Breathalyzer tests proposed for Thai nightlife venues

webfact

The checking of patrons has & is done by many bars.

Having owned & operated bars in Bangkok for 25 years we have taken more keys to motorbikes & cars  off people than 

I can number. Our bar in lower Sukhumvit was open till 4am on a regular basis.

And "Smokey & the Bandit" refused drinks to many.

35 minutes ago, Puccini said:

The answer is in the second paragraph of the news article in the OP:

"The proposal also includes the responsibility of these establishments to arrange transportation services for such patrons."

Yes, but not to pay for it. When the guy is in the taxi, he will just go to the next place.

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I seriously doubt it!

I think you're right, they will soon learn to paint a white line on the street and get patrons to see if they can walk a straight line, this is far cheaper, they can get the bar girls to stand each side of it to be judges and prevent the customers from being run over by motorcycles. 

6 minutes ago, Jethro27 said:

I can see Einstein and Tesla yelling at each other saying, Here we go again!!!!

If this is a lightbulb moment can you please disconnect my power source 

You couldn’t make this S**t up.

The Thai national anthem should start with “ Folks are dumb where I come from “

There must be a burning desire among some of the government officials to destroy the tourist economy.  WHY pitch ideas like this at a time when the Thai government is trying to bring as many tourists to their shores as possible to boost the fragile economy?  It seems like one hand doesn't know or care what the other hand is doing.  They really need to have one central spokesperson to speak about public policy and that is only after it has been reviewed and approved by the chain of command.   

They really don't need any loose cannons making statements that pi$$es off the visitors thinking about coming.

22 hours ago, smedly said:

omg

speechless 

what braincell come up with this totally ridiculous idea

I don't even understand what they are talking about, are the going to figure out who is driving and test them ?

stupid people, that is the job of police which is severely lacking

A big song and dance about 4am closures - places are alreay open to 4am and have been for months

I my experience they have been open after 4am in some venues for years and years...

On 11/13/2023 at 8:18 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Nonsense, they can't be administered within 20 minutes of last drink or it's an instant failure from mouth alcohol.

They're are just suggesting it at the moment. The thing with the Thai government is they say things that have been suggested before they have really thought about it. Like you say,  go in for 15 mins have one drink leave straight away, test at the door, over the limit.

On 11/13/2023 at 8:05 AM, webfact said:

The proposal also includes the responsibility of these establishments to arrange transportation services for such patrons

Stuff the testing just arrange the buses/taxi's, if people new there would be transport home they would probably drink more, also who is going to test the drivers who've probably been at the venue for hours.

On 11/13/2023 at 8:26 AM, smedly said:

omg

speechless 

what braincell come up with this totally ridiculous idea

I don't even understand what they are talking about, are the going to figure out who is driving and test them ?

stupid people, that is the job of police which is severely lacking

A big song and dance about 4am closures - places are alreay open to 4am and have been for months

Yeah, well the police set up tents on Thai public holidays and sure they do not breathalize  then and perhaps the should on drivers every day but it would work as be too lazy to carry it out

• 2 weeks later...