Australian Tourist Allegedly Loses 200,000 Baht to Pickpocket on Pattaya Tour Bus

webfact

15 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Pattaya —An Australian tourist expressed frustration after losing all his belongings and a large sum of money allegedly to a pickpocket on a tour bus while traveling to Pattaya to celebrate Loy Krathong.

On November 27th, around 4:30 PM, Mr. Jeevarass Palasunoram, an Australian tourist in his 30s, reported the incident to Pol. Lt. Col. Natchaphon Saengsi, Deputy Superintendent for investigation at Pattaya Police Station.

According to Mr. Jeevarass, he had taken an air-conditioned tour bus from Ekamai in Bangkok to Pattaya. Upon arriving in Pattaya around 4:30 PM, he discovered that his wallet, containing 9,500 Australian dollars (around 200,000 Thai baht), 1,500 Thai baht, and various documents, was missing from his backpack, which he had placed in the overhead compartment above his seat.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

PHOTO: รักสยาม นิวส์

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-11-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Calling BS on this claim

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Once upon a time, I had the need to have $10,000 cash on my person, on my way to CM from Canada. I used a money belt, and even at that, I was a bit concerned.

Perhaps this naive traveler was on his first trip away from home base and mistook the smiley faces in the travel brochures for honesty.

Niave traveller will always lose stuff. Why anyone would not use a money belt or a

small satchel you keep on your person for packing money, is beyond me.

A wallet in your pocket may be a bit uncomfortable, but is way better than having it stolen.

IMO.

16 hours ago, petermik said:

How the hell did he let that happen...fall asleep?

One would think that the only possibility......most folks would keep a wary eye on it for the complete journey. Not like the old method of someone clambering around in the luggage compartment going through bags. I was thinking it could have happened before he got on the bus, unless he checked it after then. 

As someone has said, the valuables should not leave one's person. 

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And you think the driver has stolen from the backpack while on the road or what?? Did you care to read and understand what happened even vaguely?

He may of had extraordinarily long arms......

06028-Stretch-Armstrong-ABS2.jpg

Edited by Bazerino
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr Jewelers Palasunoram

Wonder what part of Australia he comes from and why he's traveling in a bus with so much money on him. You would expect a nice taxi ride?

And who says he got pickpocketed in the bus? More likely it was taken from him BEFORE his bus ride....

• Agree 1

A few question it is 2hrs from bkk was he asleep or not watching what or who was around him on the bus.If he was carrying all that cash and documents why not on his person in a bag.That is being silly not watching his things or on his body.Now he is well light on a few things for his short trip in thailand now

26 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

When was the last time you saw a $100 note? Largest ATM note is $50 so likely 190 of those.

Is it not possible to pre-order larger amounts, with larger notes from branch offices in Oz. Did that a few times in UK.

45 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

Wonder what part of Australia he comes from and why he's traveling in a bus with so much money on him. You would expect a nice taxi ride?

And who says he got pickpocketed in the bus? More likely it was taken from him BEFORE his bus ride....

Let's not beat about the bush. I'm calling this as insurance fraud from our Sri Lankan friend who also happens to have an Australian passport like so many others do.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Maybe you can explain your idea of the event,

How did the bus driver get in possession?

I think he was referring to money found and handed in to police by bus and taxi drivers after the passengers had been dropped off. He wasn't suggesting the driver had stolen it.