be sober minded and watchful.  Your adversary prowls around like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour.

Sounds like lines from a movie

Your post was pretty funny. At first I thought you actually gave a sh$t about those people and then as I read on I realize you only really care about your safety and are wondering why they ain't locked up. That's just too much ! You made my day, bro :))

giphy.gif

Edited by MrPancake
  • Love It 1

Mental illness exists everywhere.  In some countries, such as Thailand, government provided mental healthcare is very minimal and the mentally ill are expected to be cared-for by their families.

But since the mentally ill have easy access to alcohol and drugs, it only exacerbates the problem, often to the point where families can no-longer care for them and have to throw them out into the street.

And this leads to the OP's observations in this thread.

Just some of your typical expats.  Nothing unusual.  They come to Thailand and bring their problems.  Mental illness, alcohol issues, no money, no insurance, etc. And they think Thailand will be the big turning point in their lives.  And for the most part it’s not. 

• Thumbs Up 2

to the title ...

Stay away from PKK, as I apparently brought my mental illness with me.  Been asked or told a few times:

... Are you F'g crazy ?

... You crazy bastard !

... You ain't right in the head.

... You're F'g nuts.

On 11/9/2023 at 3:49 PM, vangrop said:

Did you saw a prove of the Norvegians 100k a month income? Or do you believe anything people tell you, especially the ones with mental illness?

Fyi, a 100k baht disability income is quite common in Norway. 

If this looney has it though, who knows.

On 11/9/2023 at 4:38 PM, kokopelli said:

I have/had a farang friend here in Pattaya who is having a mental health issue and does not understand nor believe it. I have suggested he try to get medical help but he tells me I am the crazy one. It is very frustrating to try to help him or even speak with him. I do fear for his safety but do not know how to help him. 

He should come on here. We’ll sort him out. Even though partly in jest, I’m also serious. Isolation can do funny things to people. They can end up living almost entirely in their heads, coming up with all kinds of strange notions. 
At least coming on here, some of those can be challenged. If left to their own resources their minds may fester. 
It’s one of the reasons why I’m honest and forthright with regard to my perspective. To illustrate that you don’t have to be exactly the same as everyone else, in order to be regarded as ‘normal’. Someone here referred to ‘being on the spectrum’. Of course we are ‘on the spectrum’. Sometimes feeling a little ‘blue’ sometimes a little scared, sometimes a little angry. The point is to be able to traverse it and not get stuck. Some people get stuck at the extremes. That the danger… trying to get them back to understanding that life is fluid, not just exactly this way or exactly that way. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1