Pattaya makes the top 10 list on Expats best low budget places to move abroad!

Jingthing

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The 10 Cheapest Retirement Cities for Frugal Boomers - The Expat Test (expatsi.com)

I've noticed this trend for about 5 years.

Pattaya FINALLY is getting noticed in international retirement abroad media as a very desirable expat destination as opposed to only a sexpat destination.

Credit where credit is due.

Pattaya makes the top 10 Expatsi list. 

No other place in Thailand made it.

Take that rip off Chiang Mai and choky smoky Chiang Mai.

You really need to equate your gushing praise with the nature of the accolade. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Pattaya FINALLY is getting noticed in international retirement abroad media as a very desirable expat destination

Umm it got noticed in a race to the bottom :whistling:  I guess if cheapest is the criteria for desirable then ok ;)

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Take that rip off Chiang Mai and choky smoky Chiang Mai.

I might eventually have to agree.

This next smoke season is said to be running March to June due to El Niño -so a little worse than last year. A place I love is def less lovable if I have to rearrange my life 25% of the time.

We've re-signed for another year (no rent raise). If Smoke Season '25 looks dire, we're gone. 

In which case, The  Dark Side of Pattaya starts to make sense (not into the beach partic) for having the mix of whitie pleasures and services; not to mention other whities. Close to Bangkok one way, lots of lovely towns like Chantaburi the other way.

Nonthaburi BKK is another option. I'm going to look in on Phuket this year for the first time since '99.

Unless you have a GF who's putting out sex, going to No Whitie-Land is self-flagellation (and not the good kind). Reports here say that that the ardor cools substantially around month 5 in Roi Et.

20 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

I might eventually have to agree.

This next smoke season is said to be running March to June due to El Niño -so a little worse than last year. A place I love is def less lovable if I have to rearrange my life 25% of the time.

We've re-signed for another year (no rent raise). If Smoke Season '25 looks dire, we're gone. 

In which case, The  Dark Side of Pattaya starts to make sense (not into the beach partic) for having the mix of whitie pleasures and services; not to mention other whities. Close to Bangkok one way, lots of lovely towns like Chantaburi the other way.

Nonthaburi BKK is another option. I'm going to look in on Phuket this year for the first time since '99.

I wouldn't have thought you'd want the Dark side as I had assumed everything is spread out unless you want a house. Nothing like I picture Nimman though I am taking both based on youtube so could be completely wrong.

I thought Pratumnak or  Wongamat or maybe a quiet offstreet in the main centres but walking distance to the shops might be more your cup of tea. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

I went there. Stayed 1 night and left. Looked like a rubbish dump.

Funny. In my 3 days I was sort of pleasantly surprised in some ways in that it seemed like a normal city. Not much for a tourist who wants palm trees and a beach but lots of infrastructure and shops and whatever. Kind of nice in parts though a lot of traffic. Don't remember piles of rubbish or stuff like that. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I thought Pratumnak or  Wongamat or maybe a quiet offstreet in the main centres but walking distance to the shops 

Thanks for the recco's. I've spent maybe 2 hours in The Dark Side, long ago. A proper survey of Pattaya awaits. The outliers like Jomptien etc. also makes the short list of such places.

My superficial takeaway is that Pattaya is basically smaller Miami on a budget. 'Can't fault it.

Having a mix of walkability, gym, and idiosyncratic restaurants means being adjacent to a tourist zone. Thai people alone can't keep a vegan-only Mexican restaurant open.

In Nimman, I'm a poor prospect for buying a Durian ice cream cone, but a place like that will also have six different ethnicity restaurants on either side of it.

Some people move to Thailand for cheap sex. We moved here for cheap sushi.

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

What is it with people who don't like Pattaya always coming on the Pattaya forum to trash talk Pattaya.

Maybe us Pattaya people should visit the Chang Mai and Issan forums to constantly highlight all the negatives about where these people choose to live?

If you want. You are welcome to opinions like we are. Lampang is a rubbish dump too as is Ubon. So there, you know I'm not biased.