Visa Exempt to Retirement Extension - Process and Cost

On 5/1/2024 at 5:46 PM, DrJack54 said:

No insurance is required for annual extensions to a non O based on retirement.

Insurance is required for extensions from a non O-A based on retirement 

Thanks for the clarification Dr Jack. Much appreciated

• 1 month later...

sorry to ask this, if it it is in many posts and repeat.

can one enter on Tourist Visas or other visas, and convert to extension of stays ?

and/or why do folks enter visa exempt, then do Non-Imm O's, the do the extensions vs just entering on regular tourist visas?

22 hours ago, khlongtoey said:

why do folks enter visa exempt, then do Non-Imm O's, the do the extensions vs just entering on regular tourist visas?

They switch to Non-O as the first step in obtaining permissions of stay for a year at a time.  The process for going from Visa-Exempt entry to Non-O, or Tourist-Visa entry to Non-O, is the same - other than a slightly different application form.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 5:20 PM, khlongtoey said:

can one enter on Tourist Visas or other visas, and convert to extension of stays ?

and/or why do folks enter visa exempt, then do Non-Imm O's, the do the extensions vs just entering on regular tourist visas?

Further to what Rob Browder noted, my understanding is IF one is in Thailand on a Tourist Visa, or Visa Exempt (but not on a Type-O nor Type-OA non-immigrant visa) one can NOT obtain a one year extension on one's permission to stay in Thailand

Nominally the Type-O / OA visas are the underlying visa when going for the one-year permission to stay in Thailand extensions (for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage to a Thai).

8 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Further to what Rob Browder noted, my understanding is IF one is in Thailand on a Tourist Visa, or Visa Exempt (but not on a Type-O nor Type-OA non-immigrant visa) one can NOT obtain a one year extension on one's permission to stay in Thailand

Nominally the Type-O / OA visas are the underlying visa when going for the one-year permission to stay in Thailand extensions (for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage to a Thai).

Your understanding is incorrect.....................obviously each Immigration may view things differently.

I know several people who have entered visa exempt and gone 'O' Visa 90 days then 12 month extension - via their local Immigration office.

7 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

True for on year extension of stay - but new procedures within the last decade allows conversion of a visa exempt or tourist visa entry into a non immigrant visa entry at immigration if meeting requirements and this costs 2,000 baht - during the 90 days this new visa entry is valid it can be extended for one year and continued to be extended using normal TM7 extension procedures.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 5:20 PM, khlongtoey said:

Visa exempt to 90 day non imm O visa and subsequent extensions is, imo, the easiest way to get one year extension of stay here in Thailand.

You can go Tourist visa/non imm O and subsequent visas but why bother with the Tourist visa unless you cannot get visa exempt.

You could get a non imm O visa in your home country and get extensions from it here but some find dealing with their home country Thai embassy online visa process to be complicated.

Imho, exempt/O visa and extension from is such a clear and easy route ( did it a couple of years ago when dumping the OA ) that i wouldn’t consider anything else if i had to start again for any reason.

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

You could get a non imm O visa in your home country and get extensions from it here but some find dealing with their home country Thai embassy online visa process to be complicated.

One advantage of obtaining the non O at Thai consulate/embassy is that it can assist in opening a bank account in Thailand.

In your own example of killing off the non O-A you would have a Thai bank account in place.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Your understanding is incorrect.....................obviously each Immigration may view things differently.

I know several people who have entered visa exempt and gone 'O' Visa 90 days then 12 month extension - via their local Immigration office.

You misread my post.

I noted one can not go visa exempt DIRECT to a 12 month extension.

I myself went visa exempt to a Type-O to a 12 month extension.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

True for on year extension of stay - but new procedures within the last decade allows conversion of a visa exempt or tourist visa entry into a non immigrant visa entry at immigration if meeting requirements and this costs 2,000 baht - during the 90 days this new visa entry is valid it can be extended for one year and continued to be extended using normal TM7 extension procedures.

Interesting ... I had not read of that.  Although rather than sit at the airport immigration to do that (after a LONG flight), I would rather do what I did, which is once I am back home in Thailand (on a visa exempt) to in the next few days head down to the local immigration office, at my leisure, and then only then apply for the Type-O visa. 

Typically, when I arrive at the Airport immigration, I am totally jet lagged and exhausted.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Interesting ... I had not read of that.  Although rather than sit at the airport immigration to do that (after a LONG flight), I would rather do what I did, which is once I am back home in Thailand (on a visa exempt) to in the next few days head down to the local immigration office, at my leisure, and then only then apply for the Type-O visa. 

Typically, when I arrive at the Airport immigration, I am totally jet lagged and exhausted.

Believe we still have confusion - my mention of immigration is at an immigration office after getting stamped in visa exempt or on a tourist visa entry- not making change on arrival at airport as believe you read it.  Sorry.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

in my case, I've a Thai bank account, I prefer not to travel visa exempt, so lets say in 2025, I were to make the 800k THB deposits.

I then apply for the Non-Imm O and enter Thailand with 90 day stamp, Must I then wait till the last 15 days of the 90 to go to Chang Wattana and apply for the Extension of Stay ?

I assume my 1st 90 day report possibly could be done in person at the same time , if it were closer to the end of the 90 days, however, likely I would like to do my 1st Extension early. And get a re-entry.

Maybe then get a certificate of residency to move the 800k to a new fixed account @ BBL , where it would remain while out of country.(and hence not require monthly activity? )

Not planning on remaining in Thailand, >4-5 months/year but planning on returning yearly to do Extensions

So, all this might require 4 months total in Thailand ?

18 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

I then apply for the Non-Imm O and enter Thailand with 90 day stamp, Must I then wait till the last 15 days of the 90 to go to Chang Wattana and apply for the Extension of Stay ?

No.  At CW you can apply 45 days early.

19 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

I assume my 1st 90 day report possibly could be done in person at the same time , if it were closer to the end of the 90 days, however, likely I would like to do my 1st Extension early. And get a re-entry.

When you get the extension they will put you 90 day report slip in your passport.  That will tell you to report 90 days from the day you apply for the extension.

22 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

Maybe then get a certificate of residency to move the 800k to a new fixed account @ BBL , where it would remain while out of country.(and hence not require monthly activity? )

At CW you will need to have done a 90 day report before they will issue a residence certificate,  but you may not need one to open a new account (I didn't recently).  Make sure the 800k remains constant for 3 months after the extension application.  If moving it to a new account better to do it after 3 months and in 2 400k lumps to avoid any issues.  Monthly activity not needed.

28 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

Apart from ongoing banking issues you can enter with 90 days and get everything done after 45 days.  As long as your 800k is already there for 2 months when you apply.  You can of course deposit the money before entering the coiuntry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khlongtoey said:

Once on the 90-day type-O visa (but before obtaining the 1-year extension on the type-O's permission to stay), I suspect you could get a re-entry permit, that would allow you to leave Thailand for a portion of the 90-days.  Likely in that case, if you get the re-entry permit immediately after getting the Type-O visa, and if you then leave Thailand, you should return to Thailand after about 60-days (ie with 1 month or so left in your Type-O visa) and immediately upon returning apply for your 1-year permission to stay based on the Type-O visa.

Hopefully, if I have that incorrect, that others on the forum will correct me - but I do not believe you are required to spend 4 months total in Thailand - you do thou, need to plan your exact time in Thailand carefully to match the dates in which you will need to do things.

13 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Once on the 90-day type-O visa (but before obtaining the 1-year extension on the type-O's permission to stay), I suspect you could get a re-entry permit, that would allow you to leave Thailand for a portion of the 90-days.  Likely in that case, if you get the re-entry permit immediately after getting the Type-O visa, and if you then leave Thailand, you should return to Thailand after about 60-days (ie with 1 month or so left in your Type-O visa) and immediately upon returning apply for your 1-year permission to stay based on the Type-O visa.

Hopefully, if I have that incorrect, that others on the forum will correct me - but I do not believe you are required to spend 4 months total in Thailand - you do thou, need to plan your exact time in Thailand carefully to match the dates in which you will need to do things.

4 months might be OK for the next trip ; hmm so per upnotover my 1st 90 day will be from the day acquire Extension, so the 1st 45 days would not count towards a 90 day report?   Guess that then means 90+45 days minimum, to acquire a COR (though maybe there is a delay of possible few weeks to get the COR emailed to myself?)

II- hence the "slip" at extension is not a 90 day and not useful for anything   like a Cert of Residency?  (I wanted to also use it to renew a Thai DL ) or I just let the DL go that expires 12/2024 till 2026 or so ... in which case maybe closer to 100 days to be able to remove doubt on the RE use ? And not have to bother with 90 days yet

III-- DrJack thought I would need some monthly activity in my BBL "savings" account, in order to use it for the 2nd Extension, is why I was thinking of opening a Fixed account (not sure if this then means I may need/want to pay Thai taxes/file.??)

maybe I could just use iBanking to make small transfers between my 2 BBL accounts montly, keeping the main fund > 800k ?

IV- I assume if I go 40 days early to CW, I can get a re-entry at the same time, and use it during the 1 year after the original Non-IMM O expires ? Or maybe I should wait and go back to CW to get the re-entry after the dates of the Extension began.

14 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

IV- I assume if I go 40 days early to CW, I can get a re-entry at the same time, and use it during the 1 year after the original Non-IMM O expires ? Or maybe I should wait and go back to CW to get the re-entry after the dates of the Extension began.

When you get the annual extension is will be dated 1 year from your current entry permit - so no days are lost due to applying early.  And yes, you can get a re-entry permit the same day, it will have the same expiry date as the extension, no benefit to go back later.

8 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

When you get the annual extension is will be dated 1 year from your current entry permit - so no days are lost due to applying early.  And yes, you can get a re-entry permit the same day, it will have the same expiry date as the extension, no benefit to go back later.

so the 1 year is tacked onto the end of the 90 days of the Non-Imm O ?  

like other extensions are ?

if so, then maybe a minimum stay might be more like 100 days

1 minute ago, khlongtoey said:

so the 1 year is tacked onto the end of the 90 days of the Non-Imm O ?  

like other extensions are ?

if so, then maybe a minimum stay might be more like 100 days

Yes.  The required duration of your trip seems only to be determined by your desire/need for a Residence Certificate?  You have a year after your driving license expires to renew it.  I am in the same siuation as my DL also expired and cannot get a RC as since 2006 I've never managed to stay in country 90 days.

4 hours ago, khlongtoey said:

4 months might be OK for the next trip

You could cut this up into two shorter visits.

Show up and enter Thailand Visa Exempt (currently that gives one 30-days (but it could change soon, which means this post could be soon out of date)).  The day after you arrive in Thailand go to the local immigration and apply for a 90-day type-O visa. You need to meet the Visa requirements (over age-50 + 800k THB seasoned in the bank for at least 2 months prior to your application (assuming you are applying for reason of 'retirement'). 

Nominally dependent on your immigration office location, I believe this could take up to 30 days and possibly shorter.  So it makes it a bit difficult to plan precisely.  The very day in which you receive the Type-O Visa, at the same immigration obtain a single (1000 THB) or multiple (3800 THB)) re-entry permit. This allows you to leave Thailand immediately without invalidating your Type-O visa.

Then return to Thailand about 30 days prior to your Type-O visa expiring. As soon as you get back to Thailand (with only ~30-days left in your Type-O visa's permission to stay in Thailand) go to your local immigration office and apply for a 1 year extension on the permission to stay that comes with your Type-O visa.  Again, you will need to have had the 800K THB in the bank (so simply keep the 800k THB in the bank the entire time).  Dependent on your immigration office you could receive this extension very quick or it could take the entire 30 days. 

And once you get the extension on your permission to say, immediately apply for a re-entry permit on that permission to stay extension with your type-O visa. You are then free to leave Thailand and return anytime within a year  ... just be certain to be back in Thailand one month before your 'permission to stay' in Thailand expires, so you that you have adequate time to apply for another 1-year extension on your permission to stay.

So that means only 2 months total (about 30-days per trip).   Maybe less. Maybe more.

I see such an approach mainly for those who don't plan to live in Thailand full time, but maybe only visit Thailand for 179-days or less per year.  Visiting for 179-days or less could be important for taxation related reasons (but that is something for ANOTHER thread and not this one).

Possibly with the new Visa changes coming out, there will be much superior ways to go about such an approach - and this could OUT OF DATE VERY SOON.  ... and again - it could be I made a mistake here - so if I did, I hope others will chime in and correct what I typed.

Edited by oldcpu

3 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

You could cut this up into two shorter visits.

Show up and enter Thailand Visa Exempt (currently that gives one 30-days (but it could change soon, which means this post could be soon out of date)).  The day after you arrive in Thailand go to the local immigration and apply for a 90-day type-O visa. You need to meet the Visa requirements (over age-50 + 800k THB seasoned in the bank for at least 2 months prior to your application (assuming you are applying for reason of 'retirement'). 

Nominally dependent on your immigration office location, I believe this could take up to 30 days and possibly shorter.  So it makes it a bit difficult to plan precisely.  The very day in which you receive the Type-O Visa, at the same immigration obtain a single (1000 THB) or multiple (3800 THB)) re-entry permit. This allows you to leave Thailand immediately without invalidating your Type-O visa.

Then return to Thailand about 30 days prior to your Type-O visa expiring. As soon as you get back to Thailand (with only ~30-days left in your Type-O visa's permission to stay in Thailand) go to your local immigration office and apply for a 1 year extension on the permission to stay that comes with your Type-O visa.  Again, you will need to have had the 800K THB in the bank (so simply keep the 800k THB in the bank the entire time).  Dependent on your immigration office you could receive this extension very quick or i could take the entire 30 days. 

And once you get the extension on your permission to say, immediately apply for a re-entry permit on that permission to stay extension with your type-O visa. You are then free to leave Thailand and return anytime within a year  ... just be certain to be back in Thailand one month before your 'permission to stay' in Thailand expires, so you that you have adequate time to apply for another 1-year extension on your permission to stay.

So that mans only 2 months total (about 30-days per trip).   Maybe less. Maybe more.

I see such an approach mainly for those who don't plan to live in Thailand full time, but maybe only visit Thailand for 179-days or less per year.  Visiting for 179-days or less could be important for taxation related reasons (but that is something for ANOTHER thread and not this one).

Possibly with the new Visa changes coming out, there will be much superior ways to go about such an approach - and this could OUT OF DATE VERY SOON.  ... and again - it could be I made a mistake here - so if I did, I hope others will chime in and correct what I typed.

I will stand corrected but I believe 800k for the initial 90 day Non-Imm 'O' visa does NOT require seasoning. The seasoning only applies to subsequent extension application.

10 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

The day after you arrive in Thailand go to the local immigration and apply for a 90-day type-O visa. You need to meet the Visa requirements (over age-50 + 800k THB seasoned in the bank for at least 2 months prior to your application (assuming you are applying for reason of 'retirement'). 

Funds in bank do not need seasoning for non O retirement application.

The one notable exception is Jomitien that requires 2 months.

• Like 1

The only correction I would add to the "Get 90 Day Non-O at Immigration + re-entry permit" posts, is that this process may involve a home-visit.  The timing of that visit could impact when one could be out of Thailand.

so, I'm planning on getting non-imm O in the US pre-travel, so then 45 days in , go to CW and apply for the Extension, ok.

but, then are you saying that sometimes, if may take 30 days till the actually extension is issued?

and can I get a re-entry at the Same visit (applying 45 days in for the extension), and have That re-entry work for the time during the Extension? (e.g after the non-imm O expires , and the new Extension is in force (stamped ?)

a) I am aware many expats get them at the same time, the re-entry , while applying for the extension annually, but just asking, as it seems confusing, if there is also a possibility for re-entry under the non-imm O

And When would I do the 1st in-person 90 day , assuming the above , assuming it Can't also be done during the visit for the extension ?

apologize if this is repetitive or a repeat, I'll get it more organized when back in the US soon

11 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

but, then are you saying that sometimes, if may take 30 days till the actually extension is issued?

You will get the extension the same day.  It will be dated 12 months from your 90 day entry stamp (exit date).

and can I get a re-entry at the Same visit (applying 45 days in for the extension), and have That re-entry work for the time during the Extension? (e.g after the non-imm O expires , and the new Extension is in force (stamped ?)

Yes.  It will have the same end date as the extension.

And When would I do the 1st in-person 90 day , assuming the above , assuming it Can't also be done during the visit for the extension ?

You will get a slip in your passport advising you to do a 90 day report 90 days from the date you go for the extension.

but just asking, as it seems confusing, if there is also a possibility for re-entry under the non-imm O

It is possible but not relevant if you do what you say you will.  Just make sure you get the extension first.

And be sure to make an appojntment here https://gov.immigration1.queueonline.net/appointment/login.html?v31 easy to do online and can save a lot of time standing in line.

• Thumbs Up 1