Travel luggage recommendation

Lim Yuan Hai

Hi,

Can anyone kindly recommend a store in Bangkok where I can buy travel luggage? I'm looking for luggage that is relatively light, durable, brand new (high quality with a reasonable price), and the store should offer a wide variety of choices. I'm also seeking brand recommendations that meet these criteria. Any suggestions for both the store and suitable brands would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

You don't need brand recommendations. You should be able to tell which luggage is good quality by feeling it out in the store. 

Or you can't go wrong with the reputable brands like Samsonite. They know what they're doing. 

Light vs durable: The lighter ones are soft shell. They are not as durable as the hard shell. But hard shell is heavier. Decide what's more important. If you have tech stuff, hard drives, anything easily breakable, then maybe you need a hard shell. 

Maybe get the ones with 4 wheel spinners. They're easier to maneuver when you're traveling. 

I gave up investing in luggage brands a while back. Wheels still break off, zippers come undone. Maybe it's a factory thing, dunno. Tried the so-called guarantee thing on two items, was a hassle getting a response even, seller as usual 'not responsible'. I just buy the fake or no name ones that look alright. Not the same quality, but then it's no big deal buying a new one as needed. There's one that outlasts all the others, plus it's purple, so easy to spot among the rest.

I would recommend a Samsonite clam-shell with clasp fasteners - I've had mine for about fifteen years and it's been all over the world. It's got a few scuff marks but is otherwise as good as new. The only downside is that it's heavy, about 7kg I think, but that's the price of ruggedness unless you can afford carbon/Kevlar.

One thing that I would NEVER buy is a case with zip-around fastening - I've seen too many on the carousels that have split open.

PS: Samsonite supply spare parts (wheels, handles, locks etc.) should you need them - I never have.

11 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

I would recommend a Samsonite clam-shell with clasp fasteners - I've had mine for about fifteen years and it's been all over the world. It's got a few scuff marks but is otherwise as good as new. The only downside is that it's heavy, about 7kg I think, but that's the price of ruggedness unless you can afford carbon/Kevlar.

One thing that I would NEVER buy is a case with zip-around fastening - I've seen too many on the carousels that have split open.

PS: Samsonite supply spare parts (wheels, handles, locks etc.) should you need them - I never have.

In my experience, they say they will - trying to actually get them to supply something or to be responsible for repairs, or to even recommend where to do the repairs - meh. At least in Thailand, never had to try it anywhere else with them.

Edited by Morch
  • Agree 1

The bigger and heavier bag you buy, the more likely it will be put at the bottom of the pile and be damaged. I used to religiously use the hardcase by samsonite or American tourister. I now use duffel bags or my big rucksack (Decathlon) as they are very light and get put on top of the heavy bags. I've never had any damage to the these. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Morch said:

In my experience, they say they will - trying to actually get them to supply something or to be responsible for repairs, or to even recommend where to do the repairs - meh. At least in Thailand, never had to try it anywhere else with them.

Yes, I just checked and Thailand is one of the few countries where Samsonite don't have a service centre.

However, their website is excellent and so I would imagine you can get spares online.

3 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Yes, I just checked and Thailand is one of the few countries where Samsonite don't have a service centre.

However, their website is excellent and so I would imagine you can get spares online.

I thought that too.

First they wouldn't send to Thailand.

Then they took their time.

The part they sent wasn't the needed one.

Not a happy customer.

6 minutes ago, alien365 said:

The bigger and heavier bag you buy, the more likely it will be put at the bottom of the pile and be damaged. I used to religiously use the hardcase by samsonite or American tourister. I now use duffel bags or my big rucksack (Decathlon) as they are very light and get put on top of the heavy bags. I've never had any damage to the these. 

Now that I have a lot of my stuff in Thailand I only need a carry-on backpack when popping home to the UK - I would never put soft luggage into the checked luggage system.

Whatever works for you is fine.

Spend some money and get

https://www.briggs-riley.com/

I worked the oil patch for 40 years and just got used to replacing bags after 2 years or less. Samsonite other "good" brands.

In 2008 I spent 1000 dollars on a set of Briggs and Riley bags, still have them.

Lifetime guarantee, if it's damaged they will repair it and if unable to repair it will be replaced

Well worth it.

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

I've seen first hand, baggage handlers don't give a flying toss about heavy, light, top or bottom of the pile. It's just pure bloody luck if your bags come through unscathed.

Samsonite, through and through!

Edited by V8M8
spelling

Just now, bignok said:

Lame post. Duffel bags are light and strong. You obviously have no idea.

Lame posts are your forte, as proven by you saturating every topic with your one liners. I have done enough traveling to know what a good suitcase is sonny.

14 minutes ago, V8M8 said:

I've seen first hand, baggage handlers don't give a flying toss about heavy, light, top or bottom of the pile. It's just pure bloody luck if your bags come through unscathed.

Samsonite, through and through!

Grossly overpriced.

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Stop trolling. You have no idea about bags.

Not trolling. Seems like you have a fear of trolls. Please seek help. Especially if you can see an argument over luggage quality being worthy of attacking me.

Just now, V8M8 said:

Not trolling. Seems like you have a fear of trolls. Please seek help. Especially if you can see an argument over luggage quality being worthy of attacking me.

Stop posting rubbish. You are trolling. Clearly you know nothing about bags.