Foreigners arrested at Phuket airport for visa overstay, illegal working

snoop1130

Interesting, why did they arrest him, the American guy that is?

Meanwhile, a second foreign national was arrested yesterday, November 9, at the immigration checkpoint in the Departures Hall at Phuket airport. The Phuket News reports that a 40 year old American male was detained at around 5.30am, having overstayed his visa by 79 days.

The unnamed man was taken to Sakhu Police Station (near the airport) for legal processing.

Either he had no money to pay the fine which I find unlikely or they're just making arrests when really there's no need.

Whatever they're doing here seems to be a Phuket thing.

• Confused 2

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

Interesting, why did they arrest him, the American guy that is?

Either he had no money to pay the fine which I find unlikely or they're just making arrests when really there's no need.

Whatever they're doing here seems to be a Phuket thing.

Not necessarily about money. They could have simply checked him before he reached immigration point to give heftier fines.

Sadao border crossing with Malaysia used to do that back in the day. They put up a police checkpoint just before border crossing and check everyone's documents. Anyone found on overstay would be arrested there. Maybe that idea is back.

• Sad 2

Normally on International departures the check-in desk will already check if you are on overstay. When you are in for example Bangkok, they then give you this card thing so that you are directed to the overstay desk desk + pay + leave. So that american must been very unlucky or Phuket is doing this different somehow.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Maybe Imm. read about the “Show and Go” loop and decided to tighten the loop…. I wouldn’t want to be in the position of seeing how lucky I am on any certain day at the IO desk.

IO mostly nice guys but have a job to do. Last time I flew in from Seoul I asked who I thought was a security gauard which way to arrivals. He said hop in the buggy and drove to arrivals IO… asked my address which hadn’t changed in 8 years. Out in 5 minutes…