Help! I have questions about my leaking A/C

Furioso

Can an A/C repair shop unclog a drain line coming out of a Split A/C? 

• I'm on the Condo 2nd floor.
  • My Split A/C is leaking all over the floor.
  • The drain line is clogged with mold/gunk. 
  • The drain line goes from the A/C into the wall and worms down through the building but nobody knows where it ends. 
  • The last time this happened(4 months ago) the A/C guy just blew into the drain hose, which was so nasty he almost passed out. 

Maybe Jomtien Air or Numchai can do a more professional unclogging? 

Anyone know where I can buy A/C Drain Line Tablets/Flow Tabs to keep the drain clean? 

• Haha 2

I have had the same problem with my split AC on occasion, and as you say it is the drainpipe which is clogged up with gunk and I have managed to unclog it in the past by pouring bleach down the drainpipe in the wall, except for the time when some sort of small insect got wedged in there!

The last AC guy who came along to clean my AC, because I get it cleaned about every 4 to 6 months, suggested that I needed to put the aircon on high for a few hours to get the moisture flowing down the pipe rather than just laying there for a while, gathering mould. So far that has worked.

He also said that it looked as if I had used the aircon (which is somewhere above my cooking surfaces) when I had been cooking (which I do) and he recommended turning it off whilst I was cooking to stop steam and oil/fat getting into the aircon, as it was very noticeable around the aircon fan.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Furioso said:

The last time this happened(4 months ago) the A/C guy just blew into the drain hose, which was so nasty he almost passed out. 

This is what I do if ever the drain pipe gets blocked with ' mook '  ( snot like jelly )

The trick is not to breath in.:wink:

Cover end of drain pipe with clean handkerchief , take a deep breath then blow as hard as you can down the pipe. This causes a lot of crap to be blown out the front of your air con so if it is over a bed , remove sheets first and put plastic bags down.

This of course is only a temporary fix to remove the blockage. When the pipe does get blocked it's time to have the air con properly cleaned/ serviced at which time you can tell the engineer about the blocked drain pipe.

59 minutes ago, Furioso said:

The last time this happened(4 months ago) the A/C guy just blew into the drain hose, which was so nasty he almost passed out. 

In a three story townhouse with a drain pipe from the third floor to the ground floor that had no access, the maintenance guy had a "snake" that was able to run down the drain pipe and clean it out completely. It was excellent.

11 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I have had the same problem with my split AC on occasion, and as you say it is the drainpipe which is clogged up with gunk and I have managed to unclog it in the past by pouring bleach down the drainpipe in the wall, except for the time when some sort of small insect got wedged in there!

The last AC guy who came along to clean my AC, because I get it cleaned about every 4 to 6 months, suggested that I needed to put the aircon on high for a few hours to get the moisture flowing down the pipe rather than just laying there for a while, gathering mould. So far that has worked.

He also said that it looked as if I had used the aircon (which is somewhere above my cooking surfaces) when I had been cooking (which I do) and he recommended turning it off whilst I was cooking to stop steam and oil/fat getting into the aircon, as it was very noticeable around the aircon fan.

Yes, whenever I do get somebody here to unclog it I plan on pouring bleach down the pipe to kill a lot of whatever slime is left in there. Also, this is why I want to buy the A/C Flow Tabs but I don't know where to buy them here in Thailand. The Flow Tabs are hard tablets that sit in your drain pan, that prevent the slime from building. 

My A/C blades get dirty too, I think it's mostly because of the high humidity in my Condo, which usually sits around 60%-70%. I have seriously thought about buying a dehumidifier as I've read that you get much better air quality with the humidity around 35%-50%..anything over 50% is not good. 

Thanks for your reply, very helpful!

• Thumbs Up 1

The most important thing is that your outflow pipe from your aircon unit flows at a downward angle towards the (outside) outflow pipe.

I had a repeated problem of my newly installed aircon. Always leaked after 2 or 3 months. Solution was to remove the boxed in area and make the outflow pipe slope downwards, so that no water collected in the tray. Then to insulate the outflow pipes and the copper coolant pipe, (which in the original installation had been duct-taped together, causing condensation, which after time dripped through the boxed area). As well as this, I have all aircons (5) professionally cleaned every 6 months. Whereas before the main culprit, (my bedroom aircon, which gets most use) used to have "jelly" in it, now it does not, because the water flows out, and does not accumulate in the aircon's tray. 

I also cut the outflow pipes (outside) into 2 segments, with a funnel, covered with mesh. If the far end of the run off pipe, which feeds into a drain, gets clogged, the water dripping through will backflow through the funnel, (outside) on the balcony.

All 5 aircons were "professionally" installed during a major renovation, but three years later, and several major "waterfalls" later, ruining JT silk curtains et al, I decided to take out the box (in which the pipes were hidden for aesthetics). As I suspected, the piping was as described above, (completely ignoring the 101 of these things, gravity). Once fixed, the box was reinstated, and so far, everything seems to be working satisfactorily, (although I've probably jinxed it by writing all of this).

Aircon installation by "professional aircon installers" is not of a very good quality, and the problems occur long after the contractor has disappeared.

A/C drain line tablets, according to Google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=a%2Fc+drain+line+tablets&rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH851TH851&oq=A%2FC+drain+line+tab&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgAEAAYgAQyBwgAEAAYgAQyBggBEEUYOTIKCAIQABiGAxiKBTIKCAMQABiGAxiKBTIKCAQQABiGAxiKBTIKCAUQABiGAxiKBTIGCAYQRRg6qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 1

I have the same problem on a couple of aircons. 

If you can access the drain tube's inlet or outlet, you can use moderately high pressure air or water to remove most of the gunk. For water, you just need a tight fitting tube that screws to a nearby faucet. A wife can be useful to hold one end tight while I tweak the faucet.  For air I use one of these cheap industrial high power air guns.  Many can be made to suck or blow. 

I  leave it to you to find the best way to make things fit, it's often trial and error.

27 minutes ago, Furioso said:

Yes, whenever I do get somebody here to unclog it I plan on pouring bleach down the pipe to kill a lot of whatever slime is left in there. Also, this is why I want to buy the A/C Flow Tabs but I don't know where to buy them here in Thailand. The Flow Tabs are hard tablets that sit in your drain pan, that prevent the slime from building. 

My A/C blades get dirty too, I think it's mostly because of the high humidity in my Condo, which usually sits around 60%-70%. I have seriously thought about buying a dehumidifier as I've read that you get much better air quality with the humidity around 35%-50%..anything over 50% is not good. 

Thanks for your reply, very helpful!

As for high humidity, I use the dehumidifier function on my aircon to keep the humidity down and try and keep it in the 50s. Does yours have this function?

Just now, xylophone said:

As for high humidity, I use the dehumidifier function on my aircon to keep the humidity down and try and keep it in the 50s. Does yours have this function?

Yes, My A/C does have this function but I've read this method uses a lot more electricity than normal use. I've tried it once it worked very fast. 

All the ways to clean AC drain lines, from pros. Their cleaning solution ideas are very cheap.

https://southlandac.com/different-ways-to-unclog-drain-lines-in-your-ac/

• Plunger Method. ...
  • Use a Wet/Dry Vacuum. ...
  • Pour One Cup of Vinegar Down the Drain Line. ...
  • Pour One Cup of Bleach Down the Drain Line. ...
  • Blow Air Through the Line. ...
  • Flush Clean Water Through It. ...
  • Use Chemical Drain Cleaners. ...
  • Use an Electric Snake.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Right now my game plan is to get the A/C guys to come out and clean my A/C..then, while the A/C is all taken apart I'll blow out the gunk via a handkerchief, then pour bleach down the pipe..

..and finally once they put the A/C back together I'll place a couple of "Pak Klean Drain Line Cleaner"(ordered off Lazada") into my drain pan and hopefully I'll be free of all this ghostbusters slime mold for a long time. 

You're right these A/C units are often installed improperly, sometimes simply for aesthetic reasons. I know my drain line is barely sloped down enough, so it's easy for the slime to backup and cause these types of problems. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, rabas said:

All the ways to clean AC drain lines, from pros. Their cleaning solution ideas are very cheap.

https://southlandac.com/different-ways-to-unclog-drain-lines-in-your-ac/

• Plunger Method. ...
  • Use a Wet/Dry Vacuum. ...
  • Pour One Cup of Vinegar Down the Drain Line. ...
  • Pour One Cup of Bleach Down the Drain Line. ...
  • Blow Air Through the Line. ...
  • Flush Clean Water Through It. ...
  • Use Chemical Drain Cleaners. ...
  • Use an Electric Snake.

Yes, all good methods except I've read that vinegar is acidic and thus bleach should be used instead. 

46 minutes ago, Furioso said:

Yes, all good methods except I've read that vinegar is acidic and thus bleach should be used instead. 

Agree, vinegar, acetic acid, is probably not the best thing to put on condenser coils with the fragile little fins, especially in newer more cheaply made air cons. The pan and drainage tube would probably be fine by why take the risk.

1 hour ago, Furioso said:

You're right these A/C units are often installed improperly, sometimes simply for aesthetic reasons. I know my drain line is barely sloped down enough, so it's easy for the slime to backup and cause these types of problems. 

Until you get this changed, the problem will recur. At one stage I was having the aircon that was problematic cleaned every three months, because the jelly build up took about that time to clog up the tray...and the waterworks began. Almost 3 months to the day, in each of the several cases. My whole renovation in 2019 was to fix the continuous aircon problems I had over the preceding 15 years. So I ripped all of them out, (they were the built-in type, put in by my first contractor in 2004), and as it involved so much ceiling and wall work, renovated the whole place as well. It was therefore rather irritating to find that the newly installed split Mitsubishi inverter units with bells on failed, as described. The only thing I can say is that the electricity bill has fallen by 75%, because the old units were clearly unfit for purpose on every level.

18 hours ago, Furioso said:

I have seriously thought about buying a dehumidifier as I've read that you get much better air quality with the humidity around 35%-50%..anything over 50% is not good. 

Your reading is incorrect and the information is wrong.

The comfortable humidity range is between 40% and 70%. Get it too low, 20% and under, and you need humidifiers . I’ve experienced this in Japanese winters on the pacific coast where it drops to 10% and lower and every shop and business has them running all day. Without humidifiers it is painful.

Get the humidity over 70% and you feel sticky, Thailand is often 80%+ 

I do have an industrial grade dehumidifier that I run in conjunction with my AC to keep my workshop under 70% and I have humidity meters in every room, currently in the AC bedroom it’s 59% and 24C, the living room is 56% and 28C, the workshop is dropping from 27C and is at 62%. These humidity levels are so low because the temperature outside at the moment is 24C and 70%

The only time I ever see humidity levels as low as 25% is in the car. In the house you will get a 10% to 20% drop but the dehumidifier must be run with the AC as it pumps out heated air and you must also have the water drain running or you will be forever emptying it or the dehumidifier is too small to be effective. FWIW if I forget to have the water drain connected I will fill a 6 litre water tank in a couple of hours.

I couldn't get the A/C guys to come out soon enough so I woke up and decided to try and unclog the drain line myself. Just getting to the drain line via the A/C was fairly difficult. Once I got to the drain line and disconnected the hose sure enough the water poured from both the drain pan and the hose simultaneously..thankfully I had already laid down a huge towel.

Next, I connected my air pump to the drain hose and ran that for awhile. Then, I cleaned up all the slime in the drain pan. Finally I poured bleach in the drain pan/hose. Finally, I've got the PaK Klean Drain Line Cleaner from Lazada on order. 

Now the A/C is running fine with no more water leaks. IF/when it happens again at least I know how to clear it out. 

Once again thanks for all your suggestions! 

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing many a  sheite install and many a  sheite cleaning guy I learnt how to clean my own. I also boughty aircons with an easily removable drain tray "DaiKin" do one. You can remove the entire tray easily. With it out I then stick a  hose on the end of the drain pipe and blast the jelly  out. Followed by bleach. If your aircon guy isnt dismantling the airocn chances are they arent cleaning out the drain. Also I stuck some fine mesh in the drain pipe where it exits the room to stop anything crawling up it such as ants , jing joks etc and those wasps thing which like to make a mud  nest.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit