Chinese airlines cancel flights to Thailand as demand drops

snoop1130

5 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

This is hilarious we have one headline hat says Chinese airlines are cancellng flights due to lack of customers, and then we have another where Thai air wants to put more flights in and out of China.

Bottom ine is that countries and places that rely on strictly tourism are in trouble because people have less and less money to spend.  Most people are looking at trips that are close to home.

In the case of India, Pakistan, China and Russia there are not many places to go where they can enjoy the world.

The other side is that there are not a lot of people that can afford the trips.

Thailand needs to look at other businesses.  Companies in the west are closing their call centers.  If Thailand was smart they would be competing with the Philippines for international business. 

What International business? Call centres? The ones soon to be made obsolete by AI?

3 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

No Chinese blue collar or lower middle class people are thinking about vacationing abroad.

One of China's biggest wealth management firms, Zhongzhi, just declared insolvency, with over $64 billion debt vs under $30 billion assets.  This is the beginning of China's Banking & Financial Services collapse, which is following their Real Estate bubble bursting.

Few want to spend money when everything is up in the air about their future. 

Oh dear I'm absolutely heart broken 

20 minutes ago, IndomitableSpirit said:

I'm currently in Manila, and every day I see busload of Chinese tourists here. They seem polite and just enjoying their time, so despite of China and Philippines being frenemies...

China's economy crashing idea is just nonsense - China tourists are staying away from Thailand because of the fear of getting kidnapped by cyber-scammers operating in Myanmar and Cambodia. The Siam Paragon shooting just gave them an additional reason to avoid Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/24/2023 at 6:05 AM, kingstonkid said:

If Thailand was smart they would be competing with the Philippines for international business.

Philippines has millions of English-speakers, just like India, that's why Western firms outsource some back office operations to BPO companies. Thailand does not have many fluent English speakers, that's why such service jobs don't end up here -- but Thailand has a much better manufacturing sector than the Philippines does.

Could it be Thailand is no longer exotic enough for the Chinese middle-class? I'm saying this because I'm in Portugal right now and I'm seeing something I didn't expect: lots of Chinese tourists. Thailand is not the only country that restored flights with China after Covid.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 5:25 PM, Chris Daley said:

One of the worst airports I have passed though.  The woman was screaming at me and asking why I had a camera.  She then slammed it down on the table.  Lack of signs.  No staff available to ask for directions or help.  No moving walkways.  Smog on the inside of the airport.

I transited through Guangzhou many years ago, one where I had to go offsite to a hotel. I stopped taking Chinese airlines after that.

18 hours ago, mithunonthenet said:

Philippines has millions of English-speakers, just like India, that's why Western firms outsource some back office operations to BPO companies. Thailand does not have many fluent English speakers, that's why such service jobs don't end up here -- but Thailand has a much better manufacturing sector than the Philippines does.

Yes, but it is not that hard there are more English-speaking people here than yo think.  There are also a lot of students who are taking languages at university.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

Not round trip business class surely. I don't see anything under THB120k +

Yes it is a round business class and last year the price was around the THB 140k, hence it being a great deal cheaper. And they are cheaper than many other airlines as I always have a good look around. 

I am more than happy with the price next year especially as the lounges and chauffeur drive really do suit me as well as the onboard service which I cannot fault.