Mid-air madness: Unruly passenger turns Lufthansa flight to Bangkok into chaos

webfact

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
On 12/1/2023 at 5:11 AM, smedly said:

I remember being on a flight with an idiot like this, he eventually got into a physical altercation with a member of cabin crew and I had enough, brought to the floor and restrained - he was arrested when we landed, I got an applause 

Well, aren't you such a wonderful, non-self-aggrandising hero.

OK... so you don't value others who are prepared to step in and prevent people who are doing their jobs from getting attacked....

You'll instead attack them when they repeat their story...   very big of you.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scoobyguy said:

If he kicked off just a few hours into the flight why did they fly all the way to Indian before ditching him, That must be 8-9 hour flight from Munich.

Sure...They could have parachuted him out over Iran!

Or maybe ....

Given the light manner in which this incident was resolved, it never happened as was so breathlessly reported.

In today's world of AI-generated news stories it may even not have happened at all.

But it sure got clicks & outrage!

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK... so you don't value others who are prepared to step in and prevent people who are doing their jobs from getting attacked....

I didn't attack him, I commented on his "story" and his self-aggrandising, glorious action.  The important words being "his story".  "Very big" of you to have decided to interpret it the way you did!

• Agree 1

On 12/1/2023 at 11:38 AM, KhunLA said:

As long as he apologies for trying to set a fire on a flight, and putting everyone life in jeopardy, then all forgiven.  

Until next time, he may actually succeed and crash a flight, hopefully Lufthansa, and any survivors sue the sh!t out of them.

No wonder all these silly incidents on aircrafts are on the rise, as no consequence for bad behavior any more.

I wonder how he managed to get a lighter onto the flight. Was this not picked up at the departure airport?

6 minutes ago, Lancelot01 said:

I wonder how he managed to get a lighter onto the flight. Was this not picked up at the departure airport?

The answer to that been mentioned numerous times through out the thread already...     

Its perfectly acceptable to pass through Airport security with lighter - there are no regulations preventing such.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The answer to that been mentioned numerous times through out the thread already...     

Its perfectly acceptable to pass through Airport security with lighter - there are no regulations preventing such.

I wonder why mine was confiscated at LHR.

4 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

2 minutes ago, Lancelot01 said:

I wonder why mine was confiscated at LHR.

... a number of posters presented the same query (lots of answers to it on page 2 of this thread).

image.png.12c229a1fa51e196238fe52df8353002.png

On 12/3/2023 at 12:35 PM, richard_smith237 said:

and you are on the war path again this time taking on @Liverpool Lou. and as you do for so many others you:

"The important words being "his story".  "Very big" of you to have decided to interpret it the way you did!" (--> quote liverpool lou)

seems i am not the only one calling you out for interpreting things the way YOU want to. easy to keep waffling and waddling when only one AN member calls you out... but eventually everyone here will see you for what you are. a negative peg...

mai pen rai richard... this is just a blog

On 12/1/2023 at 10:28 AM, bendejo said:

Indian prison?  Forget bottled water and clean toilets.  His digestive system will remember this adventure the rest of his days.

And then there is the prisoner experience itself: baksheesh and sadism.

Great place to lose weight, meet new friends and learn a bit of the local culture. 

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

... a number of posters presented the same query (lots of answers to it on page 2 of this thread).

image.png.12c229a1fa51e196238fe52df8353002.png

England, maybe, other places not. Germany does not explicitly mention lighters. America and China clearly say no. Thailand does not explicitly mention them.

Some guy walked into a hot dog stand joint called 'top dog'...

He verbally ordered loudly from behind a bunch of guys sitting at the counter on barstools so he could be heard over the clamour. He ordered a polish dog, a bratwurst with sauerkraut, and a german with copper mustard.

Everyone turned around and stared at him, saying nothing. Apparently, the guy was stoned and thought he just ordered lunch.

What he really said though, due to being stoned and quite high at the time, was "I will take a german, a polski, a brat and a cop".

No takers...

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mansell said:

Why do you need a lighter on a flight when there’s no smoking?

The dumbed down over simplification of this question highlights an underlying lack of common sense. 

Don't you think those who smoke may want to light up at their destination without first having to go shopping for a lighter ?

On 12/5/2023 at 5:32 AM, cjinchiangrai said:

England, maybe, other places not. Germany does not explicitly mention lighters. America and China clearly say no. Thailand does not explicitly mention them.

Whats your point ??... he was on a flight from German and was carrying a lighter... So whats your take-away from that ?

a) He smuggled his lighter through security.

b) There is no restriction on lighters.

Answers on a poster labelled... 'How to focus on Irrelevant points in a forum thread'.....  

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2023 at 8:08 AM, CDG931 said:

The poor man was probably pushed to the limit by his Thai wife. I can relate

Projecting much ???... 

Given his behavior and that his wife continued on with her journey, it would appear that it was her to was 'pushed to the limit'.

She was perhaps happy to see the back of him and have a break !!!.. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2023 at 4:03 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Whats your point ??... he was on a flight from German and was carrying a lighter... So whats your take-away from that ?

Answers on a poster labelled... 'How to focus on Irrelevant points in a forum thread'.....  

There was a previous claim that lighters are legal based on the British rules. They are not necessarily legal. You do not need to be rude in your comments, it was relevant to the posts you did not bother to read.

29 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:
On 12/7/2023 at 12:03 PM, richard_smith237 said:

There was a previous claim that lighters are legal based on the British rules. They are not necessarily legal. You do not need to be rude in your comments, it was relevant to the posts you did not bother to read.

Apologies if you find it rude... but rattling on about the legality of a lighter is irrelevant... 

Its like discussing the legality of carrying a knife when a guy uses a submachine gun in massacre... 

On 12/7/2023 at 4:03 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Could have had a lighter unknowingly on his person and security didn't spot it ?

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

Could have had a lighter unknowingly on his person and security didn't spot it ?

So what ???...  he still had a lighter on him...   whether he took it through security by accident, whether security were slack, whether its legal is irrelevant to the story...  (and its easy to find out that its not illegal).... 

It does amaze me how on these thread people focus on pointless irrelevancies in a story which contains a far bigger issue... 

i.e.  Guy dies driving to a funeral... and someone will focus on whether he was wearing a watch...

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So what ???...  he still had a lighter on him...   whether he took it through security by accident, whether security were slack, whether its legal is irrelevant to the story...  (and its easy to find out that its not illegal).... 

It does amaze me how on these thread people focus on pointless irrelevancies in a story which contains a far bigger issue... 

i.e.  Guy dies driving to a funeral... and someone will focus on whether he was wearing a watch...

It is relevant when they are trying to ignite a passenger. Please keep up.

• 1 month later...

We were on that flight. Well in the air, I noticed the flight information system pointed to Delhi as final destination, Previously it was Bangkok. I spoke to a flight attendant about it, who was immediately joined  by a superior. They asked me to keep quiet about it and to not inform other passengers. However, they explained the situation on the upper deck. We were seating on the lower deck. Within seconds the flight information system got switched of. Passengers were not informed officially about what was developing. Just the regular pre landing routine with worrying faces. Only after landing and while refueling (with all passengers on board!) the captain explained the situation and apologized for the stop and delay. Tree hours late over schedule we arrived at BKK. This situation caused a major negative chain reaction for a lot of passengers.
Due to this disruption, we missed our connection in Bangkok, leaving us unable to reach our pre-booked hotel. Faced with significant problems, we had to secure alternative accommodations. Despite these hardships, Lufthansa offered no compensation. To compound matters, one of our bags was irreparably damaged. Although we received a ticket number and Dolfi1920 contact details, the replacement bags offered by Dolfi1920 did not match our damaged suitcase. Consequently, we opted to purchase a superior replacement, incurring additional costs. Apparently, we felt for the Lufthansa/Dolfi1920 scam and are still waiting for our paid new bags. 2 months later and being 1.000 km away from our initial starting point and where the bags are supposed to be delivered!