US says Israel to begin daily four-hour military pauses in Gaza

CharlieH

image.png

Israel will begin to implement daily four-hour military pauses in areas of northern Gaza, US National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said.

However Israel's defence minister stressed they were only "localised and pinpoint measures" that would "not detract from the war fighting".

On Thursday heavy fighting was reported around two big hospitals in Gaza City.

Meanwhile, pictures once again showed thousands of Palestinians fleeing south from the city and other northern areas.

The US called the daily pauses a "significant first step". But speaking to the BBC, Mr Kirby said each pause "will depend on the purpose and on the conditions on the ground".

Meanwhile a UN spokesperson said any halt to fighting would need to be coordinated with the UN "to be truly effective".

A conference in Paris earlier heard repeated appeals for a ceasefire in Gaza, where the UN has warned that the humanitarian situation is "intolerable".

Israel has been bombarding Gaza for over a month and began a major ground offensive almost two weeks ago with the objective of destroying Hamas, which it, the US and other Western powers consider a terrorist organisation.

The war began after an unprecedented cross-border assault on southern Israel by Hamas gunmen on 7 October, in which 1,400 people were killed and 240 others taken hostage.

Gaza's Hamas-run health ministry says 10,800 people have been killed in the territory since then, while 1.5 million have fled their homes.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

17 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Israel will begin to implement daily four-hour military pauses in areas of northern Gaza, US National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said.

How nice to allow the Gazans to have a respite of a few hours before they continue getting blown to bits, or buried alive under the rubble of their homes.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How nice to allow the Gazans to have a respite of a few hours before they continue getting blown to bits, or buried alive under the rubble of their homes.

@thaibeachlovers

Easy to say for someone sitting in front of a screen thousands of miles away.

Since Gazans seem to be using the opportunity to evacuate, maybe they feel differently about things.

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, placeholder said:

So you think the cancer metaphor was a good one?

Not really, you introduced a tumour which is something the original poster had not>

8 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

If you had cancer and could possibly be heathy again by having that cancer removed would you do it?  Hamas is a cancer on the world and needs to be removed.

5 hours ago, placeholder said:

Tell that to skipalongcassidy. It belongs to him. Although I don't think he was attempting to be funny.

I wasn't attempting to be funny... and per usual you did not comprehend my statement... I clearly stated... "could possibly be heathy again by having that cancer removed" ... the argument that removing the cancer is a deflection and an excuse.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I wasn't attempting to be funny... and per usual you did not comprehend my statement... I clearly stated... "could possibly be heathy again by having that cancer removed" ... the argument that removing the cancer is a deflection and an excuse.

Tell that to scottiejohn.

• Confused 2

On 12/5/2023 at 12:49 PM, Skipalongcassidy said:

If you had cancer and could possibly be heathy again by having that cancer removed would you do it?  Hamas is a cancer on the world and needs to be removed.

Well I had cancer and had it removed, but it didn't make me "healthy" again, so that might not be the best example to use.

If talking about bad people, there's a lot of them around the world, but you haven't spoken about them, just Hamas. Why is that?

However, I agree that it would be good to remove bad people, but where to begin? I suppose all warmongering leaders would be a good start, except there wouldn't be many left to govern any more.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well I had cancer and had it removed, but it didn't make me "healthy" again, so that might not be the best example to use.

If talking about bad people, there's a lot of them around the world, but you haven't spoken about them, just Hamas. Why is that?

However, I agree that it would be good to remove bad people, but where to begin? I suppose all warmongering leaders would be a good start, except there wouldn't be many left to govern any more.

Sorry about your cancer... but having it removed did make you healthier... if you didn't have it removed you would have died.

There are a lot of bad people around the world but this thread is about hamas being the focus of the bad people right now... start a different thread for the other bad people and we can discus them as well... that's a deflection.

• Like 1

Majority of Americans Back Israel as Democrats Split Over War With Hamas, WSJ Poll Finds

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/majority-of-americans-back-israel-as-democrats-split-over-war-with-hamas-wsj-poll-finds/ar-AA1ljw3A

A lot of numbers therein, not exactly telling anything new, but reaffirming how things stand.

I will touch on just two of them:

(a)

While younger, left-leaning voters tend to be more supportive of the Palestinians (or less supportive of Israel), and more critical of USA policy - that's almost expected. Young people are for black and white stuff, slogans and activism (I admit to joining protests in my youth with the hope of scoring). Then life happens, and people grow up. I know my politics shifted some over the years, certainly mellowed. I know it happened to many others.

(b)

Overall, this doesn't actually interest USA citizens all that much. Not in comparison to domestic, social issues. Not even the top world news choice, it seems.