Managing forum toxicity and negativity

george

4 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

But here's the main point, in my opinion.

Many people are control-freaks. You can't control what other people are doing. You only have control over how you respond to it. You can ignore people or you can go on their threads and challenge what they say.

That just leads to bickering because the troll who thinks they're not a troll resorts to childish retorts, including making derogatory remarks about trans people. 

If you keep the inane conversation going you run the risk of getting one of those annoying warnings and "points that never expire" from an overzealous mod.

Ignore is the best option but some of the drivel that is posted is too egregious to let slide. Hence why that poster attracts such "abuse" as he describes it. 

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Hence why that poster attracts such "abuse" as he describes it. 

some people purposely "draw abuse" to themselves. 

I suppose you can try going the route of convincing the mods to adjust how they moderate.

good luck.

I ain't got the time nor the inclination. 

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

In my opinion there is a cohort of racists, misogynists, incels, political extremists, religious zealots and other social misfits who really don't want their ability to cast their message of hate and intolerance to be curtailed by restrictions on what they post. You'll usually hear the words "first amendment" pretty quickly from these people.

In my opinion some posters lack self awareness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

In my opinion there is a cohort of racists, misogynists, incels, political extremists, religious zealots and other social misfits who really don't want their ability to cast their message of hate and intolerance to be curtailed by restrictions on what they post. You'll usually hear the words "first amendment" pretty quickly from these people.

Interesting. Which ones apply to you?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

Ignore is the best option but some of the drivel that is posted is too egregious to let slide.

no matter what anyone does, there will always be people who will find a reason not to like you. 

the more opinions you express, the more people will dislike you because it's impossible for a bunch of people to agree with everything you say. 

bignok or anyone else doesn't bother me at all. 

I don't care who is posting what. I just respond to whatever I see fit to respond to. 

• Like 1

Just now, save the frogs said:

no matter what anyone does, there will always be people who will find a reason not to like you. 

the more opinions you express, the more people will dislike you because it's impossible for a bunch of people to agree with everything you say. 

I don't care who is posting what. I just respond to whatever I see fit to respond to.

Agree. Often I don't even bother to look who posted any particular post before I reply. The content of the post is what matters, not who wrote it. Hell, I even agreed with a post by bignok here not long ago.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

But you are rational. It's just words on a screen.

I wonder why anyone would hate a stranger so badly based on discussions on here.

Just now, ozimoron said:

Agree. Often I don't even bother to look who posted any particular post before I reply. The content of the post is what matters, not who wrote it. Hell, I even agreed with a post by bignok here not long ago.

that's the spirit, man.

i thought you quit the forum because someone hurled one too many insults at your political candidate or your dietary choices. 

glad you stuck around.

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

But you are rational. It's just words on a screen.

I wonder why anyone would hate a stranger so badly based on discussions on here.

well, if someone is gay and someone comes on says "it's not normal", then maybe you can see why someone might be offended and hate the person who said it? 

realistically, as I mentioned, it's not possible to expect everyone to like you.

the more opinions you express, the more likely someone will take issue with what you're saying and you will rub people the wrong way. 

so some people keep a low profile and don't express too many opinions. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

that's the spirit, man.

i thought you quit the forum because someone hurled one too many insults at your political candidate or your dietary choices. 

glad you stuck around.

He knows a fair bit about diet. I agree with him.

• Agree 1

Just now, save the frogs said:

well, if someone is gay and someone comes on says "it's not normal", then maybe you can see why someone might be offended and hate the person who said it? 

realistically, as I mentioned, it's not possible to expect everyone to like you.

the more opinions you express, the more likely someone will take issue with what you're saying and you will rub people the wrong way. 

so some people keep a low profile and don't express too many opinions. 

Yes but some people say I hate Bangkok or I now hate Thailand then get attacked for it.

Hating gays is irrational. Hating a city is totally normal.

It's fine to hate a politician too but don't mention it on every topic.

Most Thai gays are super friendly. The most polite staff in 7/11 are ladyboys.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

that's the spirit, man.

glad you stuck around.

Stuck around might be a bit strong. I was kind of overdoing it here a little in terms of wasting time and my productivity was suffering. Also, the futility of arguing with the same dozen intransigent people doesn't escape me. And I perceived, rightly or wrongly that there was a relaxation of enforcement of the rules, undertandably since many deliberately flagrantly ignored them. It must be like herding cats. Anyway, I have more or less finished a long coding project and was a bit triggered by a couple of news stories the last couple of days.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Stuck around might be a bit strong. I was kind of overdoing it here a little in terms of wasting time and my productivity was suffering.

Yep, same here.

Actually just replying in this thread has made me realize that it's too time-consuming.

An hour can go by responding back and forth to a comment you made.

And I have sh*t to do.

So I'm taking a hiatus. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bignok said:

Yes but some people say I hate Bangkok or I now hate Thailand then get attacked for it.

Hating gays is irrational. Hating a city is totally normal.

It's fine to hate a politician too but don't mention it on every topic.

Most Thai gays are super friendly. The most polite staff in 7/11 are ladyboys.

Sorry, can't help you man.

I got no more time to respond.

Sort it out for yourself.

Good luck.

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

People "hate" you because you and others of your ilk post nonsense 24/7. You invite ridicule because most of your posts are ridiculous and irrelevant.

Eg. joining a thread about Parmesan cheese to proclaim that's it not real cheese and smells like vomit.

That's trolling pure and simple. So much for being an adult eh?

When challenged you resort to childish tactics like calling people ladyboys etc and then the mods have to come along and clean up the thread.

Earlier in this thread you were complaining about how people make up stories about you but you do the same.

Eg. you accused me of living in Pattaya and spending all my time in bars. I don't, I live in Bangkok and don't spend very much time in bars.

You also falsely accused me of never having travelled anywhere in Thailand. I have. Travelled up and down the country many times and I sure as hell have learned more than you have despite your protestations to the contrary.

You denigrate other members for their high post count, eg. transam who has 81k posts since 2007. Yet your post count is 10k and you only joined recently, or should I say rejoined as bignok instead of sparktrader. By your own measure you are a troll yet you loudly protest that you're being trolled and mistreated by all the nasty old men.

You are what you accuse others of being.

The only thing you've got going is that because your posts are so inane you generate a lot of clicks so I'm sure our Dan is very pleased with you.

PS. don't bother replying as I won't read it. This post is for others' benefit, not yours.

I think you should worry about yourself. Hating strangers is not rational. Just use ignore button.

I can't be bothered reading past the first 2 lines.

Good luck.

5 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

People "hate" you because you and others of your ilk post nonsense 24/7. You invite ridicule because most of your posts are ridiculous and irrelevant.

Eg. joining a thread about Parmesan cheese to proclaim that's it not real cheese and smells like vomit.

That's trolling pure and simple. So much for being an adult eh?

When challenged you resort to childish tactics like calling people ladyboys etc and then the mods have to come along and clean up the thread.

Earlier in this thread you were complaining about how people make up stories about you but you do the same.

Eg. you accused me of living in Pattaya and spending all my time in bars. I don't, I live in Bangkok and don't spend very much time in bars.

You also falsely accused me of never having travelled anywhere in Thailand. I have. Travelled up and down the country many times and I sure as hell have learned more than you have despite your protestations to the contrary.

You denigrate other members for their high post count, eg. transam who has 81k posts since 2007. Yet your post count is 10k and you only joined recently, or should I say rejoined as bignok instead of sparktrader. By your own measure you are a troll yet you loudly protest that you're being trolled and mistreated by all the nasty old men.

You are what you accuse others of being.

The only thing you've got going is that because your posts are so inane you generate a lot of clicks so I'm sure our Dan is very pleased with you.

PS. don't bother replying as I won't read it. This post is for others' benefit, not yours.

I'm glad you cleared that up.

From a previous post i thought you were a tranny in distress but now you have clarified your on Tran's team.

I like Transam by the way.

• Haha 1