Losing my religion

bignok

6 minutes ago, bignok said:

Might go there.

You can keep your phone and you don't have to be silent. That's as lax a retreat as you can get. 

You can also opt into silence by wearing a Silence-badge (no one will talk to you or talk near you).

A silent retreat with no phone is at least 10 times more impactful, but whatev's.

The food is veg. curry with a lot of cabbage in it and rice. Not much food after lunch.

Downer: the chanting (long and dull). But Asians love a good, long vibrational chant. If you try to dodge the chant, they will come knocking on your little kufti-hut door. In the west, it's either chant-lite or chant-optional.

3 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

You can keep your phone and you don't have to be silent. That's as lax a retreat as you can get. 

You can also opt into silence by wearing a Silence-badge (no one will talk to you or talk near you).

A silent retreat with no phone is at least 10 times more impactful, but whatev's.

The food is veg. curry with a lot of cabbage in it and rice. Not much food after lunch.

Downer: the chanting (long and dull). But Asians love a good, long vibrational chant. If you try to dodge the chant, they will come knocking on your little kufti-hut door. In the west, it's either chant-lite or chant-optional.

The bungalows looked ok. Sounds alright to me. Try 3 days. If no good no loss. Donation only too i think. 

• Haha 1

Just now, bignok said:

Donation only too i think. 

300 baht a day is the whitie expectation, but they'd be very forgiving.

A desk clerk in MHS drove us there for free. Due to our sack of rice, she piggy backed on our merit (and brought a big box of laundry detergent herself).

It's very unstructured. Consider downloading some guided meditations. Joseph Goldstein (my fave teacher) has some good ones for free. Or just go to Youtube a see what one you like.

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

Are we allowed to name those we wish would stay off AN?

I think you need a hobby. Nobody forces you to read my topics or troll. You obviously are addicted to trolling. Yet your trolls are the dumbest of the lot.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

300 baht a day is the whitie expectation, but they'd be very forgiving.

A desk clerk in MHS drove us there for free. Due to our sack of rice, she piggy backed on our merit (and brought a big box of laundry detergent herself).

It's very unstructured. Consider downloading some guided meditations. Joseph Goldstein (my fave teacher) has some good ones for free. Or just go to Youtube a see what one you like.

Id give 300 to 500 a day. 8 hours drive from Sukhothai.

On 12/1/2023 at 6:28 PM, bignok said:

I asked before about meditation retreats but asking again for clarity from those that have done 7 days to 30 days.

Does it improve your ability to relax? Disconnect? Zone out or zone in? Does it improve your patience? Improve your ability to not care?

Regarding the ability to not give a $hit......old age can do that for you. In the words of Ramana Maharshi :- There is neither creation nor destruction, neither destiny nor free will, neither path nor achievement. This is the final truth.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Why did you feel the need to respond to that particular post as you were not even mentioned in it but for some reason you must have assumed that I was directing it at you?

Buddy you have been trolling for months. 100% off topic.

How old are you? 15?

Why post on topics of no interest?

You must be a peanut.

I can see a small little man. 

Edited by bignok
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Regarding the ability to not give a $hit......old age can do that for you. In the words of Ramana Maharshi :- There is neither creation nor destruction, neither destiny nor free will, neither path nor achievement. This is the final truth.

True. 

20 minutes ago, bignok said:

Buddy you have been trolling for months. 100% off topic.

How old are you? 15?

Why post on topics of no interest?

You must be a peanut.

I can see a small little man. 

Any chance of answering the question, why did YOU respond to a question that was not directed at you?

I assume you are looking in the mirror when you made the pointless age, peanut and little man comments above!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Not sure how there can be no free will and no destiny. I suppose a third option is that we are automatons programmed in a certain way and reacting to a random environment in predictable ways. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

31 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Not sure how there can be no free will and no destiny. I suppose a third option is that we are automatons programmed in a certain way and reacting to a random environment in predictable ways. 

I assume he was referring to the belief that there is only Brahman (consciousness in modern language) and that all manifestations are illusions (maya) of Brahman, illusions have neither free will or destiny nor can there be a creation or destruction of anything that is not material. If one believes in the power of causality as the only power in a material world then that statement is also true, causality can't be predetermined as fate nor can it be acted upon to achieve a reliable free will event as causality is unpredictable, its starting point (big bang) lies to far in the past and the variables are too many to calculate, it is only possible to have the illusion of free will or destiny. Donald Hoffman (cognitive scientist) illustrates this in his 'The end of Spacetime', which he shows is just an interface for consciousness.

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

No mention of a fight. I was planning on a beer.

As a certifiable retard, it is your privilege to run away from yet another comically veiled threat.

How many of these retard-blustery he-man moves  have you made here?

I'm going going to put the number at about 6. What gets into you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Prubangboy said:

As a certifiable retard, it is your privilege to run away from yet another comically veiled threat.

How many of these retard-blustery he-man moves  have you made here?

I'm going going to put the number at about 6. What gets into you?

I think the drugs have fried your brain. I have no interest in starting fights. You have lost the plot.

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:24 PM, Chongalulu said:

Talk to your imaginary friend then...

Right. So you are an atheist who wants to discuss sex because you have had many women or you just lost your virginity?

Why don't you expand a little more.

On 12/2/2023 at 6:22 PM, Ben Zioner said:

I'd be devastated if you were my dad.

If I was able to father a kid and my GF started talking about it I'd either start using condoms and checking them for holes or get a vasectomy ( or dump her ).

Any man doesn't actually know he wants a kid should be sterilised before he brings another unwanted soul onto the planet, IMO.

On 12/3/2023 at 2:41 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Many responses are programmed into humans ( fight or flight for instance ), to enable survival of the species. However, we are able to overcome the program eg soldiers can be trained not to run away.